Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Mutton As Lamb

(107 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Wed 19-Oct-22 11:01:57

I really dislike that saying!im interested in hearing others opinions, for instance which items of Clothing would you love to wear but you consider them too young, I’m mid sixties but draw the line at mini skirts, very low tops showing cleavage, but wear faux leather trousers etc,

BlueBelle Wed 19-Oct-22 17:56:22

I wear long shorts and vest tops in summer I like a bit of cleavage legs are still ok so skinny stuff fine luckily still have reasonable boobs late 70 s …..don’t feel it
I wouldn’t wear a bikini though one piece best now

Yammy Wed 19-Oct-22 18:06:41

Mini skirts and low-cut tops. I never was very flamboyant and wish I had been. I've still got the legs but no bottom and a large stomach I would look like a lopsided toffee apple.

vegansrock Wed 19-Oct-22 18:14:14

I wouldn’t wear anything too short, too tight, too low or uncomfortable. I’m size 8/10 and tallish but no bust so I like oversized tops, midi dresses, DMs, jeans, denim jackets, jumpsuits and dungarees.

snowberryZ Wed 19-Oct-22 18:19:22

I say wear what you want. I dislike the term mutton dressed as lamb
The only two items of clothing I think is suited best to younger people are crop tops that show the midriff. Never seen anyone over the age of 20 wearing one. They seem to be favoured mainly by slim teens wirh washboard flat stomachs!
The other thing that I wouldn't wear is a bikini bottom with most of the ass cheeks showing. Loads of young women wearing this style on the beach when we were in our hols
Alright if your bum is young and pert. not such a great look on a bum that's older and gone south a bit.confused

hollysteers Wed 19-Oct-22 18:31:56

Snowedunder Peacocks have tunics. I have a couple and wear them with thick tights, boots and a polo neck sweater.
Don’t like wrinkly cleavages (legs or boobs, not both).
Generally go for comfort, but a few times in the week, I make an effort and if it’s a night out, I don’t mind being a little uncomfortable for the result, wide belt pulled in, kitten heel, lashes etc.
A drag queen said that when she felt uncomfortable, she was ready.
Without going that far, there’s some truth in it.

MissAdventure Wed 19-Oct-22 18:36:36

Mutton dressed as lamb belongs in the 'everyday ageism' forum (if they that hasn't gone the same way as the 'benefits' one)

karmalady Wed 19-Oct-22 18:43:43

tunic length and leggings for me, now I have lost weight. I have also cut out a nice pair of dungarees

snowedunder I am 4`11 and make everything for my wardrobe, all in good quality cloth like linens

You can get very good leggings for short people from snag tights, the 7/8 length are perfect

I wear jeans and nice hm sweatshirts and have various tops and shackets on standbye as well as shapely dresses

Serendipity22 Wed 19-Oct-22 19:08:52

Well, im late 50's and i know for a fact that the days of mini skirts have gone as have the low cut tops. I am a big believer in tops to cover my unshaped arse, which I have to add was always worth showing off... I emphasise the word was. Loose fitting tops to hide the unshaped tum, can't quite understand the need for figure hugging tops that show every ripple, but hey, thats just my opinion, each to their own, hey ho.

So its hide the worst and highlight the best.... pretty simple.... ohh and very importantly- know when to wear it !!!!!!

storynanny Wed 19-Oct-22 22:20:32

Snowedunder Seasalt cord shift dresses are knee length on my 5’2” 66 year old body I’ve got several. They are my winter u inform with a long sleeved t shirt underneath and thick matching tight.
The style I really like is called West Pentire dress and they usually bring out a new colour each year. No need to iron and you can usually find a discount code
Eg 35% off quite often for teachers, retired teachers. NHS etc

MawtheMerrier Thu 20-Oct-22 08:11:03

If you really dislike that saying OP why perpetuate it by using it?
You are entitled to your opinion about age- or size- appropriate clothing but judgements such as “mutton dressed as lamb” or worse “carrion dressed as mutton” (!) do not belong in our society.

Calendargirl Thu 20-Oct-22 10:58:30

Do you ever see mutton for sale anymore?

Not in either of our two local butchers.

Obviously sheep have found the secret of eternal youth, unlike us.

????????

MrsKen33 Thu 20-Oct-22 16:16:43

I remember years ago, going to a butcher with my aunt to pick up a leg of lamb, for Easter lunch. It was quite large. “No way is that a lamb” she shouted at the butcher. “Mutton ,that is mutton”.
He took quite a lot off the price and she took it home. “Better flavour anyway” she said

MissAdventure Thu 20-Oct-22 16:17:36

So it really was mutton done up as lamb.

Joseanne Thu 20-Oct-22 16:48:12

My border collie had a tag on her collar which said "the only good sheep is on a leg of mutton."
? ?

MrsKen33 Thu 20-Oct-22 17:25:02

Absolutely MissA. ???

MrsKen33 Thu 20-Oct-22 18:43:31

Though it could have been leg of Ram !!!!

Bilboben Fri 21-Oct-22 11:10:07

Or mutton dressed as ram ?

Rosalyn69 Fri 21-Oct-22 11:25:16

I dress to please me. I don’t wear shorts as my legs are awful. I like long floaty dresses and think black tights and boots. I buy clothes I like and enjoy wearing. If that makes me mutton I actually don’t care

Lynndy Fri 21-Oct-22 11:26:33

Naughtyneine

I'm still wearing it all and I'm not going to see 65 again ..vest tops...skirts above my knees...shorts in Summer ( admittedly not very short shorts to go out but at home my Daisy Dukes as my DOH calls them are on as soon as the sun is out. I break the make up rule of either eyes or lips every day and I wear it all with a smile and give thanks that I'm still able to...too many friends didn't live long enough to get the chance. Finally I really don't care what people think of me... I'm only passing this way once.

Good on you! Best way if you have the attitude!

IrishDancing Fri 21-Oct-22 11:32:45

I’m generally in agreement with MrsKen33 and I think some of what’s been mentioned is “young” but not “stylish” - they’re two different things. But if people want to wear what they’ve always worn that’s up to them.

debsf1 Fri 21-Oct-22 11:38:48

As far as I’m concerned, if it looks good I’ll wear it. I’m 65 and have every intention of growing old disgracefully, I’m only this young once. ?.

Rosina Fri 21-Oct-22 11:41:24

Winter wear is better for me - I like midi or knee length skirts and dresses with opaque tights, as my legs are a decent shape . However, plunging necklines have always looked terrible as I had little bust as a young woman, and still now only an exciting display of rib cage. Like a lot of 'Sixties Girls' I feel undressed without something around the eyes . A little khol - very subtle - and some mascara make me feel less like a rabbit!

Fleurpepper Fri 21-Oct-22 11:41:34

Well of course- their choice.

But honestly, going over the top is just not a good look. And I personally do not want to see lots of flesh in psbd imposed on me either. In Split a couple of weeks ago, so many Russian women with pumped up lips and faces that could hardly move and false eye lashes that almost obliterated the eyes, tight leopard skin leggings with white high heels and silicon boobs hanging out. Just looked ridiculous- and not glamorous at all.

Have fun, wear what you want- but a bit of flair and taste does not go amiss!

Dee1012 Fri 21-Oct-22 11:42:02

There are certain item's that I won't wear, not because of my age but because they aren't right for my proportions and just don't look right on me.
I've always held to that.....
If I feel happy in what I'm wearing and it's appropriate for what I'm doing, then that's fine with me!

Lainey23 Fri 21-Oct-22 11:44:38

? Absolutely Chocolatelovinggran!! Not me! ??