Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Mutton As Lamb

(107 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Wed 19-Oct-22 11:01:57

I really dislike that saying!im interested in hearing others opinions, for instance which items of Clothing would you love to wear but you consider them too young, I’m mid sixties but draw the line at mini skirts, very low tops showing cleavage, but wear faux leather trousers etc,

Allsorts Sun 30-Oct-22 07:54:12

I think anything goes these days, I regularly see very large ladies in skin tight leggings and skimpy tops, they are owning their truth apparently as my grandson says. I personally like to look nicely turned out, no ripped jeans, bare midriffs, mine has gone anyway, no plunging tops although my cleavage still good to make up for the rest of me. No high heels, I love them but I would break my neck. I like fashion but perhaps a watered down version. I will never look 30 or 40 again but I can try to look ok for my age, not many people notice now I think, although a neighbour did say the other day, I love your coat but then you always look good, it made my day. The coat was 20'years old.

SparklyGrandma Fri 28-Oct-22 12:33:12

MFor me dressing no no’s are;

Too short dresses or skirts.
No cleavage.
No animal prints.
No too short shorts.
No big checks.
No to not wearing a bra.

A clean groomed look is what I prefer, but every woman to her own. Luckily here we can wear what we choose. I expect we all look lovely when dressed for anything ☕️

M0nica Sat 22-Oct-22 22:54:28

less so now than it used to be, but at one point I cam to the conclusion that most women wore whatever suited them in their 40s for the rest of their lives, and by looking at an older woman and identifying the decade, her taste in dress ceased evolving enabled me to make a good estimation of her age.

But as I said, that is no longer as true as it was.

Sara1954 Sat 22-Oct-22 21:44:32

I haven’t massively changed my style over the years, a bit hippyish, long dresses and skirts, pretty tops.
My winter style for work is ankle length straight skirts, and big soft jumpers.
I’m probably a bit old for some of the floaty dresses I’m so fond of, but who cares.

Iam64 Sat 22-Oct-22 20:28:20

I find animal prints on any age group rather unpleasant

M0nica Sat 22-Oct-22 19:16:26

Sorry, Sarah, but no,no,no from me. I find animal prints on older women are very aging.

Sarah74 Sat 22-Oct-22 18:56:58

SparklyGrandma

No animal prints for a start ?…..

Ooh, disagree with you there! Check out these pics.

SparklyGrandma Sat 22-Oct-22 18:47:26

No animal prints for a start ?…..

Iam64 Sat 22-Oct-22 18:31:06

When I was about 60 my youngest daughter came clothes shopping with me. I was going for safe, boring options for work, where I needed formal wear. She took me to task and gig me wearing shorter, more fitted clothes. I’ve never retreated to safety since.

Hemelbelle Sat 22-Oct-22 17:49:59

I follow the advice I was given many years ago that once over 40 it is OK to wear short skirts and low cut tops, just not together.

About 10 years ago whilst still in my early 50s a colleague told me that the middi length skirt I was wearing made me look like an old woman. I didn't wear it again and donated to a charity shop (for someone else to look like an old woman)! For work I now wear skirts that are just above the knee.

In hot weather I wear shorts rather than very short skirts especially for dog walking as I do like tanned legs (and all the extra vitamin D).

Generally I wear whatever I feel comfortable in for the occasion and would only consider myself as at risk of looking like 'mutton dressed as lamb' if I had a bare midriff or my skirt was so short there would be a danger of seeing my knickers (hence the shorts in summer).

Madashell Sat 22-Oct-22 10:48:45

Started making my own clothes from 11. As a teenager I was into 1920s vintage. In my 20s it was the floaty Indian style dresses (excellent for the pregnant woman), 30s what ever I could afford that was comfortable enough for sitting on the floor with the children and dog walking. 40s bias cut flimsy nightdress dresses became popular - no chance as the hips started to spread despite all the dance classes. 50s a uniform for work and slouchy comfortable stuff at home. And now it’s either tatty work clothes for gardening etc or stretchy showerproof walking gear. We never go out anywhere special but there is a 30yr old pair of wide leg stretch velvet trousers if necessary.
One memory has just come to me of the scratchy wool Rupert Bear type trousers my mother made me buy with my birthday money. They were vile. I was not allowed to wear warm tights in the winter just long socks - was I tougher in those days or just bloody cold?

Am now only able to wear my hiking shoes outside as my knee is in real trouble - used to love shoes. Sadly now I have reached the comfy shoe stage of life, old age really has nothing going for it!

luluaugust Sat 22-Oct-22 10:20:29

I'm fine with what I wear until I see a photograph.

Madwoman11 Sat 22-Oct-22 10:05:31

HeavenLeigh I'm exactly the same as you. I love tight biker jeans and anything goes basically as long ax I'm not exposing too much flesh.
I'm not your typical pensioner ?

Frankie51 Sat 22-Oct-22 05:21:36

I'm 5'4", and mini /short skirts reach just above my knee and so I wear them still. Anything longer swamps me. Women seem to be quite tall these days . I tried on one of those Little House on the Prairie type dresses so popular at the moment and it looked ridiculous. It reached the floor . My legs are still quite good thanks to my seniors ballet classes and cycling, so although I'm 71, I shall continue with my short skirts . I've kept my long hair too.I look wrong with it short. I don't really care much what people think anyway.

madeleine45 Sat 22-Oct-22 00:40:39

My legs have always been quite good, just need to be 4 inches longer!!! As a woman of champagne taste, but beer money, I have never followed fashions. What money I had saved was for much more important things , like opera cds and art and travelling to meet new people and countries etc., I have always respected dress codes and 50 years ago always carried a large headscarf so that if I came across a church or temple I had some head covering to show respect. I married in 1968 with trad white dress etc but my going away outfit was a honey gold cord long sleeved tunic with metal clip shutters and matching hot pants. Very good quality cloth. When hot pants went out of fashion or it was winter and colder I teemed the tunic with dark brown trousers and had a small filmy dark brown scarf and that made a good outfit. Then after a few years I didnt wear it but the material far too good to throw away. Some years later there was a float in the local carnival from the library and they were doing animals , and my son (whose name is Daniel!) went as a lion. My lovely husband used the tunic for the skin , made a mask and paws for his hands of somewhat darker velvety material and used curtain fringing for the mane . They won a prize But back to the real question. Apart from making sure I do not offend people I mostly wear stuff for comfort, ease of cleaning, mix and match , and of good quality material. So my best bargain was an Ann Harvey shop closing down and I bought a sky blue silk shirt type blouse with collar and long sleeves for £12.50 well over 10 years ago. I put it with black velvet trousers and they look fine for eating out, going to a concert or whatever and are comfortable. I also have a batik very thin elasticated waist voile dress for summer . It is full length and takes very little room in a bag, so ok to go out in the evening , or if you have been swimming can go over costume. So sublime to ridiculous. When I am not trying to look reasonably ok while I am singing or out in the evening I am in comfortable T shirts and trousers of various ages and styles. So long as they are clean to put on, I really couldnt give a damn what anyone thinks. When I am gardening or doing jobs the bit that counts is , are there good pockets to stick stuff in,can I bend and stretch in them easily. Occasionally I see a picture in a paper or magazine and comment , oh yes I have got some like that - but often I have had them from the last time there were in fashion. Hate 3/4 sleeves on anything , again practicalities. Short you can put a jacket over, or long sleeved you can hold the end and put jacket on. Blasted 3/4 sleeves are designed by men who never attempt to we4ar them in the real world. They either ride up, or you have an unsightly ridge under the jacket. So cashmere, pure cotton and silk are my favourites but not in my price range normally.. So long as I can wash them I would rather look in the charity shop and get quality stuff that I can wash than wear horrible synthetics, but that just me. Many many years ago i did some modelling with vidal Sassoon - think good hair cut like Mary Quant style and also swimwear etc. The ideas I had then still work today. Take care which clothes and accessories you choose in the beginning. Make an effort with your make up and comb hair well . Check in the mirror for hems, backs of shoes not scuffed etc. Once you see you are as well as you can be go out there and totally forget about it and do what you intended to. So long as you and your clothes are clean , that is all that matters and there is much more to pay attention to. Once met a woman at an office do who was wearing exactly matching clothes but different accessories. She started to apologise to me - dont know why , it is a free country - but I said to her . "Not at all, it is good to see someone else with good taste!!"

Amalegra Sat 22-Oct-22 00:20:05

At 66 I still wear pretty much what I’ve always worn (not minis, short shorts, bikinis-I never liked them even when young!). Sometimes I do have to look at myself in my long mirror and say ‘no, love’ which is what my dear mum used to say when I was wearing something she considered didn’t suit me! The other day I tried on a lovely, rather clingy sparkly dress which I have had for some time and which I hoped would be ok for Christmas. Midi length, scoop neck, subtle print, Miss Selfridge. Body looked ok I think! (I’m the same size I was at eighteen) but I’d have to cut my head off to wear it- my face just didn’t match at all so I sadly gave it to my daughter…you do have to be careful sometimes!

Jb2022 Fri 21-Oct-22 22:29:02

Seasalt Cornwall have gorgeous dresses

Iam64 Fri 21-Oct-22 20:44:18

I enjoy clothes and believe women should and generally do, dress to please themselves.

Deedaa Fri 21-Oct-22 20:15:24

I always choose my clothes by shape rather than age. This time of year it's mainly straight cut jeans and tunic tops. Summer wardrobe is wide linen trousers with a vest top or T shirt, or a long boho skirt with a vest top.

Allsorts Fri 21-Oct-22 20:02:17

I wore the shortest mini skirts many years ago but never showed my cleavage. I have still got the legs for short skirts but not the face., I would look ridiculous.

Lupin Fri 21-Oct-22 19:51:15

There are some very stylish Grans about who can get away with wearing what would not suit me. I wear what I think suits me. I love clothes, but because of body shape (apple), and height I feel limited. What I do have is a good skin and decolletage and I go as low as I feel comfortable with. I cannot wear tight tops and don't feel secure in off the shoulder or bare shoulder because I need a good bra. Oh! How I would love to not need a good bra. I bought a midi dress, that skims my shape, from White Stuff recently and some footless tights and thick soled trainers and feel a million dollars in them. I am 76. Yay!

henetha Fri 21-Oct-22 18:19:14

I'm just comfortably colourful these days. Still feel invisible though, not that I care much.
I used to love mini skirts but would not wear them now.
I think we should all just wear what we want.

kittypaws49 Fri 21-Oct-22 16:44:32

I'd rather somebody looked outlandish rather than frumpy, by that I mean for example, a fleece top,boring synthetic trousers and flat sensible shoes. I call it the "totally given up" look.
And I can't stand on any age tight leggings with a short top. Usually worn by people who should have asked " does my bum look big in these ? "

Sandynan Fri 21-Oct-22 16:22:36

I used to be quite a trendsetter in my youth eighties) now I don’t have any confidence in myself and body. I’m 5:4 and size 14 pear shaped. Thick legs so hate leggings, can never find dresses that suit Aline look best but they all seem to be waisted atm. I just wear boring straight leg jeans and jumpers/ hoodies or tights- shirts. I would never wear short skirts etc as too self conscious.

4allweknow Fri 21-Oct-22 16:10:51

I think it's not the legs looking good in short length clothes it's what does the knee area look like. I have reasonably slim legs but when I look at my knees in thick tights I cringe. I can see nothing other than a big lump so short lengths out for me. Brilliant white veneers or crowns on front, can't stand them on anyone!