Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

New fashion women's jeans.

(182 Posts)
Lillian40 Thu 30-Dec-21 16:24:22

At last wider leg jeans, lets be honest, how many older women look good in tight or narrow leg jeans.. Even some younger women would do themselves a favour and not show of the huge hips' and unshapely legs. We cant all look like models. I have walked behind bandy legs, bowie legs, spindle legs and fat legs. Not a pretty sight. How much more feminine we will all look in the wider leg jeans. The problem is where do you purchase them, they are promoted but in which store.???

GreyKnitter Thu 30-Dec-21 18:07:58

Contentiously I like the slim legged jeans and think they look good on me!

crazyH Thu 30-Dec-21 18:09:08

Scotsmum flowers

aonk Thu 30-Dec-21 18:13:50

I like jeans which are on the skinny side but not too tight around the legs. I find that buying them one size too big solves the problem. I should add that I have rather a large waist and tummy so it works for me!

H1954 Thu 30-Dec-21 18:23:25

I hope Lillian never walks behind me....whatever would she think to see one very normal leg and the other extremely swollen, disfigured and mis-aligned leg! Must be wonderful to be anywhere near perfect and how sad that she cannot source the wonderful jeans she so desires!

DerbyshireLass Thu 30-Dec-21 18:24:03

Well said Scotsmum. Born with a birthmark on my face, "too tall", naturally slender, baby fine hair I can resonate with all you say. Criticised by my father for my looks, patronised by my mother, pitied by neighbours and school teachers......

For years my legs were my one redeeming feature, alas not now, scars, varicose veins, cellulite you name it. I rarely show them these days but I don't care. They work just fine and they serve me proud. I can walk, run (sort of) jump, skip, dance, who cares what they look like.

Sorry Lillian, I hate to say it but I agree your post was unkind and totally unnecessary. If you wanted to know where to buy wide legged jeans you only had to ask and you would have received helpful advice as to the best stockists, prices etc. there was no need to launch into a cruel diatribe about the appearance of others.

Not all of us have been gifted by perfect faces and bodies. If you have, then good luck to you, but perhaps spare a thought for your aesthetically challenged sisters.

Visgir1 Thu 30-Dec-21 18:25:15

Just pop into M&S and try on a selection (can still use changing rooms??).
I have a selection of straight, skinny, and my favourite atm is "Mom" jeans, rolled up or with ankle boots big jumper and massive scarf.
Have fun selecting.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 30-Dec-21 18:30:15

Some young girls always fashion regardless of whether it suits them. It was ever thus. They learn what suits them in time. I'd love to look good in skinny jeans but my swollen arthritic knees rule them out. Straight legs are fine. Wide legs flapping around, no way.

Lizzie72 Thu 30-Dec-21 18:30:54

GreyKnitter

Contentiously I like the slim legged jeans and think they look good on me!

Me too!

dogsmother Thu 30-Dec-21 18:48:03

Visgirl another vote for the mom jeans! So comfortable and I get a lot of compliments from younger folk too. My dd bought them not sure I’d have been brave enough to go for them initially.

Pepper59 Thu 30-Dec-21 18:55:15

Merlot, I like the bootcut jeans, but have great difficulty finding them.

Bixiboo Thu 30-Dec-21 23:03:01

Think it all depends on a persons height and body shape as to what jeans suit them. Any lady of any age can wear jeans and most people learn which type suits them and what they feel most comfortable in. I wouldn’t wear wider leg jeans myself as being only 5 feet tall they would look and feel a bit silly.

Kittye Thu 30-Dec-21 23:59:53

Thank god I’m older and don’t give a toss what anyone thinks or else I might develop some phobia about the way I look in my jeans ?

BlueBelle Fri 31-Dec-21 05:13:42

I d never heard if mom jeans so looked them up…what is the difference ? They look the same as skinny jeans
Whats good about them please ?

BlueBalou Fri 31-Dec-21 06:10:54

Isn’t it sad that some women feel it necessary to judge other women’s appearances? I have never heard of men doing this to their peers!
Quite frankly so long as I look relatively respectable I don’t care what anyone else thinks i looks like. Judging others on their appearance is unpleasant and completely unnecessary.

BigBertha1 Fri 31-Dec-21 06:28:50

I prefer boot cut jeans they seem to balance me better but they are harder to get than they used to be. My legs look like a sausage in a skin even in straight leg jeans and I'm too short for wide legs except perhaps linen trousers in the summer or silky evening trousers.

dogsmother Fri 31-Dec-21 07:06:32

Blue belle.
The mom jeans I have are high waisted, loose around the hips and thighs, and generally looser they are shorter in the leg I mainly wear them with short boots rolled up or rolled down if trainers.
I’m a skinny jeans or bootcut usually. I always like comfort, too old for anything else.

Froglady Fri 31-Dec-21 07:13:27

Lillian40

At last wider leg jeans, lets be honest, how many older women look good in tight or narrow leg jeans.. Even some younger women would do themselves a favour and not show of the huge hips' and unshapely legs. We cant all look like models. I have walked behind bandy legs, bowie legs, spindle legs and fat legs. Not a pretty sight. How much more feminine we will all look in the wider leg jeans. The problem is where do you purchase them, they are promoted but in which store.???

I need wide leg jeans as I have a condition called lypodemia which means the fat cells from the hips down try so hard to retain their fat that it is very hard to have slim legs, so these jeans are perfect for me. Nothing to do with how I look in other jeans - I simply can't get my legs into any other fit.

Kathy73 Fri 31-Dec-21 07:30:36

How are you today, Lillian40 ?

NotAGran55 Fri 31-Dec-21 07:39:01

What an unpleasant post Lillian40

As you haven’t returned I’m guessing that you are a G F as they would say over on Mumsnet?
Why don’t you post the same question there and see what they have to say!?

BlueBelle Fri 31-Dec-21 07:48:15

Thanks Dogsmother I haven’t seen them around
I like skinny jeans I used to really like bootcut which are more comfortable than skinnies but you just can’t get them anywhere around my neck of the woods
I ve got cotton wide leg dungarees for the summer but don’t think I look good in wide legged trousers or jeans in winter clothes
Ahh well I ll just carry on as I am

lemsip Fri 31-Dec-21 08:48:41

Lillian40.... I read your post with a chuckle as I'm sure you intended.... Hang on in there.

time was when you could go and just buy a pair of jeans, now there are so many different styles in M&S and price range from £19 to £68.. and they are no longer denim anyway... I wear the skinny range .

Visgir1 Fri 31-Dec-21 09:03:11

dogsmother

Blue belle.
The mom jeans I have are high waisted, loose around the hips and thighs, and generally looser they are shorter in the leg I mainly wear them with short boots rolled up or rolled down if trainers.
I’m a skinny jeans or bootcut usually. I always like comfort, too old for anything else.

Spot on dogmother .. I have had comments from folk saying how "trendy" they are different from the normal.

Coastpath Fri 31-Dec-21 10:24:43

Bowie legs?

Millie22 Fri 31-Dec-21 10:33:08

Wide leg jeans. No thanks. Far too 1970's with all that material flapping round your legs.

MayBeMaw Fri 31-Dec-21 10:36:51

Coastpath

Bowie legs?

????