Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

New fashion women's jeans.

(182 Posts)
Lillian40 Thu 30-Dec-21 16:24:22

At last wider leg jeans, lets be honest, how many older women look good in tight or narrow leg jeans.. Even some younger women would do themselves a favour and not show of the huge hips' and unshapely legs. We cant all look like models. I have walked behind bandy legs, bowie legs, spindle legs and fat legs. Not a pretty sight. How much more feminine we will all look in the wider leg jeans. The problem is where do you purchase them, they are promoted but in which store.???

humbertplug Mon 07-Nov-22 12:38:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

nadateturbe Tue 04-Jan-22 10:32:03

Lillian40 Have sent you a pm.

Doodledog Tue 04-Jan-22 09:37:02

I, too, hope you’re ok, if you’re still reading this, Lillian.

It can get very ‘Mean Girls’ on here sometimes, but not everyone wanders the Internet judging one another.

If you haven’t done so already, I would just stop reading this thread - it’s highly unlikely that anyone will add something that hasn’t been said, so if you’re already beating yourself up for what amounts to an ill-judged comment, hearing more bandwagon-jumping comments won’t give you more sticks to do it with. I’m sure you are already well aware of where you went wrong, and it will burn itself out when all the self-righteous have had their dig. Chin up.

Hetty58 Tue 04-Jan-22 09:03:35

Lucca, yes, exactly 'thinking and saying' - totally different. Nobody here has been directly 'rude' to anyone else about their appearance.

I simply don't believe that people think kind thoughts, though, when presented with some of the sights we see - and OMG don't we see them? Impossible to ignore, too!

I doubt that anyone sets out to look ridiculous, so can only assume that many simply have no idea what they really look like - very odd.

Lucca Tue 04-Jan-22 08:04:16

MissAdventure

Well, if we all said exactly what we were thinking all the time, I dread to think what would happen.
That comes under the "please or offend, straight talking" label, and we all know what a pain in the arse those people are..

But thinking and saying are different. I would never ever say anything unkind to someone about their appearance but I am honest enough to admit that I might think it.

I too dislike the “I speak as I find, me” attitude which is usually shorthand for “I’m bloody rude”

Allsorts Tue 04-Jan-22 07:50:42

Love slim leg jeans.

MissAdventure Mon 03-Jan-22 22:44:29

Well, if we all said exactly what we were thinking all the time, I dread to think what would happen.
That comes under the "please or offend, straight talking" label, and we all know what a pain in the arse those people are..

Lucca Mon 03-Jan-22 22:22:22

Germanshepherdsmum

And which of us is so virtuous they haven’t ever thought what OP said?

Apparently many on here. ???

Farzanah Mon 03-Jan-22 21:01:15

Some younger women would do themselves a favour and not show of (sic) their huge hips and unshapely legs.
I have walked behind bandy legs, bowie legs, spindle legs and fat legs. Not a pretty sight.
This is what human women look like. All shapes and sizes.
Of course we are not perfect and not immune to judging others by appearance at times but perhaps kinder to try and stick together and celebrate our differences and value people for who they are?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 03-Jan-22 13:37:28

And which of us is so virtuous they haven’t ever thought what OP said?

Lucca Mon 03-Jan-22 13:11:27

Missminnie23

I agree with your views Hithere. What an unkind post. How would the lady who posted feel if people commented on her appearance in such a way. Btw being small made I prefer straight or skinny jeans, wide leg make me feel frumpy. Each to their own preference.

It she’s not commenting TO anyone. She’s just saying people often wear jeans which don’t flatter !

Musicgirl Mon 03-Jan-22 13:06:38

Ijustwantpeace2020

I also have Lipodema and at 5 feet tall struggle to find any trousers to fit my short fat legs! My thighs are the worst bit. I hope the OP never has to suffer like I have all my life (I’m 67) being told just to lose weight only to find out in 2020 that it’s NOT my fault and I can’t lose the Lippy fat by dieting or exercise.

I think those of us who are older and only know we have this horrible condition later in life have all had your experience of being judged and told to lose weight that we now know we cannot lose. Far too many doctors have never heard of it either, in spite of it affecting between five and ten percent of women and a very few men and having been identified for around eighty years. I cannot imagine that a condition that affected such a high proportion of men would have been swept under the carpet for eighty years. I first found out about it in a newspaper article in 2014 but was not diagnosed for another five years. I have lost most of the non-lipodoema weight and two medical experts have agreed that if it were not for the lipodoema I would have a normal BMI. The discrepancy between my top and bottom half is very obvious.

Missminnie23 Mon 03-Jan-22 12:59:03

I agree with your views Hithere. What an unkind post. How would the lady who posted feel if people commented on her appearance in such a way. Btw being small made I prefer straight or skinny jeans, wide leg make me feel frumpy. Each to their own preference.

MayBeMaw Mon 03-Jan-22 12:59:00

Oh the Saga of the hunt for the perfect jeans!
I have tried them all from 2nd mortgage necessitating NYD jeans to Bonmarche at £ 16 a pop. Actually I like the last better.
I’ve done bootcut, boyfriend, Mom and straight.
Skinny are out for me as my legs frankly are not.
I get on best with M&S Collection straight cut cords in winter and Per Una embellished straight cut cotton jeans in summer, but the perfect denim pair still elude me. Ruth Langsford relaxed fit are quite good (QVC) but at £49 not cheap.
The problem is not in the jeans, I fear but in my genes. 5’2” short legged and thick calves and ankles.
There was a time when my hips were reasonably skinny and Gap bootcut fitted well but I have long since grown out of them sad
So the hunt goes on - and probably will continue on and on. . Or maybe I’ll write a book about it instead.

Jazzhands Mon 03-Jan-22 10:38:43

I can relate to Scotsmum. I was a skinny teenager and was called names. I didn't mind the ones that said it to my face, because it was their attempts at humour - they call it banter now. At least I got to reply with a brush-off. The hurtful ones were the whisperers, back-stabbers. Yeugh - bunch of cowards!

Lynd1952 Mon 03-Jan-22 10:01:26

I'm 5' 8" and bought some wide leg jeans in the summer from JD Williams and I'm pleased with them, I find them more comfortable than the jeggings that I've been wearing (passed them on to my daughter) However since then I've bought a pair of straight legged jeans from Cotton Traders, the pull on one's with the deep elastic waist band and they're a game changer as they address the issue that I've always had with the gap at the waist of my jeans. So comfortable! But I will still wear my wide legged ones too, nice to have a change. Happy New year to everyone.

JdotJ Mon 03-Jan-22 09:42:11

LadyGaGa

Crikey. Some of these posts are really unkind to Lillian40. I understand the point that some people are making, but surely it could be put in a nicer way. Whatever happened to ‘be kind’ Hope you’re ok Lilian x

and I hope all the women she offended are OK quite frankly. Whatever did happen to 'Be Kind' Lillian !!!!!

JdotJ Mon 03-Jan-22 09:38:09

Hithere

What a judgy thread - I hope you do not say this in public to anybody

If you do not like to look at legs that are not of your taste, do not look or get another route.

Please spare those women of your unneccessary and unrequested view of them

Women are supposed to support each other, not be our worst enemy

???????

Evelyn92 Mon 03-Jan-22 06:56:09

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Thisismyname1953 Mon 03-Jan-22 06:29:46

I’m apple shaped and at 68 my legs look fine in skinny jeans . It’s the rest of me that don’t suit themgrin

Ijustwantpeace2020 Sun 02-Jan-22 23:12:50

I also have Lipodema and at 5 feet tall struggle to find any trousers to fit my short fat legs! My thighs are the worst bit. I hope the OP never has to suffer like I have all my life (I’m 67) being told just to lose weight only to find out in 2020 that it’s NOT my fault and I can’t lose the Lippy fat by dieting or exercise.

HazelEyes Sun 02-Jan-22 22:42:27

Wide leg jeans! I don't agree, I love slim leg jeans.
If you can be anything, be kind.

Shirleyw Sun 02-Jan-22 21:44:48

I like skinny jeans, jeggings …i do not like wide leg/flares. I tend to wear tunic tops or long line tops over them so that covers any lumps and bumps.

LadyGaGa Sun 02-Jan-22 19:01:38

Crikey. Some of these posts are really unkind to Lillian40. I understand the point that some people are making, but surely it could be put in a nicer way. Whatever happened to ‘be kind’ Hope you’re ok Lilian x

Nannashirlz Sun 02-Jan-22 18:54:05

I’m too short for baggy leg trousers of any kind. Nor do I care if ppl like you think my legs are not perfect like you seem to think yours are. If you don’t like my legs then don’t look. They support me and that’s all that matters. Also don’t judge a book by its cover maybe try reading it first.