Gransnet forums

Pets

Are you an adopter/rescuer?

(172 Posts)
Fleurpepper Tue 25-Oct-22 20:47:40

I am. All our cats and dogs have been rescues or have found us. Never t'other way round. I'd love to have a puppy once- but honestly, I just could not, knowing so many out there need good homes.

Our next dog will come from a long way away- Djerba. A friend found her and rescued her, and she is currently staying with a wonderful dog carer whilst all the vaccinations and passports are being done. Her name is Yata.

Juliet27 Wed 26-Oct-22 04:46:34

My current dog came from a rescue centre…..a five month old stray -he’s now 9. The previous dog too was a rescue. Also have had a canary for 13 years!! He was an escapee who landed next to my H while he was fishing and we never found the owner. Then there’s Fred the tortoise who had been living elsewhere for at least 40 years but the owner was becoming too frail to keep looking after him so we took over but it turns out that Fred is really Freda!!

Grammaretto Wed 26-Oct-22 06:12:12

What an incredible lot you are!
I took in some ex battery hens destined for destruction. It was shocking to see how scared they were to feel grass but great to watch their feathers grow.
Unfortunately they taught our hens how to break and eat your own eggs as I guess they had never seen theirs.

Another time we looked after a friend's rescue dog for a year. She was sweet but incredibly nervous and whimpered if ever left by herself.

I think she had been badly treated which is so sad.
We took over a kitten but she had been very well looked after except always in a flat. She lived for 20 years with us but despite having the run of an enormous garden, she came indoors to use the litter tray.

nanna8 Wed 26-Oct-22 06:17:52

We have rescued all our animals over the years including, at one time, an absolutely crazy beagle who used to steal soap bars from neighbouring houses and stash them in the bushes. Those were the days before dogs had to be kept on leads 24/7 of course. We currently have 2 cheeky kittens from the Cat Protection Society and we are totally in love with them. ?

Aveline Wed 26-Oct-22 06:44:12

What a great thread. So lovely to read about all these now much loved family pets.

Sparklefizz Wed 26-Oct-22 07:28:52

I have always had rescue kittens. One was so terrified that she would sit on the threshhold and look out into the garden but no amount of coaxing would persuade her to go out. She would get very upset if I left the room and howl pitifully so if I was going out, I would have to shut her in a back room so that she couldn't see me leave.

All of my cats over the years have been the most loving and affectionate I could wish for. All they want is to be loved. As someone posted above, adopt don't shop.

rosie1959 Wed 26-Oct-22 07:34:26

All our dogs have been from rescue centres and I miss them all but have fond memories
I must admit we have been without a dog for a while but my children lend me theirs to look after regularly lol
So there is granny on the end of the lead of the children's very large hounds. One is a rottie the other a massive Old English Bulldog but not at the same time ! Both of these are rescues and the Bulldog was particularly ill treat but now is a loving hunk of a dog.

Blondiescot Wed 26-Oct-22 07:37:46

I would also add that some years ago, we were adopted by a cat which had belonged to neighbours a few doors down. They emigrated to Australia and left him behind. We came in one bitterly cold night to find him on the roof of our garden shed, miaowing pathetically, so we brought him in and fed him tuna (we didn't know he had been abandoned at that point). A couple of days later, he reappeared in the garden crying and in obvious pain, so I rushed him to the vet, who said he appeared to have been hit by a car and had a broken pelvis. He never left us and went on to live a happy life with us for another 12 years. I will never understand how anyone can simply abandon an animal.

Mizuna Wed 26-Oct-22 07:59:06

I had a rescue cat who used to climb on my bed every morning and gently lift my eyelids with his paws to see if I was awake. This in spite of having food available and access to the garden - he just wanted company. He was such a character.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 26-Oct-22 08:06:49

My 17 year old feisty, stroppy cat was a feral street find as a kitten by one of my daughters. I am her devoted slave and she is so grateful ( not).

nanna8 Wed 26-Oct-22 08:44:34

Our ‘babies’

dogsmother Wed 26-Oct-22 08:48:18

Not yet, puppies from reputable breeders only. Kittens from accidental litters in the past though none currently.
Not certain what may occur in the future although no more puppies I’m sure. Maybe rescue cat.

Joseanne Wed 26-Oct-22 08:56:25

8 rescued cats so far, (one abandoned as a kitten on a beach in Majorca).
Puppies from kennel club breeders.

sodapop Wed 26-Oct-22 09:09:52

Rescue is definitely the best breed. All our dogs except one have been rescues, two from abusive situations. We also have a rescue cat and sheep. Lovely to see them all happy together . It's good to hear from fellow rescuers, we get so much love back from our animals.

Fleurpepper Wed 26-Oct-22 09:34:27

Amazing thread, and so many lovely stories. Keep it going- we need a bit of good news <3

MacCavity2 Wed 26-Oct-22 09:47:34

My third rescue cat. Must have been badly treated as it took over a year to stop biting and scratching us.

glammanana Wed 26-Oct-22 09:56:09

Over the years we have rescued many dogs via a local charity,they would come to us to be accessed before going on to their forever homes some never moved on and stayed with us as we became so attached.
Mr Ming the pekinese was abandoned needing vet care he was found in a car park/Raffles who was living in a wheelie bin and it took 5 nights to get him to come to the team to give him food/George the one eyed pug who lost his eye after a fight with one of his siblings.
We used to home them for one month and one day and see how they related to family life and how they mixed with other dogs & cats over the years we only ever had one dog returned to us.

Sparklefizz Wed 26-Oct-22 11:22:02

MacCavity2

My third rescue cat. Must have been badly treated as it took over a year to stop biting and scratching us.

What a beauty!

Grannysmith Wed 26-Oct-22 11:29:10

Cats - we have the most beautiful rescue 'gingers' - brother & sister. We have had them just over 2 years & took them on about a year after our beloved tabby Amelie died at 20! They bring so much joy & comfort to the household.

Dee1012 Wed 26-Oct-22 11:34:56

I'm another "rescuer" although when I think of what my dogs have done for me....I'm not sure who rescued who!

I currently have a female Rottweiler who spent the first year of her life locked in a shed, she'd been so badly treated that even the sound of a raised voice would crumple her to the extent of wetting herself angry.
She's now an eight stone rampant cuddler who can't quite understand why it's hard for her to sit on your knee!!
I also have two Jack Russells, one bought for a child who the family then decided was too much hard work and another who was also unwanted.
They adore each other and I love them all.

VB000 Wed 26-Oct-22 11:35:36

Always had rescue cats (they seem to be black every time!), my current one from a kitten - she's 15 and a very sociable cat, black and fluffy! Loves a lap!

She's almost identical (in appearance and nature) to a previous rescue cat I had before who lived to be 18 from a local rescue centre.

nanna8 Wed 26-Oct-22 11:39:52

Lovely stories of hope and love , so lovely when a neglected animal becomes a loved part of someone’s family!

yogitree Wed 26-Oct-22 11:47:17

Yes I am. Dogs, cats, sheep, chickens and one horse. Currently loving my second rescued Golden Retriever. She has so much love to give. I adore her.

CatsCatsCats Wed 26-Oct-22 11:49:40

I've always had a mixture of pedigree and rescue cats.

joannapiano Wed 26-Oct-22 12:01:17

All our cats have been rescue, mostly from Cats Protection. Our latest one was found on the streets trying to bring up 2 kittens. Her kittens were quickly adopted, she had been left several months as she was so timid. She now rules our house.
DD has 2 rescue horses, 2 lurchers rescued from terrible homes, complete with cigarette burn scars, and a rescue cat.

Redhead56 Wed 26-Oct-22 12:11:34

I have always had dogs when I remarried my DH had a dog so we always had two. When one passed away we would rescue another we had two dogs homes on our doorstep. During the pandemic they both closed down.
We lost our Jack Russell three years ago we decided not to replace him. However if we changed our mind it would be with a retired Greyhound or Service dog.
My brother adopted three dogs from Romania at great expense all with health problems he is still paying for.
There are enough animals here that need adopting people got dogs during lockdown. When lockdown ended people wanted rid of the dogs. Every week I hear of people wanting to give their dogs away.