Gransnet forums

Pets

Are you an adopter/rescuer?

(171 Posts)
Fleurpepper Tue 25-Oct-22 20:47:40

I am. All our cats and dogs have been rescues or have found us. Never t'other way round. I'd love to have a puppy once- but honestly, I just could not, knowing so many out there need good homes.

Our next dog will come from a long way away- Djerba. A friend found her and rescued her, and she is currently staying with a wonderful dog carer whilst all the vaccinations and passports are being done. Her name is Yata.

Grandmabatty Tue 25-Oct-22 20:51:32

My dogs were all rescue dogs. I loved them all dearly. I won't have any more though as they are very tying.

Blondiescot Tue 25-Oct-22 20:51:39

I would have loved to adopt or rescue after we lost our old Lab in June 2020, but unfortunately not one of the many places we contacted would consider us because our grandson, then aged 3, was living with us at the time. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand why they have this criteria, but it was disappointing nonetheless, as we could have given a rescue dog a wonderful home. Thank for you for offering a loving home to Yata. I hope you will have many happy years with her.

Shirleyw Tue 25-Oct-22 20:58:39

Rescue every time for us, our previous and present dogs were and are from a dog rescue.

Aveline Tue 25-Oct-22 20:59:04

We rehomed our two cats after the breeder didn't want them any more. They're both boys. One had been imported from California and one from Finland. They fulfilled their, er genetic obligations, and were apparently unnerving their ex girlfriends and offspring. We were happy to offer them a retirement home with us.

RichmondPark1 Tue 25-Oct-22 21:03:03

All our pets have been rescue animals.

One of our cats was saved from drowning in the local public swimming baths. A real life 'rescue'.

Deedaa Tue 25-Oct-22 21:03:38

Down to only one cat now. He was brought round by a chap who didn't want him and, I suspect, would have shot him if he hadn't found a home. He joined a long line of cat and dog rescues.

Norah Tue 25-Oct-22 21:04:13

Our 3 Parson Terriers were pups from the same rescue litter.

Greenfinch Tue 25-Oct-22 21:07:19

All our cats have been rescue cats . The current one we have only had for 4 weeks and we are finding him a bit difficult. He is 9 but we are wondering about his background as he is very, very nervous. Sometimes he will let us stroke him but he prefers his own company and stays upstairs most of the day. We tried to introduce him to the garden today but he put 2 paws outside and then raced back upstairs. Our other cats have been delighted to run around the garden but we have a bit of a challenge here.

Grannybags Tue 25-Oct-22 21:07:40

Service Dogs UK train rescue dogs from the Dogs Trust for ex Forces or Police Officers suffering with PTSD

They say they're saving two lives at a time (dog and person) which I think is a brilliant idea

Iam64 Tue 25-Oct-22 21:13:45

I’ve rescued for 50 years. My current two dogs both came from reputable breeders. Four very young grandchildren meant I wanted young dogs or puppies from good breeders, five generation health and temperament checks.
I would not rescue dogs from other countries. We have too many home grown dogs in need of adoption

Fleurpepper Tue 25-Oct-22 21:15:47

Yata was in a street group that were all shot- she managed to escape. When my friend found her, she was being stoned by children. She is like a very small Alsatian, with long legs and long 'hands' like a pianist, and sad eyes. I hope she will learn to 'smile' with us. She has never barked- I wonder if she will one day?

Oldbat1 Tue 25-Oct-22 21:32:08

We’ve been rescuing dogs for years. Currently we have 3 but have had 6 at once. We volunteer with a local dog rescue charity who take dogs from local vets in pts situations and from dog wardens. So many lovely dogs are currently being pts as rescue centres have no space. So sad. Adopt don’t shop!

Charleygirl5 Tue 25-Oct-22 21:45:51

My cats have all been rescued. I feel I cannot have another because of my age. I do not want the cat to outlive me but I also feel I cannot give an elderly cat a home because of the heartache involved.

If a starving bedraggled cat appeared on my doorstep I would care for it but that has not happened.

valdali Tue 25-Oct-22 22:08:56

My last three dogs were rescues but currently I have a 10 month pup. Our last dog was just the most special & we were both devastated to lose him in his old age. We thought that for an adult dog, he was just too hard an act to follow. I've enjoyed having a puppy, but it's certainly hard work in the early weeks. My cats, I've had one 7 yo rescue cat & the other two from owners trying to home unexpected kittens (a few years back now).It is so sad that there are dogs & cats losing their homes & families because of financial hardship at the moment.

GagaJo Tue 25-Oct-22 22:16:28

Yes, all of my cats have been rescues or strays. 2 American boys and 1 girl. 3 British boys. And now a Chinese boy and girl.

All of them, other than the American girl (who was tiny but ruled the 3 boys with a rod of iron) have been soft as butter. I don't know if it's a coincidence or our influence on them.

Shelflife Tue 25-Oct-22 22:33:49

Our cats have been rescue cats . Our present cat had been with us for three year. Greenfinch, although our lovely
Judy was a young cat she was extremely nervous, we began to wonder if she would ever settle down!
She fled and hid whenever we approached her , refused to go outside - such a shame as we live in a rural area and have a big garden. She sat by the open door looking out!
It took her over 12 months to trust us,
she is now the most affectionate and placid cat. Always wanting my lap whenever I sit down and often follows me around the house and loves climbing trees .
I am sure that your latest cat will in time relax and enjoy his life with you.

Hellogirl1 Tue 25-Oct-22 22:34:05

My last 3 cats have all been rescued cats. After Mia died last year, I decided not to have another because of my age, and I didn`t want the hassle of house training either. But then my daughter spotted 12 year old Billy on the Cats Protection website and I fell in love. He`s now just turned 13, and if I go before he does, he has a home lined up with one of Lynne`s carers, she`s besotted with him.

Greenfinch Tue 25-Oct-22 22:57:35

Thank you for your reassurance Shelflife. We will proceed with much patience and hope for the best. It is so sad to see him so alert all the time and terrified at the slightest noise such as a sneeze or a door opening. He does eat well though and is always looking for food.

Prentice Tue 25-Oct-22 23:37:25

All our pets have been rescue pets.
Aveline your cats are most beautiful boys.

Zoejory Wed 26-Oct-22 00:12:49

We've always had rescue dogs. Jack Russells, greyhounds, lurchers and a gorgeous Irish Wolfhound who sadly died when he was only 7.

I grew up with pedigree dogs who weren't particularly intelligent. Setters and Dalmatians, Old English Sheepdogs and a St Bernard.

I do love all dogs, well, most of them, but my rescues have all been a great success.

CocoPops Wed 26-Oct-22 01:00:30

My dog was rescued from a euthanasia centre in California at 9 months old. She's 5 now.
This photo was taken after a trip to the groomer. She's not usually so smart! Lots of people said she's a Havanese but no, a DNA test said 40-60% American Eskimo dog with some poodle, dachshund and Chinese Crested thrown in. A Heinz 57 really.
She's patient, quiet and loves chasing her ball and swimming.

imaround Wed 26-Oct-22 01:25:09

Yep. We get all dogs from the local shelter or rescue organization and our cat was a feral kitten from my mom's garage.

I also set up my Amazon Smile account (maybe just a US thing?) for the rescue we got our dog from. They get a small donation each time I shop on Amazon.

BlueBalou Wed 26-Oct-22 01:49:12

All bar one of our dogs and cats have been rescues, as well as a pony foal and 2 goats in the past.
I’ve never even considered getting a pedigree puppy.

Mollygo Wed 26-Oct-22 03:25:16

We’ve had two rescue dogs of indeterminate breed. Our current dog came from a family member who breeds pedigree dogs. She was the smallest and deemed unlikely to survive at birth. She keeps us fit now!