Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

When can I celebrate on Facebook and not offend

(36 Posts)
Stongwoman Thu 08-Sep-22 21:01:11

I feel like I’ve committed a faux pas in putting a happy birthday celebration message linked to a face book reminder of my grandsons birthday. I hadn’t thought I’d done anything wrong but my Dil has not posted her own celebratory message or acknowledged mine, (and she posts childrens events regularly)

Have I done wrong and if so how do I correct? My son and his family live abroad

Thomas67 Sun 11-Sep-22 12:13:01

My son and daughter-in-law have told me not to put anything about my grandchild on Facebook. They think the child is not old enough to give their permission. I just go along with it now but it means that relatives don’t see anything! I think they are OTT but it’s their child so I shut up. Now I send the odd picture via email but it’s not as friendly.

Stongwoman Sun 11-Sep-22 12:18:29

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments I’m probably over sensitive and cautious not wishing to offend ,

Amalegra Sun 11-Sep-22 12:36:16

I always post messages on my DD’s FB page celebrating anything that happens within the family, including birthdays. It’s always received well and I thought pretty much obligatory in this age of social media!

Gabrielle56 Sun 11-Sep-22 13:35:16

I'd never ever put anything about kids on FB! It's a pervs paradise, a cardin the post is best . I also am constantly amazed how thick older folks are about the dangers of giving info out to the world and his wife!!! We assume EVERYONE is out to get us and we are as safe as we want to be! Trust no one specially yourself if you're messing with online stuff over age of 65!!!

Nannapat1 Sun 11-Sep-22 14:34:31

I only wish Happy Birthday to those who are my 'friends' on FB and whose birthday is given as FB info.
A couple of friends have their privacy settings set so that only they can see the greetings.
I would never post birthday wishes on FB for those not on FB, with the exception of my DGDs, where I have permission to put up something.
All my posts are visible to 'friends only'.

Limcha Sun 11-Sep-22 15:20:51

I think the general rule with posting information about children on the internet is check with their parents. It’s no one else’s choice to decide a minor’s very permanent exposure on the world wide web but the parents.

If the parents already post the child, still check with them first. Many people, especially the older generations, lack a full understanding of privacy settings and much of the technical know-how to prevent max exposure. It’s never over the top to keep a child and personally identifying information off the internet if you are educated on the implications is has on an individual’s privacy.

LovelyCuppa Sun 11-Sep-22 17:48:31

Out of interest, how old is your grandson? If you're sending a birthday message to him maybe they wonder why you didn't just text, phone or email if he won't even see it? Or maybe they're just busy celebrating and haven't been online yet!

2mason16 Sun 11-Sep-22 19:28:25

I generally ask parents if it's ok to post. Especially as Gc's get older and FB isn't cool now!
Myself I'll be having a low key 70th birthday next Monday the 19th ?

Riggie Sun 11-Sep-22 20:34:11

Floradora9

I never post anything about my grand children on Facebook .

I think the OPs case is different.
She had a Facebook reminder which means her grandson (or his mother on his behalf) has an account and has set it up to include his birthday details (which is an optional field). In that case popping on a message is hardly giving away secrets

annodomini Sun 11-Sep-22 20:37:57

Before Facebook existed, we didn't feel the need to publicise our birthday greeting to our nearest and dearest. We made do with a card. I still send them cards, though if someone posts greetings, I will sometimes add mine.