Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

When can I celebrate on Facebook and not offend

(35 Posts)
Stongwoman Thu 08-Sep-22 21:01:11

I feel like I’ve committed a faux pas in putting a happy birthday celebration message linked to a face book reminder of my grandsons birthday. I hadn’t thought I’d done anything wrong but my Dil has not posted her own celebratory message or acknowledged mine, (and she posts childrens events regularly)

Have I done wrong and if so how do I correct? My son and his family live abroad

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 08-Sep-22 21:08:31

Probably a time difference thing, don’t worry about it, I’m sure your greetings were well received by your Grandson.

BeverleyJB Thu 08-Sep-22 21:09:23

I personally don't think you've done anything wrong at all. Is your family in the same time zone as you - perhaps your post hasn't been seen yet? If your DiL has got upset about her son's grandmother wishing him a happy birthday, then I'd suggest that she needs to get out more! Just my opinion.
If it's really worrying you, then delete the post. Click on the “…” in the top right hand corner and you should see the delete option.

BlueBelle Thu 08-Sep-22 21:13:18

Well is it because everyone on FB appears in mourning for the queen
Ask her then do whatever they ask or want you to do

Floradora9 Thu 08-Sep-22 21:23:56

I never post anything about my grand children on Facebook .

Luckygirl3 Thu 08-Sep-22 21:26:14

It is my birthday today .... lots of good wishes on facebook.

BlueBelle Thu 08-Sep-22 21:33:52

But that’s you floradora lots of us do especially birthday wishes, if the children or grandchildren are on Fb
I ve just had three family birthdays and posted wishes and photos on them all as they do on mine

CanadianGran Thu 08-Sep-22 21:37:42

I wouldn't worry about it; she could be very busy with no time to look at Facebook.

icanhandthemback Thu 08-Sep-22 21:45:29

You can celebrate now. Whilst many people are upset about today's news, it will probably not mean much to a child and their Birthday celebrations should not be put on hold.

LauraNorderr Thu 08-Sep-22 22:20:29

Happy Birthday Luckygirl ?

LauraNorderr Thu 08-Sep-22 22:22:12

Birthday wishes to your grandson strongwoman, I wouldn’t worry about it too much, I’m sure your grandson will love to have a message from his granny.

NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Sep-22 23:52:59

Just delete it if it's a problem, surely?

nanna8 Fri 09-Sep-22 01:47:09

She might not look at it every day- I certainly don’t. I don’t put pics of grandchildren on it these days, either. I leave that up to the parents because it isn’t that private even though they say it is. Funny old world we live in…

Hithere Fri 09-Sep-22 02:00:38

Have you congratulated via FB in the past?

If this is a yearly thing, I dont see the issue

BigBertha1 Fri 09-Sep-22 06:26:59

Happy birthday Luckygirl. I hope you have a good day. As for wishing your grandson a Happy Birthday that seems very natural thing to do. I do it for mine.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 09-Sep-22 07:07:29

Happy Birthday Luckygirl???

dragonfly46 Fri 09-Sep-22 07:21:26

Happy Birthday Luckygirl..

Daddima Fri 09-Sep-22 11:29:44

Happy birthday, Luckygirl, and Stongwoman, I don’t think you’ve done anything wrong at all.

Luckygirl3 Fri 09-Sep-22 11:31:16

Thank you for the birthday wishes. I do not think I will forget the day the queen died!

Elizabeth27 Fri 09-Sep-22 12:21:17

Children are not interested in Facebook so maybe the mother will not put a message on.

StoneofDestiny Sun 11-Sep-22 11:21:49

It’s getting silly now. My friends had a baby the day The Queen died - I can tell you they will be celebrating the birth!

PollyDolly Sun 11-Sep-22 11:24:55

Nor do I, although I will respond with a 'like' and a comment if my AC put up a post about my GC.

LovelyLady Sun 11-Sep-22 11:26:35

Happy Birthday Luckygirl13
Some don’t like Facebook, but why have an account then?
Nothing wrong with mentioning birthday wishes unless they are under police protection or similar.
Congratulations to you on having grandchildren.
It’s not great when we have to tip toe around the wishes of parents. We really don’t have a choice but to keep everyone happy. It can be exhausting. My parents did what Granny wanted - my how times have changed.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 11-Sep-22 11:31:22

Is this the first time you have posted anything to do with your grandchild on Facebook?

If it is, it might have been wiser to ask your son or daughter-in-law in advance.

You could e-mail your DIL and ask nicely whether you have done the wrong thing, as now you are in doubt.

If on the other hand, you normally send the entire family a birthday greeting when Facebook reminds you of a birthday, just let it go.

They may, or may not, get round to thanking you. Their generation attaches far less importance to "saying thank you nicely" than ours.

sharonarnott Sun 11-Sep-22 12:08:16

StoneofDestiny

It’s getting silly now. My friends had a baby the day The Queen died - I can tell you they will be celebrating the birth!

I fully agree. Times have changed. Life goes on, it doesn't mean we are any less sad than anybody else if we carry on with our lives. I ponder on the recent sad events every day but I still wished my niece the best birthday ever the day after we lost our queen.

It appears everybody thinks differently so I'd say deal with things in your own way and let others deal with it in theirs. It's a sad day when you can't wish someone a happy birthday especially a child, whatever the circumstances