Gransnet forums

Food

Another Airfryer, Alternative Oven One ?

(58 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 16-Oct-22 08:51:27

Hello
If you have one of the above, can you tell me which one you have, and what you think of it please?

I’ve looked at the other Airfryer thread, and can’t see many names mentioned.

I’m not terribly well educated when it comes to cooking really, so all information is helpful.

I definitely want one, but there’s so much choice out there.
Thank you! smile

Franbern Fri 28-Oct-22 08:19:42

RedRidingHood - I agree about the name being totally misleading.

When I purchased a small compact airfryer, my daughter dismissed the idea as she said she rarely makes anything fried, so would get no use from it.

I do use my little machine a great deal. Would not wish for it to be any bigger. Ideal for me alone. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, takes little space on my worktop ( about the size of a kettle). Chicken pieces, sausages, bacon, quiche, fish cakes, baked potatoes (crisped after microwaving), all done with ease.

If I wish to cook for more people I still prefer my fan oven. So, not EVERYBODY, who has one wishes they had bought a larger one.

NotTooOld Thu 10-Nov-22 15:08:18

Russell Hobbs Express Airfry Mini oven.
This arrived from Amazon yesterday and I am a bit confused. Can anyone answer my questions, please?

1) How do I know how long to cook things for?
For example, if I cook veggie sausages in the ordinary oven it tells me on the packet how long to cook them for. Easy peasy, even for a non-cook like me, but for how long would I cook them in the mini-oven?

2) How does one decide between air-cook and mini oven?

3) If I air-cook is it essential to use the little basket supplied or can I put the food directly on to a tray?

4) I've read that if you use a tray under the basket to catch the drips, the food doesn't crisp up properly but if you don't use a tray under the basket the stuff in the basket just drips on to the heating element thingy at the bottom of the oven.

Help!

Auntieflo Thu 10-Nov-22 15:53:06

I am waiting for my Tower express to be delivered, anytime between Nov 14 -Dec14 🤞

I was very tempted by the Ninja AF1400, but changed my mind. The Tower has a rotisserie and shelves, which I think I would find more useful. Time will tell.

Have any of you, with the Ninja AF1400, watched The Butlers, on You Tube?
They are very entertaining, perhaps an acquired taste, but do have loads of hints and tips on using these things. They also try a Cosori air fryer.

Sorry Not Too Old, that I don't have the answers to your questions, but no doubt, somebody can help.

mokryna Thu 10-Nov-22 16:05:51

On tv Steph’ s Lunch today, a person was talking about what ‘Which’ had tested. There was one he thought is an excellent fryer but which had sold out, therefore could not be shown.
I didn’t catch the name, could someone tell me which one it was please? Thank you.

Charleygirl5 Thu 10-Nov-22 16:32:38

NotTooOld I am experimenting with cooking items in my air fryer which would normally be cooked in the main oven. For me, halving the time appears to work so 40 minutes becomes 20 minutes but around 15 minutes I am looking to see how much longer it will take. I had bought duck legs and I am glad I did not add the gravy because I think it would have been totally dried out. As it was it was perfect and I am no cook!
While the legs were resting I cooked corn on the cob and French fries. I had run out of space so other veg were in the microwave-it was all delicious.
Ages ago I had bought a little "bucket" which holds liquids so I used that for the duck legs. It sits on top of the perforated "basket".

NotTooOld Thu 10-Nov-22 16:38:34

Thanks, Charleygirl. Half the time, I'll start my own experiments there.

Pittcity Thu 24-Nov-22 16:49:48

Mine arrived today. Very few instructions.
I've printed this useful chart out and googled a sausage casserole recipe for tonight.