Gransnet forums

Food

Another Airfryer, Alternative Oven One ?

(58 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 16-Oct-22 08:51:27

Hello
If you have one of the above, can you tell me which one you have, and what you think of it please?

I’ve looked at the other Airfryer thread, and can’t see many names mentioned.

I’m not terribly well educated when it comes to cooking really, so all information is helpful.

I definitely want one, but there’s so much choice out there.
Thank you! smile

Pittcity Thu 24-Nov-22 16:49:48

Mine arrived today. Very few instructions.
I've printed this useful chart out and googled a sausage casserole recipe for tonight.

NotTooOld Thu 10-Nov-22 16:38:34

Thanks, Charleygirl. Half the time, I'll start my own experiments there.

Charleygirl5 Thu 10-Nov-22 16:32:38

NotTooOld I am experimenting with cooking items in my air fryer which would normally be cooked in the main oven. For me, halving the time appears to work so 40 minutes becomes 20 minutes but around 15 minutes I am looking to see how much longer it will take. I had bought duck legs and I am glad I did not add the gravy because I think it would have been totally dried out. As it was it was perfect and I am no cook!
While the legs were resting I cooked corn on the cob and French fries. I had run out of space so other veg were in the microwave-it was all delicious.
Ages ago I had bought a little "bucket" which holds liquids so I used that for the duck legs. It sits on top of the perforated "basket".

mokryna Thu 10-Nov-22 16:05:51

On tv Steph’ s Lunch today, a person was talking about what ‘Which’ had tested. There was one he thought is an excellent fryer but which had sold out, therefore could not be shown.
I didn’t catch the name, could someone tell me which one it was please? Thank you.

Auntieflo Thu 10-Nov-22 15:53:06

I am waiting for my Tower express to be delivered, anytime between Nov 14 -Dec14 🤞

I was very tempted by the Ninja AF1400, but changed my mind. The Tower has a rotisserie and shelves, which I think I would find more useful. Time will tell.

Have any of you, with the Ninja AF1400, watched The Butlers, on You Tube?
They are very entertaining, perhaps an acquired taste, but do have loads of hints and tips on using these things. They also try a Cosori air fryer.

Sorry Not Too Old, that I don't have the answers to your questions, but no doubt, somebody can help.

NotTooOld Thu 10-Nov-22 15:08:18

Russell Hobbs Express Airfry Mini oven.
This arrived from Amazon yesterday and I am a bit confused. Can anyone answer my questions, please?

1) How do I know how long to cook things for?
For example, if I cook veggie sausages in the ordinary oven it tells me on the packet how long to cook them for. Easy peasy, even for a non-cook like me, but for how long would I cook them in the mini-oven?

2) How does one decide between air-cook and mini oven?

3) If I air-cook is it essential to use the little basket supplied or can I put the food directly on to a tray?

4) I've read that if you use a tray under the basket to catch the drips, the food doesn't crisp up properly but if you don't use a tray under the basket the stuff in the basket just drips on to the heating element thingy at the bottom of the oven.

Help!

Franbern Fri 28-Oct-22 08:19:42

RedRidingHood - I agree about the name being totally misleading.

When I purchased a small compact airfryer, my daughter dismissed the idea as she said she rarely makes anything fried, so would get no use from it.

I do use my little machine a great deal. Would not wish for it to be any bigger. Ideal for me alone. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, takes little space on my worktop ( about the size of a kettle). Chicken pieces, sausages, bacon, quiche, fish cakes, baked potatoes (crisped after microwaving), all done with ease.

If I wish to cook for more people I still prefer my fan oven. So, not EVERYBODY, who has one wishes they had bought a larger one.

RedRidingHood Thu 27-Oct-22 16:30:37

I think the name is misleading. I think of it as a mini oven or grill, I don't do chips in it as I prefer them deep fried but anything you would roast, fry or grill does very well. My big oven has seldom been used since I got the air fryer. Mine was £30 from Aldi, it's small but enough for two people and goes in the dishwasher.

toscalily Thu 27-Oct-22 15:37:11

For anyone interested in buying a Ninja AF160UK Max Air Fryer John Lewis now have them back in stock. After being unavailable at Currys, AO, Argos & JL I put myself on the email notification list of all of them but just went to look at the websites and low and behold back in stock, didn't get an email yet confused

Grantanow Sun 23-Oct-22 13:01:33

We have a single drawer Cosori which seems fine. Very good for small meals as others say. I've not tried a whole chicken but it would take a smallish one. More economical on electricity than our main oven but like most appliances you have to experiment a bit to get the time and temperature right. I never put the drawer in the dishwasher. It's nonstick and a a quick hand wash seems enough.

choughdancer Sun 23-Oct-22 11:51:59

As a result of the Gransnet forums, I bought what I thought was a Tower air fryer, but a Daewoo one arrived!

So far I think it is brilliant, as when I use it I've watched my smart meter and after a very short orange, it goes back to green very quickly, which it never did when I was using my main oven.

I'm vegan so can't comment on cooking meat/fish etc, but I've cooked sweetcorn cobs; sausages, whole small squashes and wedges of larger ones; roast cauli and other veg; toasted nuts and seeds; chips; baked potatoes. I wanted to make aquafaba mayonnaise and only had frozen AF and it thawed it in minutes. Last night I made kale crisps, and I'm looking forward to using it for much more. It has been a game changer for my electrical/gas use, and speed of cooking!

Elegran Sun 23-Oct-22 09:25:16

I've just seen this BBC article
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63317138 comparing the cost of cooking with an air-fryer and a conventional oven.

Greyduster Fri 21-Oct-22 15:55:03

That’s the one I have nannagarra.

Rakib Fri 21-Oct-22 15:51:32

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Rakib Fri 21-Oct-22 08:01:42

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Charleygirl5 Thu 20-Oct-22 14:02:18

May I remind people please that some air fryers need to be heated up. Mine, a Peo Breeze, requires 5 minutes. Last night I cooked Tempura prawns with French fries for 15 minutes including heating time. The vegetables were done on the hob because I had no more space. Delicious.

Floradora9 Wed 19-Oct-22 22:00:37

Right can anyone advise me on this please. I am looking at the Ninja Flip which air fries and lots of other things. My thinking is that it can be tipped up and take up less room as my kitchen worksurfaces are pretty full . Looking at the wattage of this it is 2400 wats a good bit more than the usual air fryers does that mean it will cost mre to run ? I have a combination oven microwave and it's wattage is less . I would like to think this Ninja would save me money but would it really ?

Goldbee Wed 19-Oct-22 08:13:40

Gingster Wed 19-Oct-22 08:10:21

I bought my Tower air fryer from Argos about 4/6weeks ago.
It was £57. I thought I’d go basic and see how I got on.
It’s brilliant for 2 people.
I baked a sponge cake, cheese scones, a whole small chicken,
Pork chops, sausages, chips, roast pots , home made sausage rolls and lots more.

My oven broke down a while back and I haven’t missed it at all.
I’ll have to get it fixed before Christmas. Won’t get a large turkey into my air fryer ?.

welshchrissy Wed 19-Oct-22 07:49:13

Our local large Tesco had the tower air fryers and their own make which is very similar on sale this week so I think stocks are getting more available again. I have been using one for years and wouldn’t be without it. It’s amazing what you can cook in it just experiment if it doesn’t work put it down to experience but they do cook a variety of food.

Ashcombe Wed 19-Oct-22 07:03:39

Dempie55: DH says all those dire warnings are issued at the behest of the company lawyers to protect the manufacturer from being sued. Such warnings seem to accompany most electrical products these days.

I have a Tower air fryer which I use several times a week. It’s very versatile and it’s fun to try things in it. Yesterday, it cooked some rashers of bacon perfectly, with the fat draining through the basket. My instructions specifically advise against putting it in the dishwasher.

martinking Wed 19-Oct-22 06:35:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Nannagarra Tue 18-Oct-22 14:39:16

toscalily having the mats beneath it allow it to glide across the worktop. Prior to that it juddered when I pulled it forward from the wall to use it. Like a microwave it is heavy and requires space for ventilation.
I watched 1pizza2many use and evaluate various ninjas. He’s excellent. The dual drawer appealed to me but DH was swayed by the rotisserie on the Tower. He pressed the buy now button! I’m very pleased with the purchase.

toscalily Tue 18-Oct-22 12:19:06

I have one of those thick (reinforced?) glass work top savers that I always sit the slow cooker on when in use. That also sits under the wall cabinets and as others do, just pull out when in use. I would expect to do the same with an Airfryer. Nannagarra. Thank you will go and read the other threads. I'm only just coming round to the idea of an air fryer having heard so much about them and then a relative bought one recently and is very impressed.

Nannagarra Tue 18-Oct-22 12:10:40

On two table mats.