Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Why do so few people volunteer now?

(159 Posts)
kittylester Wed 06-Mar-24 10:56:28

My volunteering brings me such satisfaction and so I am bewildered by the fact that most organisations are struggling to fill volunteering vacancies.

I know quite a few people on GN also volunteer but wonder why others don't.

Sallywally1 Wed 06-Mar-24 11:00:12

I want to, but am struggling to find a suitable activity. Don’t want to work in a shop. Hospital work appeals as I used to work in the nhs I retired two years ago.

M0nica Wed 06-Mar-24 11:00:47

I think one reason is that many more people over pension age are working, at least part time, the other is the lack of people of working age at home during the day and fit and healthy and thirdly, I think charities are becoming more and more dependent on volunteers doing work that they previously would have paid workers to do

Finally, there are so many charities now using volunteers that demand just outstrips supply.

maddyone Wed 06-Mar-24 11:02:32

Good post Monica.

Cossy Wed 06-Mar-24 11:05:13

I think there are many many people volunteering both working and not working.

I volunteered as a school governor for 14 years, I also volunteered through my work for some community schemes, I mentored a young person for two years via a local council scheme and did other one off bits and bobs. My mum used to do meals on wheels and a couple of other things and we do regular monthly donations to a couple of charities.

Volunteering isn’t everyone’s “bag” and I think many retired people are still really busy with childcare for DGC, their own pets and homes.

Well done for volunteering, but it’s not for everyone.

rafichagran Wed 06-Mar-24 11:05:58

I think it could be alot of people of the age look after grandchildren.
Also so much is expected of volunteers, that people do not want to commit.

annsixty Wed 06-Mar-24 11:13:57

In the 80s/90s many of us were SAHM
but we did a lot of volunteering.
I did Brownies, on a committee for fundraising for school.
WRVS tea and coffee bar in outpatients in the local hospital and helping in the local primary school.
When my H retired we took on two more volunteering roles.
I really enjoyed what I did.
Today’s young mums need to work just to get by.
SO, the GP’s are taking on childminding duties which occupy most of their time.
We did it ourselves for our first GC until she was 11.
Life has changed so much in the last 60 years and the freedom we had then to do it has disappeared.

annsixty Wed 06-Mar-24 11:15:29

I seem to have echoed the last two posters who “got in” while I was very slowly typing.

Granmarderby10 Wed 06-Mar-24 11:24:27

It could be that the cuts to bus services that connect to town centres are having an impact and even with the £2 cap on fares that is still £4 a day (most charity shops no longer reimburse for travel) no matter how enjoyable the work, people are effectively paying to work for no pay.
This could be just one of many reasons though🤗

fancythat Wed 06-Mar-24 11:24:50

I agree with all of the above.

Younger people especially, seem to have a lot less free time.
And they even have a name for all the admin of life, "life admin".
Life is more complicated nowadays.

Also so much is expected of volunteers, that people do not want to commit.

Even admin to do with this.
While we all pat ourselves on the back with all the safeguarding etc, in reality, it stops some people from coming forward. So many checks, that it puts genuine people off.

Siope Wed 06-Mar-24 11:25:58

The kind of volunteering I wish to do - and was doing - requires a level of mobility I don’t currently have.

On a less anecdotal level, NCVO’s Time Well Spent research tracks volunteering. It is a large cohort, so the findings probably have some validity www.ncvo.org.uk/news-and-insights/news-index/key-findings-from-time-well-spent-2023/#/

However, it’s important, I think, to note that there are demographic disparities. Volunteering activity linked to minority religions, remains very high - 65% of British Sikhs volunteer, for example, as do over 40% of British Muslims, generally in some form of wider community activity.

fancythat Wed 06-Mar-24 11:27:22

And most households now need two incomes, not just 1. Or 1 and one part time.

rafichagran Wed 06-Mar-24 11:46:47

Some people like myself who have the new state pension plus a occupational pension like to travel or do their hobbies.
I don't want to appear selfish but I worked all my life, lived by a time table, had to do things I did not like. I dont want to do that especially if I am not paid for it. People who I have spoken to about volunteering have to commit to certain hours and days and I don't want to do that. If they call for people to help clear a river or litter in a local park I would be up for that.

SORES Wed 06-Mar-24 11:49:38

Perhaps one of the reasons is the requirement now for form filling, 2 references, a basic DBS check often (18£) or enhanced DBS for working with children or vulnerable adults even if its only for serving teas.

When my children were younger, school was regularly asking for help hearing children read, playground duties, helping children dress/undress for gym, swimming etc., School governors, PTA, accompanying class on trips, etc.
Volunteering in a charity shop, for eg, meant filling in a form with name address, phone number, now its a two page form, with all manner of impertinent questions.
I volunteered for a few weeks in the next town, paying £1 to park, and petrol, fine if I was enjoying it and feeling helpful but I wasn’t. So I left.

Romola Wed 06-Mar-24 11:54:22

I've been a volunteer ever since I retired, but I could retire at 60, whereas my DD won't retire until she's 67. Our GSs live hundreds of miles away, so we used to go and stay and take over the household for half-term weeks and part of the school holidays. So I fitted volunteering around that.

I think that volunteering can be quite gentle, for instance stewarding at a National Trust property, right through to the tough work with the homeless on the streets.

I volunteered first with Home Start and then with a local charity which befriends children in the 5-13 age group. My current focus child is 11. It does mean giving a lot of yourself but I love it.

I'm also in a litter-picking group which is very relaxing and gets me outside! And my focus child sometimes joins in.

Witzend Wed 06-Mar-24 11:57:22

I have done in the past, but can no longer make any regular commitment, since dd1 has to go away for work at unpredictable times, often for 10 days, so I’m frequently 60 miles away helping SiL with 3 young children.

I would think that quite a few grandparents nowadays are busy with grandchild-care, especially since childcare is so ruinously expensive - and in between stints they’re recovering their energy/chilling/catching up with whatever needs doing in the house/garden.

AlwaysSmiling Wed 06-Mar-24 12:00:19

Public transport is the problem. I have a bus pass so there would not be a problem getting into town but there isn't a bus service. Hence the reason I do not volunteer.

SORES Wed 06-Mar-24 12:06:39

fancythat I just read your post, last sentence, yes exactly that.

The National charity shops - apparently - have rules and require 4hour stints regularly. I couldn’t stand for that long.
There are 6! charity shops in this town, regularly have ‘volunteers wanted’ signs on the doors,
Oxfam seldom open now as short staffed, with an application form available online which would possibly rule out a willing demographic, you would think you were applying to join the SAS.
Food bank helpers are always welcome

Clearing streams, tidying up the lovely churchyard, litter picking Sundays, all well attended, no police checks necessary here.

Eirlys Wed 06-Mar-24 12:06:49

At an age when I could have volunteered I lived in a very rural area and I don't drive. ( No buses). Lack of transport could be another reason.

Romola Wed 06-Mar-24 12:08:45

SORES has a point about safeguarding, DBS etc. Last week I had to do a 3-hour NSPCC online safeguarding training for my charity. My volunteering does involve being alone with a child, in my car and in public spaces, for up to 3 hours. It was expensive for the charity too. Safeguarding has become an industry.

nanna8 Wed 06-Mar-24 12:13:38

I think the young ones have to work all the hours God sent just to survive and pay the mortgage/rent. Most volunteers have a bit of spare time, the younger ones don’t.

Georgesgran Wed 06-Mar-24 12:13:51

I volunteered for a major organization for over 25 years. It all worked well, until Head Office brought in rules on prison visiting and e-mails and that all volunteers should commit to X number of hours per week, plus X overnight duties her year. Those who couldn’t commit were ‘let go’. Now my local branch is closed more hours than it’s open, so I really think they shot themselves in the foot.

I should add that wasn’t my reason for leaving.

sodapop Wed 06-Mar-24 12:25:19

I agree with others that many older people now are committed to a lot of regular childcare for their grandchildren. . Mine are all grown up now so my time is my own. It does seem also there are unrealistic expectations of volunteers, as George'sgran said.

Claretjan Wed 06-Mar-24 12:38:40

I agree with SORES and Romola. Just after I retired I started volunteering for a charity helping prevent loneliness in the elderly. The application form was quite intimidating and off-putting for those not used to them. I had an enhanced DBS and an afternoon of 'training' which was mainly legal and bureaucratic stuff. After a couple if weeks I realised the role wasn't what I imagined so didn't continue. It's a shame they had to pay for the expensive paperwork and I felt quite guilty!

OurKid1 Wed 06-Mar-24 12:49:56

Sallywally1

I want to, but am struggling to find a suitable activity. Don’t want to work in a shop. Hospital work appeals as I used to work in the nhs I retired two years ago.

Most hospitals have a whole lot of volunteers - tea trolley, book trolley or reassuring patients. I know there's a group who work solely with dementia patients in our local major hospital. I'd give your nearest one a ring. They'll probably snap you up.

I did it for a while through the Alzheimer's Society, visiting patients who didn't always have family to visit, just for a chat to give them some company. Patients who are in hospital should have a folder "All About Me" which lists their favourite things, likes, dislikes, family members etc., which can trigger fascinating conversations. I met one lady who was dysphasic, so couldn't speak, but she could sing - so we sang to each other - quietly of course, and I'm not sure you'd call my contribution "singing." I loved it.