Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

When You Don’t Want To Work

(27 Posts)
Mel1967 Fri 05-Jan-24 22:32:19

I really don’t want to go to work.
Retirement is not an option.
I work full time and reducing my hours is not an option.
Any ideas on how to make work bearable?

nanna8 Fri 05-Jan-24 22:49:22

Concentrate on the money ! Change jobs if that is possible. Plan holidays and breaks so you have something to look forward to, even just somewhere to go at weekends. Maybe set up a calendar to cross the days off.

Primrose53 Fri 05-Jan-24 22:52:19

nanna8

Concentrate on the money ! Change jobs if that is possible. Plan holidays and breaks so you have something to look forward to, even just somewhere to go at weekends. Maybe set up a calendar to cross the days off.

Crossing dates off a calendar is wishing your life away. Find a more interesting job. 😉

SueDonim Fri 05-Jan-24 22:53:44

I’d have thought narrowing down what it is that is making you unhappy is key to changing things. Is it the job itself, the pay, colleagues, your boss, the commute if you have one?

Susiewong65 Fri 05-Jan-24 22:57:20

How long have you got left before you retire?

Have you identified what it is that you find unbearable about the job.
Maybe you could start a countdown, ticking off the weeks or maybe try to mentally detach yourself a bit from the daily politics or drama that might be dragging you down.

Book short breaks away and activities that interest you.

Alternatively find a different job, a change is as good as a rest as they say.

65KL Fri 05-Jan-24 22:58:08

That's me too !
I try to concentrate on the parts of my job I enjoy and take pride in doing it the best of my abilities.
Treat yourself , dosent have to cost alot ,
Don't just work to pay the bills .
I've been told plenty of times I should be grateful that I am able to go to work , many can't due health reasons etc. . That comment used to annoy me but yes it is true

crazyH Fri 05-Jan-24 23:03:33

Mell1967 - just think of your paycheque at the end of the month. Better still, try to find another job, if you really have to work. Are you isolated? I do feel for you although I’ve never been in that position . Good luck !

biglouis Fri 05-Jan-24 23:29:15

Start a side hustle for something that gives you pleasure and which can look viable as a business (at least on paper).

Register it as a business with the tax office. Do a self assessment once a year. Dont worry if you make a tax loss for a few years. You can offset that against other taxable income.

Most start up businesses dont begin to make a profit for several tears. Some never do. There is no law that says you have to make a profit or be good at business.

sharon103 Fri 05-Jan-24 23:52:23

Would you feel happier if you could find a work from home job?

Granny23 Sat 06-Jan-24 00:28:26

I was stuck in a dreadful position as a paid worker in a voluntary organisation, subject to the whims of a useless management committee and with still 2 years to go until OAP age, and having mainly worked in the voluntary sector obviously did not have a work pension. My husband, 7 years older than me did have a private pension + his state pension so I decided to 'retire' when he did.

To my great surprise he was granted £50 per week added to his OAP for me as a 'dependent relative' Once He and I had no travel to work or lunchtime expenses, our joint income was only only down a few £££s.2 years later I got my own state pension

Best thing I ever did. I as still fit enough to tend our huge fruit and veg garden and DH (a Carpenter/Joiner to trade) renovated our house and then those of our DDs, saving them a small fortune. A couple of years later we were blessed with two DGC and were happily fit and able to do loads of baby sitting and childminding, again, a big saving on day care or babysitting costs.
I don't know if you have a retired or working spouse or no spouse at all, nor am I sure that the pension addition for a dependent still exists, But, I can vouch for the sense of freedom and joy we experienced during those 'early retirement' years.

biglouis Sat 06-Jan-24 00:49:27

Once He and I had no travel to work or lunchtime expenses, our joint income was only only down a few £££s

When you are retired you dont have to waste money on commuting or clothes for work. So you can wear your old but still good (and possibly unfashionable) stuff and not have to worry about looking professional or people judging you. You can also save on cosmetics and beauty products which can be amazingly expensive. I wore very little makeup as an academic because it was a very casual work look, and gave it up completely once I ceased to be emoloyed.

It costs money to go to work.

Sara1954 Sat 06-Jan-24 09:33:44

I don’t like the idea of counting down the days, it’s wishing your life away.
I still work, but it’s a family business so I can make subtle changes to my working week, like leaving early in the winter so that I’m not driving home in the dark.
I don’t enjoy it as much as I used to, but can’t imagine not working at all, everything has got a bit too clever for me, and I find myself doing quite basic work, but I don’t mind that, as long as I’m paid.

Dee1012 Sat 06-Jan-24 11:15:08

I can really empathise with this.... I'm in a very similar situation.
Diagnosed with a chronic health condition around 3 years ago too, which although my employers have been very supportive around, has really impacted my life.
Always been in the 03rd sector so no great pension and personal circumstances meant I've been unable to build anything up.
There's parts of the job I 'enjoy' - a difficult word to use really as my work connects to the Justice system but I'm so tired!
I also try to focus on the positives in life.... outside of work but it's becoming much harder to do that.

Septimia Sat 06-Jan-24 11:37:14

I do sympathise. Even the nicest jobs can become a drag sometimes and lots of people only work because they need the income - which is no consolation for you, of course.

DH thought we'd be worse off when he retired. Fortunately the combinations of pensions and not having to pay to go to work mean that we're a little more comfortable than we expected.

As others have said, and hard though it may be, do try to make your meaningful life outside of work. Fill your time with things you enjoy and can look forward to, even if it's only going for a pleasant stroll at the weekends (walking is good for physical and mental health!).

If you can afford to, squirrel some money away. Some could be for treats but some could go into a small pension fund or just be savings. That way you might be able to afford to retire a little earlier than you expect.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 06-Jan-24 11:45:08

Is it your job or do you just not want to work? How old are you?

pascal30 Sat 06-Jan-24 11:46:02

do you own your house? could you take lodgers, do Airbnb or Equity Release.. could you rent out your property and go travelling...

Patsy70 Sat 06-Jan-24 12:37:01

Mell967. As others have asked, what is it about working that you dislike so much?

sodapop Sat 06-Jan-24 13:04:57

What Patsy70 said. Is it your job in particular Mell or just generally you don't want to work .

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 06-Jan-24 13:38:37

The OP has started another thread saying it will be eight years until she pays her mortgage off and then she can retire. So, find a more enjoyable job or, like many of us, grin and bear it until you can afford not to work.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jan-24 13:53:08

It’s probably the job that you need to change
I was so desperate to stay at work when I had to retire at 69 but that was because I loved my job

pascal30 Sat 06-Jan-24 14:02:23

Germanshepherdsmum

The OP has started another thread saying it will be eight years until she pays her mortgage off and then she can retire. So, find a more enjoyable job or, like many of us, grin and bear it until you can afford not to work.

and also the same OP talking about aged parents.. I'm wondering if it is low mood behind this lack of motivation and joy in life..

Mel1967 Sat 06-Jan-24 14:09:16

pascal30

Germanshepherdsmum

and also the same OP talking about aged parents.. I'm wondering if it is low mood behind this lack of motivation and joy in life..

Why do you feel that I have low mood and lack motivation and joy in my life?

Mel1967 Sat 06-Jan-24 14:19:22

65KL

That's me too !
I try to concentrate on the parts of my job I enjoy and take pride in doing it the best of my abilities.
Treat yourself , dosent have to cost alot ,
Don't just work to pay the bills .
I've been told plenty of times I should be grateful that I am able to go to work , many can't due health reasons etc. . That comment used to annoy me but yes it is true

Thank you for your reply.
I’m glad it’s not just me.
I do have parts of my job that I enjoy and I too will always do my job to the best of my ability.
I’m tired of the constant change - I work for the NHS.
Your post has been helpful, not judgemental as some are 😊

Mel1967 Sat 06-Jan-24 14:20:12

Germanshepherdsmum

I said that I would have to save before I could retire

Poppyred Sat 06-Jan-24 14:28:35

I worked at a job that I loathed for the last 19 years of my working life. It was the money that attracted me in the first place and what kept me there.

Looking back now, I should have made more of an effort to look elsewhere, money isn’t everything.