Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Age 67 and have to attend informal attendance support meeting

(55 Posts)
Bea65 Sun 29-Oct-23 15:28:27

Hi Gns ..am returning to work after 4 month absence due to serious fall 4 months ago...was deliberating going for retirement...but with cost of living etc. am truly anxious about loss of earnings...am in receipt of SP but without pay, I would have to apply for benefits in a couple of years...my supervisor is only 23 yrs old...this is such an irritating factor but don't want to be ageist but HOW HOW, is this person relatable to a 67 yr old with recognised disability and in recovery following a fall...any advice on how to answer the ??s they may pose in this online zoom mtg... yes I've considered retirement but do not have sufficient funds and still feel able to contribute to organisation and don't want to be pressurised..am not in a union..

M0nica Sun 29-Oct-23 15:31:12

Well, immediately join your work union and you will have help, assistance and support

Elusivebutterfly Sun 29-Oct-23 15:34:55

Before I retired I had several young bosses in their twenties - this is something we have to deal with as we get older. The important issue is your company's policies on absence and retirement. How much is management discretion, which could make it difficult for you.
It is well worth joining a union or at least ask advice from ACAS. Do you work full time or are you considering asking to cut your hours? I asked to cut my hours but was told I would be downgraded if I did so - this was the NHS.

welbeck Sun 29-Oct-23 15:35:54

what exactly is the purpose of the meeting.
is it a return to work meeting.
will it be only you and her.
you have to think why you have been unable to work, and then convince her that you are now able to return to work.
i wouldn't mention needing the money.
talk rather about making a contribution, using your skills and experience, sharing what you have learnt in the role, best practice etc.
what kind of work is it.
be business-like.
avoid sounding needy/ in need of the money, or of doubtful ability/ usefulness to the employer.
good luck.

Visgir1 Sun 29-Oct-23 15:49:43

You might find they just want to know if your okay?
In the NHS we like a lot of empoyers use the Bradford index once you hit a certain number you need a one - to - one with your supervisor.
They might be checking you don't need any help? Also after a considerable time off sick they should offer a phased return to duties.
They have to be seen to do things correctly otherwise you can have them.
Good luck

Nannarose Sun 29-Oct-23 17:07:28

Please don't make assumptions about this person (I am assuming you don't know them already). Empathy, understanding of the issues are not age related.
And do join a union - a GP I worked with reckoned it was one of the top pieces of health advice he gave.

Can I also suggest that you explore your options - if you really want to stay at your specific workplace then of course you should (assuming no other concerns) but it doesn't hurt to think about how you might handle your life and finances differently. I have many friends and neighbours who top up their pensions from part-time jobs (some are very interesting) and making money from hobbies etc.

Good luck

kittylester Sun 29-Oct-23 17:16:36

Nannarose posted exactly what I was going to say.

GrannySquare Sun 29-Oct-23 17:18:49

If you are not already a member of a TU then do join, BUT do not expect default 1:1 support from day 1.

You will get access to the national helpdesk, but union reps can be sparse on the ground & existing members will have loyally paid up in advance giving them first dibs on reps’ time.

You may find that there is a ‘formal’ wait before the union may officially represent you.

It is worth ringing the ACAS helpline for advice about employment best practice.

lixy Sun 29-Oct-23 17:23:17

This sounds like standard practice to me - a return to work after any absence would be the norm. After a fall there may be concerns around ensuring you have a safe environment and questions about any ideas you may have about keeping yourself safe.
Nannarose gives good advice - and do please join a union if you haven't already.
Hope the 'interview' goes well - and you can relax through it despite the dreaded Zoom!

Doodledog Sun 29-Oct-23 17:23:53

M0nica

Well, immediately join your work union and you will have help, assistance and support

As an ex Union rep I have to say that no, joining now will not help with a problem that has arisen before joining. Unions are very helpful to members, but people can't join them when a problem has already arisen, any more than you can take out house insurance after your house has caught fire and expect to make a claim. Many people don't want to pay the subs, or have to take collective action, but expect protection when they need it, and it doesn't work like that. It is definitely worth becoming a member going forward, but it is unlikely that the union will give support with this meeting, although if it is a disciplinary meeting there should be a right to take a colleague along for support.

I sympathise, Bea - your situation is clearly untenable. Does your house insurance have legal advice as an add-on? Alternatively, check if a local university has a law clinic that will offer the services of a supervised student who can advise you. They will have an experienced lecturer checking every stage, so you will be getting sound advice, which will count towards the student's qualification.

As others have said though, there is no saying that this will be disciplinary - it has a good chance to be a routine 'back to work' meeting as your employer will have a duty of care to ensure that you are not being asked to do more than you are capable of doing. Good luck.

Bea65 Sun 29-Oct-23 17:56:02

[Doodledog] yes understand my situation is totally untenable..he the 23 yr old. was promoted during pandemic -no other senior members of the team were..he is a joke /farce his mother is a senior exec and am intimidated by this nepotism...am so anxious that I might not be thinking clearly with responses to ??s

Doodledog Sun 29-Oct-23 18:32:12

Try not to panic. I know it's difficult, and the situation sounds very unfair, but if you can stay calm during the meeting it will be much better for the outcome.

In your shoes, I would ask your supervisor what the meeting is about (in advance) make notes about how you want it to go, and take them into the meeting with you. So for example, if it is a return to work meeting, think about what you are now able to do, and what might prove difficult. How long is it likely to take before you are back up to speed - that sort of thing. The outcome should be that you and the supervisor agree on a plan that is achievable, so don't make promises that will be difficult to keep, but try to be as positive as you can. You can ask for an interim review meeting to see how well you are doing, and be sure to take notes there, too, so that you can compare what was agreed with what is happening.

Why not post on here after you have found out the nature of the meeting, so that people can advise on how best to deal with it when you know exactly what you are dealing with?

Septimia Sun 29-Oct-23 18:40:48

Good advice from Doodledog. I would add: try to sound and look upbeat, positive and capable, regardless of your supervisor's reactions and comments. Don't give him the impression - or the satisfaction of thinking - that you're not up to the job. It might not make a difference to the result but at least you'll know that you've acquitted yourself well.

M0nica Sun 29-Oct-23 19:28:11

Doodledog When I was a union member, one of my staff was the shop steward. She recruited people who came to her when they ran into problems and then helped them - and made sure they stayed members afterwards. No one to my knowledge joined, got help and left. She did refuse to advise someone who came to her for information and advice, but wasn't prepared to sign up.

RosiesMaw Sun 29-Oct-23 19:32:17

Bea you sound as if you are panicking.
Doodledog has given good, practical advice.
There is no need to be afraid, be prepared instead.

Doodledog Sun 29-Oct-23 19:33:43

Well obviously I can't speak for all unions, but at least some (including mine) have rules that would not allow that. It's fair enough, really. When we had recruitment drives I was always surprised at the number of people who said they would join if they needed us, but wouldn't pay the subs until then.

Wenmore Sun 29-Oct-23 19:43:43

This sounds like a standard 'Return to work' meeting. The link is to the ACAS site which explains all about these meetings. It's toaje sure you are fit to return, you know about any relevant developments since you've been absent etc.
www.acas.org.uk/returning-to-work-after-absence

Nannarose Sun 29-Oct-23 20:49:04

Lots of good advice here; Doodledog, you give very good advice.
I have to say that as a union rep, I did represent workers immediately they joined, sometimes in very difficult situations; but that was many years ago, and I'm not surprised that things have changed.
I do hope it goes well.

Bea65 Mon 30-Oct-23 12:50:15

Have rec’d letter which states… discussing current reasons for absence/making suggestions about managing return to work and, exploring other adjustments that could be made.
Thank you all GNs for your replies- do appreciate the support..and yes, am a worrier and have suffered with anxiety for many years.. will write down my thoughts on the workload - which overwhelms me at times

EmilyHarburn Mon 30-Oct-23 13:36:54

There is no problem at the moment except in the mind of Bea65. Join the union before the zoom meeting. Pay your dues, mine were taken from my wage by direct payment. As others have said this is a normal meeting for return to work. You have not got a problem. You just need to know how to reply so that you don't make a problem for yourself. You have not gone off sick because you were in capable. You feel whilst at work. Maybe they are worried you will sue them, or maybe they are concerned, as you are disabled, that they have made appropriate adjustments to your work place as they are required to do by an Act of Parliament. Your union rep will know what this meeting is about and will advise you how to conduct yourself, and how to correspond with your work place so that you do not trip yourself up.

This is what ACAS says
www.acas.org.uk/returning-to-work-after-absence

What a return to work meeting is for
It's not a legal requirement to have a return to work meeting. But a chat as soon as possible after an employee has returned is a good opportunity to:

make sure the employee is ready to return to work
talk about any work updates that happened while they were off
see if they need any support
agree on a plan for returning to work, if appropriate, for example a phased return to work
talk about what they would like other employees to know about their absence and what they would like to keep confidential
If the employee has been off sick, their employer might also:

look at any recommendations from the employee's doctor
consider a referral to a medical service such as occupational health
If the employee is disabled, their employer should discuss whether there are any reasonable adjustments they can make to support the return to work.

An employer should also look out for signs of underlying problems causing an employee's absence. For example:

work-related stress
a disability
The employer should be sensitive and understanding if they're talking to someone about this. An employee does not have to tell them anything. But talking openly can help the employer put the right support in place.

Gundy Mon 30-Oct-23 13:43:40

I’m sorry you are between a rock and a hard place. Very unsettling. First of all a 23 yr old supervisor is a problem when you are 67. Or even 50, or 35!!

What does he have in the wisdom of workplace experience, maturity, perspective or overall intelligence (questionable). He has no respect from company staff. I’m sure he goes home every night knowing he’s in over his head.

Now I’m getting off on the 23 yr old 😖 when I should be thinking about what I could pass along in the way of help.

Can you jump over his head and go to someone in Human Resources for some answers to your questions? That’s what they are there for.
Good luck!

Visgir1 Mon 30-Oct-23 13:50:05

Bea65

Have rec’d letter which states… discussing current reasons for absence/making suggestions about managing return to work and, exploring other adjustments that could be made.
Thank you all GNs for your replies- do appreciate the support..and yes, am a worrier and have suffered with anxiety for many years.. will write down my thoughts on the workload - which overwhelms me at times

That's normal practice.
Fully understand the situation about the 23 Yr old but your more experience in life than they are, probably more anxious than you in case they screw up the process.
Check ACAS on line for how this should play out.
I don't think you have anything to worry about, you will be OK.
I did loads of returns to work, some times it was nice to have a catch up.
Try not to over stress.. GN'ers have your back!

Quokka Mon 30-Oct-23 14:52:23

M0nica

As a ex-union rep. I endorse this. It’s not like the vet where you can’t claim if your dog/cat/rabbit/budgie has a pre-existing issue!

NotSpaghetti Mon 30-Oct-23 15:03:24

My youngest daughter is in a managerial role with significantly older people under her supervision.

Not everyone is lacking empathy... I know she would be keen to make your return a success as she values the people she works with.

Thinking of you.
I hope it goes well.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 30-Oct-23 15:07:45

It sounds as though some of Bea’s anxiety relates to the quantity of work, which she says sometimes overwhelms her. That is a separate issue to the long absence following an injury, but I can see how it looms large whilst at home doing things at your own pace, but contemplating a return to the office. I think she must ask herself honestly, before the meeting, whether the job is now too much for her. Is it possible to work from home or do fewer hours? This is something that needs careful handling because hinting that the workload is overwhelming could easily lead to a suggestion that she should retire. She should think very carefully about whether to address this issue at the meeting, and if so how without appearing to be ‘past it’.