Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

How much notice to give regarding retirement?

(40 Posts)
Newbeginnings Tue 03-Oct-23 11:09:37

I am Retiring on my 60th Birthday (Feb 2024) on full pension after 40 years services. How much notice did you give?

Kim19 Tue 03-Oct-23 11:16:54

Perhaps it is written in your contract of employment? It used to be dependent on how often one was paid e.g. Weekly - one week's notice; monthly - one month's notice etc. That was when I was in business years ago. Probably much different now. How about asking HR?

Poppyred Tue 03-Oct-23 11:17:26

Ask your employer?….It’s usually a month.

Glorianny Tue 03-Oct-23 11:24:21

Doesn't it depend on what job you are doing and if a replacement will be needed. In teaching it was usually around Christmas to go the next summer, giving time to advertise and recruit a replacement. I think you could delay until the Easter term, but you weren't massively popular if you held off until the last moment. Isn't it usual to discuss the matter with bosses and colleagues?

MrsSquirrel Tue 03-Oct-23 11:34:29

It will say in your contract of employment how much notice is required.

I am also planning on retiring next year. My contact says I need to give one month's notice. I am planning to be generous and give two months.

Glorianny Tue 03-Oct-23 12:05:04

I was just thinking everyone I worked with knew when one of us was going to retire. It was practically all we talked about as our 60th approached!!!

MrsSquirrel Tue 03-Oct-23 12:43:29

As you say, it must vary a lot depending on the job you do and the culture in your workplace.

wildswan16 Tue 03-Oct-23 12:48:57

Totally depends on your contract. However, if you are in a job which requires training/experience etc then it is kind to your employer to let them know earlier to allow them to find a replacement and not leave them short-staffed.

Imarocker Tue 03-Oct-23 14:07:21

I gave five week’s notice when I retired at 60. My contract said 4 weeks. My line manager said he needed more notice so I pointed out that if I had been on an academic, instead of an admin contract, I would have had to give him three months notice. Look at your contract and that will tell you how much notice you have to give. If you want to be nice you can give them more notice than is legally required but you don’t have to do so .

twiglet77 Tue 03-Oct-23 14:52:23

I worked for a national company and had to do it online after speaking to my line manager, I did it six weeks before my leaving date as I was staying a few weeks beyond my 66th birthday to cover other employees’ holiday absence, but IIRC the requirement in my contract was only two weeks. I then emailed my line manager to let her know the dates, she approved my resignation and arranged for my retirement pack and pension application to be emailed to me, and she printed hard copies for me too.

Enjoy your retirement! Best thing ever!

Freya5 Wed 04-Oct-23 08:49:01

I had to give 3 months notice to NHS before retirement. Gives time to get paperwork sorted, and pension put in place.

Trouble Wed 04-Oct-23 09:12:16

Unless you dislike your employer just let them know once you have definitely decided. They can start to find someone else and everyone will be pleased for you and have time to plan a leaving celebration.

Where I work people generally start talking about it and say a long time in advance and mostly give more notice than they are contractually obliged to, but it is a good place to work.

lixy Wed 04-Oct-23 09:28:18

As said above, the minimum will be in your contract, though it is handy if employers have more warning.
I was on a teaching contract so had to give a term's notice, but made it clear that it would be my last year in the October of the academic year, and retired at the end of the Summer term.

You could always have an informal 'heads up - this is what I'm thinking' chat beforehand and then your formal written notice at the specified time if that would be comfortable for you.

More importantly, look forward to your retirement, make plans and enjoy it to the full. It's so well worth waiting for!

aonk Wed 04-Oct-23 11:07:55

Both my DH and I gave more notice than was officially required. We both liked our jobs and colleagues and wanted to help them plan for our departure.

deedee27 Wed 04-Oct-23 11:41:15

I gave 4 months rather than the 3 required in the civil service and they delayed giving me anything for 2 months after my retiral!!! Was incandescent….
Of course civil service pensions is a contracted out entity as privatised entities give so much better service! (Hypocrisy alert!!)

DaisyAnneReturns Wed 04-Oct-23 11:49:06

Glorianny

Doesn't it depend on what job you are doing and if a replacement will be needed. In teaching it was usually around Christmas to go the next summer, giving time to advertise and recruit a replacement. I think you could delay until the Easter term, but you weren't massively popular if you held off until the last moment. Isn't it usual to discuss the matter with bosses and colleagues?

I would go with the "totallydeprndant on your contract".

As for doing what teachers do grin, the real world simply doesn't work like that.

Hymnbook Wed 04-Oct-23 11:52:39

I had to give 3 months. Worked in the NHS. They still managed to mess it up so it took longer to put everything in place.

Ashcombe Wed 04-Oct-23 12:00:36

DaisyAnneReturns

Glorianny

I would go with the "totallydeprndant on your contract".

As for doing what teachers do grin, the real world simply doesn't work like that.

When I retired from teaching in 2010, you were required to give in your notice by 31st October to leave at Christmas, 28/9th February to leave at Easter and 31st May to finish at the end of the summer term.

I believe Headteachers and, possibly Deputies had to give longer but I never reached those dizzy heights!

Ziplok Wed 04-Oct-23 12:02:21

It’s the real world for teachers DaisyAnnReturns. I think your comment is quite rude.

pen50 Wed 04-Oct-23 12:11:37

I gave a year's notice - and have wound up working an extra eight months on top of that! They weren't terribly effective at hiring my replacement....

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 04-Oct-23 12:19:42

If you know the date on which you intend to retire it’s fairest to your employer and your colleagues to tell them now so there is plenty of time for succession planning, rather than give the minimum notice required by your employment contract.

DaisyAnneReturns Wed 04-Oct-23 12:23:56

It may be the real world for teachers but are you suggesting the average teacher organises how it is run Ziplok? I wasn't.

It is not run in the same way most businesses are run. If a teacher is not aware of that, should they be educating our children? I don't believe the advice to act as teachers have to is helpful. Looking at the appropriate legal document does seem a better way.

Most people can show a little amusement about the vagaries of their jobs. I know educators can as a large portion of my family works or has worked in that area.

Ktsmum Wed 04-Oct-23 12:43:56

I gave six weeks, but sincedate was Dec 2oth I offered to work up to Christmas eve if needed. Otherwise contractual notice period will suffice

Gundy Wed 04-Oct-23 12:45:29

I started talking about retiring around the 15 year mark at my job when I was 65. It became a joke with the staff after about 3-4 yrs. I finally retired from my full time work when I was 73. I just loved my management job in the hospital… but I was tired.

Still delirious 🤪 over my retirement after 3 yrs!
USA Gundy

ruthiek Wed 04-Oct-23 13:12:09

When I retired I have 3 months notice so they could plan for me to train my replacement. I shouldn’t have done as soon as I left they moved the whole job including three other peoples jobs who were made redundant overseas 🤬