Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Am I the only one on gransnet still working & paying a mortgage?

(54 Posts)
Kandinsky Sat 08-Apr-23 13:45:13

Obviously a lovely long weekend off, but back to work on Tuesday. At 60 I feel I should be retired but I’ve got a mortgage until I’m 65. I could downsize but I really don’t want to as I love my home.
No real point to this thread but just interested if anyone else is in similar circumstances?

Norah Sat 08-Apr-23 13:51:31

I've a friend with a mortgage. She, too, would love to be done.

No solution, she moved home again in her 50s. Silly for her.

MiniMoon Sat 08-Apr-23 13:55:34

We are still paying a mortgage and DH is still working. We are in our early 70s.
For many years we had an interest only mortgage. It was the worst decision DH ever made.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 08-Apr-23 14:09:12

I was still working at 60, trying to restore the savings Equitable Life lost for me.

Visgir1 Sat 08-Apr-23 14:16:27

My friend has, both her and her DH in early 60's.
Job front for her DH was dodgy few years ago, only way for them was to remortgage.
They moved a year ago to pay a chunk off existing mortgage and make this one more manageable.

Norah Sat 08-Apr-23 14:18:58

Kandinsky

Obviously a lovely long weekend off, but back to work on Tuesday. At 60 I feel I should be retired but I’ve got a mortgage until I’m 65. I could downsize but I really don’t want to as I love my home.
No real point to this thread but just interested if anyone else is in similar circumstances?

Is an equity release a possible solution, for you?

NotAGran55 Sat 08-Apr-23 14:26:01

I was working at 60 with a mortgage and putting two sons through university.
I still work part time at 67 but no mortgage now.

halfpint1 Sat 08-Apr-23 14:42:12

Still working at 68 but no mortgage.
Divorce, no pension plan and no desire to be poor in old age keeps me going.

anna7 Sat 08-Apr-23 14:46:04

I was working when I was 60 and so were many of my friends. Some still with mortgages. I don't think it's unusual at all. Not in the circles I move in anyway

Taylor2016 Sat 08-Apr-23 14:51:34

I’m 63/ divorced/ moved out of London to ensure I didn’t have a mortgage. I work part time(working this weekend!)as the house I purchased is in need of TLC.
Trying to save a bit each month…..

TwiceAsNice Sat 08-Apr-23 15:12:28

I’m nearly 70 still working part time. I live with my family and contribute to a mortgage as part of shared bills.

I was working full time up until I was 64. I like my job and intend to continue working part time for a long time yet. I don’t think your situation is unusual. Personally I would be bored if I didn’t work

Kandinsky Sat 08-Apr-23 15:16:11

Is an equity release a possible solution, for you?

We did look into this a couple of years ago but decided against it.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 08-Apr-23 15:27:13

My sister in Australia is 65 and still works as does her OH who is 68.

M0nica Sat 08-Apr-23 15:33:37

DH is coming up to 80. he still works, on and off, and we took out an interest-only mortgage 2 years ago to pay for an extension that added mor value to our house than the mortgage iself. This will be repaid when we sell the house and have little effect on our capacity to buy another house as it is quite small.

crazyH Sat 08-Apr-23 16:06:03

No but I wish I did. Such a waste of my education. But it’s a catch 22. If I worked, I would lose the alimony from my husband. And, due to a slip of my solicitor’s pen, the alimony wasn’t inflation-proofed. Never mind, I’m not complaining.

GagaJo Sat 08-Apr-23 17:06:12

Still working. Still got a mortgage. No pension until 67. 😫😫😫

Kandinsky Sat 08-Apr-23 18:00:17

Thanks everyone.

& Same here GagaJo no state pension until 67.

Fleurpepper Sat 08-Apr-23 18:05:27

Glad those days are over for us. I do wonder how our ACs will manage, and how long they will have to work!!!

NotSpaghetti Sat 08-Apr-23 18:06:43

I am older than you.
Still working- mortgage just over.

rafichagran Sat 08-Apr-23 18:26:40

I will reire this month. I have just my 66th birthday, I have no mortgage, I have paid off the car as well.
I live in the South East, I have a smallish house, so cannot down size, if I moved out further away from London I could maybe get a larger house but there is no point.
I am not wealthy but due to paying of my mortgage and car I will be OK with state and occ pen.

TillyTrotter Sat 08-Apr-23 18:33:34

Well done you Kandinsky it will be worth your extra slog.
I retired at 60 but have very reduced income so with hindsight maybe I would have kept working it was just that I always wanted to stop at 60. (I was worn out frankly).

CanadianGran Sat 08-Apr-23 18:39:48

Still working full time (I'm 61), we have a mortgage on a rental property, but could sell it if needed. I plan to retire in a year, so trying to build up savings.

valdali Sat 08-Apr-23 18:44:19

I'm coming up to 62, still work fulltime. No mortgage but can't afford to retire yet, but don't intend to work past 63 even if it means I struggle financially. DH is 64 & runs own business, not thinking of retiring yet.I do get very tired, and because a lot of my contemporaries & my younger sibling have already retired, like you I feel ready to retire now if only I could.I think any higher than 67 for state pension is not fair on those who are fortunate enough to still be fit enough to work (& alive) at this age. Even if it's not physical work, it still takes it out of you when you get past 60 & have been working for the past 43 years & bringing up a family etc at the same time.Not so easy juggling work with family responsibilies / the home / DIY any longer.

Norah Sat 08-Apr-23 19:03:12

Fleurpepper

Glad those days are over for us. I do wonder how our ACs will manage, and how long they will have to work!!!

It will be fine, as it ever was.

Kandinsky Sat 08-Apr-23 19:06:58

Well done you Kandinsky it will be worth your extra slog

That’s what I tell myself!
And I’m sure it will be. 🤞