Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Alternatives to calling yourself (semi) retired

(30 Posts)
DENISE391 Mon 18-Apr-22 12:02:11

I'd love your input as a wrestle with how to describe myself. I've got my occupational pension, and still work, but very much part-time (self employed consultancy), alongside academic study and interests. Saying I'm retired doesn't feel right. Semi-retired seems better, but not sure if that really fits. I've come across people who say that they are in 'refirement' or -pre-tirement'. Neither feel right to me. I'd love to know your thoughts and ideas. Thank you. smile

biglouis Wed 20-Apr-22 01:06:25

I tell people Im "retired" when I dont want to become involved in a conversation.

Other times I tell them Im self employed and I run an internet company. That starts off a whole other conversation ...

Katie59 Wed 20-Apr-22 09:48:09

I work “part time”, not because I need to, because I enjoy the company, interaction with others and the perks of the job. It can be a nuisance, they are strict about time off, days at short notice are always difficult, as long as my health remains good I plan to continue.

Fogler Sat 25-Jun-22 21:06:57

If you're worried about, I'd say don't go beyond saying what you do for work. no need to mention retirement or your part time status, you work as a consultant.

biglouis Sat 25-Jun-22 23:58:17

If you get beyond the retired/semi retired/consultancy stage I would be tempted to ask "why is that relvant?"

I often find that when people preface a question with "So" they are about to ask one for personal information in an idle way. Stating that is a great conversation stopper. Im not bound to please others with my answers.