Gransnet forums

Webchats

Daughter and family in Australia

(55 Posts)
Sleepless Thu 13-Oct-22 02:53:06

I’m new to gransnet and am a new Granny. My daughter currently lives in Perth with her husband and 6 month old. We endured the pandemic and were able to visit when the baby was born, they have also been over for a long stay this summer. They were booked to come for Christmas but (and I totally understand why) they have cancelled. My daughter is returning to work and they really don’t have the time and energy atm for the journey. My problem is I am knocked sideways by this and stunned by how miserable
I feel. We have a large family and two other children in the uk but right now it doesn’t seem to help. Every time a friend mentions they are ‘seeing the grandchildren this weekend ‘ or similar I fight tears. They say they are going to live in the uk again but I don’t really believe them, my son in law loves it there and so does my daughter although she is struggling with being so far away. Please don’t tell me to FaceTime etc - we do all the time and are always talking via WhatsApp. We will go out next year but the cost, discomfort etc is difficult. Added to which we can’t stay with them as they are in a small apartment so we have to pay for an apartment and we can’t go for a short visit due to the distance. We can’t afford to keep up these visits and also have other holidays with friends/family which if I’m honest I resent. I just wondered how other people deal with this and are able to reconcile it all.

Aldom Tue 18-Oct-22 06:56:26

NellieJ So very sorry for the loss of your daughter. flowers

Allsorts Tue 18-Oct-22 07:12:25

?Nellie. I am so sorry.
To all of you with your children living so far away it must be so hard, but with Skype, face time and the internet, you can see and speak with each other, not in any way as good as a hug I know, but you can be part of their lives from a distance. It must be a comfort to have someone who knows what you’re experiencing like Maddy. I hope you all get a chance to meet up soon.

Grammaretto Tue 18-Oct-22 19:08:01

SorryNellieJ how tragic.
flowers

Ning74 Wed 26-Oct-22 21:30:31

I wonder if you had thought of something like house/pet sitting as a way of spending mores time in Australia to be near your family there.
I did this in the UK and loved it. I do love animals so it was a pleasure for me to care for other people’s pets when they were away on holiday. Also to look after their home. I enjoyed exploring new areas I hadn’t been to before in this country and I have also done it in France with a friend. Trusted House Sitters/pets sitters.