Gransnet forums

Webchats

Daughter and family in Australia

(55 Posts)
Sleepless Thu 13-Oct-22 02:53:06

I’m new to gransnet and am a new Granny. My daughter currently lives in Perth with her husband and 6 month old. We endured the pandemic and were able to visit when the baby was born, they have also been over for a long stay this summer. They were booked to come for Christmas but (and I totally understand why) they have cancelled. My daughter is returning to work and they really don’t have the time and energy atm for the journey. My problem is I am knocked sideways by this and stunned by how miserable
I feel. We have a large family and two other children in the uk but right now it doesn’t seem to help. Every time a friend mentions they are ‘seeing the grandchildren this weekend ‘ or similar I fight tears. They say they are going to live in the uk again but I don’t really believe them, my son in law loves it there and so does my daughter although she is struggling with being so far away. Please don’t tell me to FaceTime etc - we do all the time and are always talking via WhatsApp. We will go out next year but the cost, discomfort etc is difficult. Added to which we can’t stay with them as they are in a small apartment so we have to pay for an apartment and we can’t go for a short visit due to the distance. We can’t afford to keep up these visits and also have other holidays with friends/family which if I’m honest I resent. I just wondered how other people deal with this and are able to reconcile it all.

Ning74 Wed 26-Oct-22 21:30:31

I wonder if you had thought of something like house/pet sitting as a way of spending mores time in Australia to be near your family there.
I did this in the UK and loved it. I do love animals so it was a pleasure for me to care for other people’s pets when they were away on holiday. Also to look after their home. I enjoyed exploring new areas I hadn’t been to before in this country and I have also done it in France with a friend. Trusted House Sitters/pets sitters.

Grammaretto Tue 18-Oct-22 19:08:01

SorryNellieJ how tragic.
flowers

Allsorts Tue 18-Oct-22 07:12:25

?Nellie. I am so sorry.
To all of you with your children living so far away it must be so hard, but with Skype, face time and the internet, you can see and speak with each other, not in any way as good as a hug I know, but you can be part of their lives from a distance. It must be a comfort to have someone who knows what you’re experiencing like Maddy. I hope you all get a chance to meet up soon.

Aldom Tue 18-Oct-22 06:56:26

NellieJ So very sorry for the loss of your daughter. flowers

Juliet27 Tue 18-Oct-22 06:23:28

grammaretto I’ve pm’d you

Grammaretto Tue 18-Oct-22 04:00:13

I'm in almost the same boat sleepless
It's my DS who settled in NZ 15 yrs ago with his gf
When they left they said it "might not be forever" but it was.

We visited twice, the last time when DGS was a baby. He is 10 now
They came here too several times but DH became ill and died during the pandemic. DS managed to get here on his own which was a gt support for me.

This year all of them came and stayed for a month with me and took me to France with them.
This super quality time has been wonderful.

Until this year I imagined I would not go to NZ again but after spending so much time with my DGS I changed my mind and have told him I want to come to see his life in action so I am making plans for next year.

There is an acceptance - there has to be.
I am not alone in having family the other side of the world or being on my own. These things happen.

As others have said, there are solutions .
My cousin does house sitting so visits her DS for months at a time.

None of my DC are close by and all have busy lives so the best thing to do is to look to my friends and my interests to keep me from feeling sorry for myself.
I do feel sad sometimes. The day they left I went down with covid, the Queen died, it poured with rain and I felt wretched.

nanna8 Tue 18-Oct-22 00:05:41

Sometimes ,also, you get on really well at a distance. I found that when we emigrated I got on really well with my MIL who I used to ring every week and have long chats with. When we were in the same country I really didn’t get on with her at all and we never had long talks. With my Mum, a bit similar though I missed talking to my Dad who wasn’t one for phone conversations.

NellieJ Mon 17-Oct-22 23:47:23

As long as they are happy and well x my daughter and her family in Oz she tragically died x her boys are save and happy x ins new blended family as well as their Oz ones and that is all I can ask x we face time and share memories x

Nana4 Mon 17-Oct-22 20:03:37

So many of us in that boat it seems. I did it to my family so I can’t complain. They are happy, that’s all that matters. It gets harder to travel as we age I am
finding✈️

jerseygirl Mon 17-Oct-22 19:46:57

You will get used to it although you wont believe it at the moment. My daughter and son in law and my grandson live in Perth and have done for the past 13 years. My grandson was born in Australia, he is now 11. They have visited when they can but unfortunately we cant afford to go to Australia. Over the years we have had to get used to not seeing them and you do in time. We speak to them on the internet when we can which helps. We have had to get used to it and you will to.

Forsythia Mon 17-Oct-22 10:38:07

That is a very thoughtful and fantastic post with lots of helpful information- thank you ?

madeleine45 Mon 17-Oct-22 09:26:13

I have been on both sides, having lived 2 years in Portugal , before mobiles emails etc. Then lived in Damascus with no working phones and all mail came through the firm!! My first husband was an only child, and his mother expected ( well actually demanded!) a letter every week. My husband only used to add a few lines at the bottom and I was the one who did the writing, but the rigidity of every week doesnt make for good connections. My own parents were happy to receive letters as and when. So after some time there I was singing professionally with the Gulbenkian choir in Lisbon, teaching in an american school (only 12/14 children, but age range 4-8 and 7 different languages !) So I had 3 rehearsals a week plus solfage plus recordings and concerts, and life could be hectic at times. So used to send airmail letters and on one occasion sent 12 foolscap pages to them. I used to send personal information and what we had been doing etc but also tried to give a view of life there - this was under Salazar. So went to the Algarve and picked lemons from the trees and came back and gave a pancake party, to return hospitality to many people so embassy, husbands firm, new friends , choir members etc. So made up 3lb of flour into pancake batter. A kitchen with two doorways allowed in one way out the other, and made savoury things like a chilli or curry etc and sweet things like stewed apple with a little cinnamon and of course centre place was cut glass bowl with halves of lemons and oranges. I stood there tossing pancakes and people made a wish and then went for their choice of fillings. It went very well with someone playing guitar on the balcony and people singing etc.My mother kept all these letters and it gave quite an overview of life there . My sister was a senior librarian in london and suggested that we gave the letters to a social archive etc as I had written about festas and all sorts of things and so they are a bit of social history of that time. I know we all have emails etc but for me you cannot beat a letter. When you have a horrible day, feeling sad and miserable , it is consolation to be able to go and read them and remember things, and remind yourselves that you have your loving family even if not close physically to you . So I do two things now as I am on the other end. Still send actual birthday cards etc and put in a letter of happenings but also add in details about changes , that the petrol station is pulled down and new houses there etc. Sounds trivial but when you live a long way away keeps you in touch with your home town or whatever. Then I also write letters sometimes that are never posted, about how miserable I feel , especially now I am a widow, and covid has made life difficult and so forth. I write it in the middle of the night. Stick it in a drawer and leave it for perhaps a week. Then get it out and look at it , and decide what I might need to do about it - try and visit or ask them to visit or whatever and then rip it up - actually tearing it up is quite freeing! Now as far as NZ and Aus, when I worked in an airline there used to be a group for people to join which I think after 12 months got you reduced prices. Worth checking that out. The house sitting can be good , I also get the Lonely Planet book from the library for any country I think of visiting. They have lots of tips about cheap travel and places you might like to see. My only son is adopted, and I remember how hard it was when we so longed for a child and every one else was having babies. People assumed I was a career woman and didnt want children so sometimes were very hurtful. Now I also have not been able to see my grandson , and they live quite close to my daughter in laws family so it makes me feel left out and alone some times , but I am glad they are a happy family and dont want to put my feelings onto them, but as you say when friends and acquaintances are telling you what their families are doing and showing pictures of trips together it is painful. So I go for two things, firstly have a friend in a similar position , her son is out in NZ , happy there but not great at keeping in touch, so if I have a bad day I will ring her up and we might meet for coffee or go swimming together , and we have in the past found a cheap offpeak lodge offer with 2 bedrooms and a hottub! We had a very happy 4 days, did our own thing and shared the cost. Enjoyed it and it also of course gave us something to tell our children about. I find swimming great, it helps my back, you see other people and chat but we are all swimmng so not talking about families and then might go for coffee afterwards. Then you get home feeling very virtuous, having had some exercise, helped your back, and kept the photo shots at bay!
Is there a local community group near you? I have been pleased to find this coffee morning for women, where any woman can go,one morning a week, dont need to book , stay for the full time or drop in and out etc. Great no pressure, and if my back is bad , dont go. dont feel I have let anyone down like that. So over a few weeks I have met lots of different women, but have formed a friendship with 3 different women who I see outside the group. I was a keen gardener , but cant do much now and have very small space, but have found a gardening friend through this and a singing friend too. I do not take away from your feelings. I havent seen my grandson for over a year and at a young age, they change so quickly and you feel you are missing out so much, but these other things help a bit , and here we are on gransnet. A good forum to find information, good ideas and help and sympathy. I hope one or two ideas are helpful from our comments and who knows perhaps if we were near enough to a few others we might meet up for coffee or lunch or whatever somewhere. We could speak about things or not knowing that we are all in the same boat. So write a few letters and hope to get the odd one back that you can put by your bedside to read when you need it. It is also seeing their handwriting etc and besides what will all the archivists and social documenting and heir hunters do if we only use email and internet. In the future they wont be able to delve into all those interesting diaries and letters . Wishing you all the best

Suzyb Sun 16-Oct-22 23:45:28

I totally understand how you feel Sleepless but all I can say is it does get easier over time. Our daughter has lived in Melbourne Australia for 12 years. She has a husband and 4 year old daughter. Our son his wife and our 5 year old granddaughter went to live in Amsterdam with his job 2 years ago and they have recently had a new baby boy. We have no other children living in the U.K..
We manage to visit Amsterdam quite often but obviously Australia is far harder. This Christmas our daughter and family are coming to Amsterdam for 3 weeks so we will all be there together. Like Frue suggested, we belong to Trusted Housesitters and have house and pet sat in Melbourne and also Sydney in some beautiful houses and this Christmas we’re looking after a cat in Amsterdam. We’re there to be with our families but also have our own space, which as we’re there for a long period, we find easier.
The flight over to Australia is long I agree but I see it as a means to an end and while we’re healthy enough we’re happy to do it. At least we’re there for a couple of months so have plenty of time to get over the jet lag.
On another note, I have friends in the U.K. who are asked to childmind on a regular basis each and every week but then never seem to be asked to their sons or daughters to spend quality time with them as a family.

mokryna Sun 16-Oct-22 19:07:50

GrauntyHelen I am sorry to differ, it takes time not medicine.

NemoNanna Sun 16-Oct-22 19:07:07

Sleepless, I could have written your post, my middle DS has lived in Australia for 12 years after meeting an Australian girl while working in London. We’ve been out three times and they’ve been here a few times, which is harder now they have two children. I also understand how you feel about the cost, when you have a limited budget so ‘normal holidays’ are curtailed as the cost of flights has gone up so much. I also have the guilt that I do far more for the two local DGC and am a big part of their lives. However, on balance, I say that it is their choice to live so far away and they are happy and have a wonderful lifestyle and we have had the opportunity to travel and see things we wouldn’t have seen otherwise such as New Zealand, Tasmania, Singapore, Ayers Rock and the Great Barrier Reef. It’s so good to know there are lots of us out there who have similar thoughts and experiences with families on the other side of the world.

Forsythia Sun 16-Oct-22 18:59:19

That’s nice isn’t it. As if she isn’t feeling bad enough without you telling her she needs anti depressants. Let’s hope nothing like this happens to you because I certainly won’t be sympathetic!

GrauntyHelen Sun 16-Oct-22 18:49:18

You sound like you need a trip to GP for antidepressants being so tearful isn't normal

MoreThanGrand Sun 16-Oct-22 16:52:51

Sleepless, there's a wonderful book by NZ author & researcher Helen Ellis, called "Being a Distance Grandparent". It covers both the emotional and practical side of being a long-distance grandparent. You can read my review of it here: Review

We sometimes don't recognize that what we are experiencing when our families are so far away is actually grief. And grief is something that takes time to heal--be gentle with yourself!

11unicorn Sun 16-Oct-22 15:52:03

Why don't you look into a "house swap" site, maybe you could go for 6 month. That means you only have to pay out for the flight.
Though a lot of people are not comfortable with having strangers in their house, but it would give you a way of affordable stay in Australia.
Google it and there are trustworthy sites about.

susytish Sun 16-Oct-22 15:32:50

Just adding to my post. My son said to me you told me to go and see the world! I did but expected him to come back!
Please try and keep yourself busy, that may help.
I am sure it is interesting reading all these stories, but may not help how you feel this minute.
Be kind to yourself and maybe plan for when you can maybe next meet. I would give you a hug if I could.

BridgetPark Sun 16-Oct-22 15:20:02

Hi sleepless, I really feel for you, it's an awful situation for you. I have experience of this myself. My middle child emigrated to Aus after he met a young lady online. He worked hard doing farmwork, and various grunt jobs, to be able to pay for his working visa etc. Dh and I helped him a little with his finances. And my heart sank as it gradually dawned on me that this was it, he was going to choose to live there permanently. I cried myself to sleep many nights, but as with most things, you do become accustomed to it. You learn to shuffle your feelings around and get through the day ok, which is alright until you are on your own and can't escape the feelings in your head. But fast forward 18 years, and him and his beautiful wife have given us 3 lovely grandchildren. We went over once, and they got married whilst we were there, a great occasion. We combined it with seeing a bit of Australia on our own, and it was so wonderful.
I have two other children who are married, my daughter has a boy and a girl of her own, who we see regularly, they are my pride and joy.
And we have arranged to pay for son and his wife in Aus to come over at Xmas to stay for 3 weeks, they are paying for the children. The couldn't do it without us paying, so this is the best way round it. We could not face the long journey, and then the emotion at the end as we fly back home. But doing it this way, their children will see all of their Dad's favourite haunts and his old school and places of employment, not to mention the traditional sight seeing round the country.
My message to you really is to say, it will ease in time. It will broaden your horizons in a way you never imagined. You may go over there, but if you don't, and they come over here, you will love that just as much. And you will look our for all things Australian on the Tele or in the news. So it gives you a different and more enriching outlook on life.
Be happy that they are happy, be assured your love will always matter to them, try to see the positive in it all. Sending you love and hugs

nandad Sun 16-Oct-22 15:20:01

I would struggle if my only child emigrated but I often think of a colleague whose 3 children live in NZ, Canada and the US. She has just become a grandma and is still quite young so travel is still ok for her and her husband but I would hate to be in her position.

Ning74 Sun 16-Oct-22 15:06:28

As a first time Nan of two gorgeous granddaughters I have learnt so much from Gransnet. The most important thing being, be thankful and grateful for being invited to spend time with our granchildren even if it cannot be as often and as long as we would like.
I am in the UK with my grandaughters and my sons in the same country but we are hundreds of miles apart. My sons and their wives are extremely busy with full time work, children’s nurseries social life and everyday chores etc. and responsibilities. I am 75 so an older Nan but I am SO happy I am still here to meet my granddaughters and see them grow up for part of their childhood at least ??

susytish Sun 16-Oct-22 14:36:15

Hello. I understand how you feel. Our son went to study in the US when he was 23. He is now 45, has a great job, a gorgeous partner, a wonderful daughter and beautiful home. Even all these years later I do feel sad sometimes but have accepted things. It really is time, but I wonder if it is felt more when it is a daughter? The main thing to me is to see him happy.
I have a daughter here, married to a lovely man, and 2 lovely children. We moved across the country to be near them, and so glad we did.
I hope hearing all the stories will help you a little.
I really think a group for overseas children is excellent idea. I wanted to start one when my US granddaughter was born. 'Grans across the sea!'

hilz Sun 16-Oct-22 14:34:18

We bring them up knowing the world is accessible to them and even a few miles can feel like they are half way around the world. How sad that you are feeling so emotional at the moment and I hope things feel better for you soon. We, in our household, are not in your position and it seems like there are some good suggestions for you to choose from. We liked the idea of a house swap so much so that we will look to doing that here in the uk. Good luck with it all.