Gransnet forums

Technology

New car, no rear window

(57 Posts)
Jaxjacky Thu 01-Feb-24 09:52:26

The Polestar, from Volvo, has no rear window, so increased rear headroom. A roof mounted rear camera provides a visual feed to the driver.
What do you think?

Knitandnatter Thu 01-Feb-24 09:54:59

Mmmmm, something else to go wrong then.

Georgesgran Thu 01-Feb-24 10:00:32

Can’t see from the picture - presume it still has wing mirrors - rarely used by many!

henetha Thu 01-Feb-24 10:08:52

Personally, wouldn't fancy that.

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Feb-24 10:10:18

Yes it does Georgesgran.

MiniMoon Thu 01-Feb-24 10:10:39

No thank you! I wonder how wide a view the camera has.
I like to see all around.

Georgesgran Thu 01-Feb-24 10:15:20

I think I’ll give it a miss.
Probably can’t afford one anyway!

Grannynannywanny Thu 01-Feb-24 10:29:27

I wouldn’t like that as I’d worry about it going wrong. I’m inclined to think the more tech that’s built into cars the more potentially eye watering bills further down the line.

Apart from that my brain doesn’t cope well with car cameras. I sometimes drive my son’s car or daughter’s camper van, both of which have reversing cameras. I just can’t use them. My son thought it was hilarious recently when I tried to reverse his car into a parking space using the rear camera. No matter how I tried I couldn’t get the car between the white lines. Without the camera I can do it without giving it a thought 🤷‍♀️

1summer Thu 01-Feb-24 10:41:21

My SIL has recently got one of these, he had to have an electric car as he works for a power company and they give allowances for electric cars.
He had to wait 18months to get it. I really don’t like it, it has every gadget you can think of, it does have large screen for rear camera.
He can have 2 extra people on his insurance to drive it, and he asked if I wanted to - no thanks!!

karmalady Thu 01-Feb-24 10:43:10

I used to pull a horse trailer, therefore had no rear visibily, except for use of wing mirrors. They worked well however I would not ever choose to have no rear sightline via the front internal rearview mirror. I hope some top-up lessons come with the car.

I would never ever rely on a camera perched up on the back of a car. A rear windscreen has a washer/wiper and can be kept clean and all it takes is a glance into the rearview mirror to see if it is safe behind.

Where would the camera screen be? Yet another thing to distract a driver. Its a fad and as such a car like that would have poor resale value

Callistemon21 Thu 01-Feb-24 10:45:19

When the reversing camera gets damp it can give a distorted view.
If the car lights are on the reverse view is not clear.

This seems to be a potty idea and I wouldn't buy one, it would feel claustrophobic.

karmalady Thu 01-Feb-24 10:46:33

entry level cost is £45,000

for a gimmick

Callistemon21 Thu 01-Feb-24 10:47:33

karmalady

entry level cost is £45,000

for a gimmick

£45,000? Oh!
Well I won't be buying one anyway 😁

TinSoldier Thu 01-Feb-24 10:57:45

Today, Volvo announced that it may hand stewardship of "ailing luxury car brand" Polestar over to majority shareholder Geely Holding.

As a result, Volvo shares prices have risen by 20%.

www.cnbc.com/2024/02/01/volvo-shares-jump-21percent-on-higher-sales-plans-to-stop-polestar-funding.html

Sago Thu 01-Feb-24 11:07:47

Not for me😬.
I don’t even trust my reversing camera, I have to look myself!

rosie1959 Thu 01-Feb-24 11:31:33

Be handy on my DH car he has a Jaguar xf the back view is non existent with its sloped roof and tinted back windows. You have to reverse using the cameras as I can’t see out of the back.

Mollygo Thu 01-Feb-24 11:50:58

Driving a van with no rear windows was natural and didn’t bother me, so I’m not sure why I don’t like the idea of a car with no rear window.

Purplepixie Thu 01-Feb-24 11:54:42

Not for me as I like clear vision. I want to drive the car and not have the car drive me - around the bend!

tanith Thu 01-Feb-24 12:14:51

I’ve driven lots of different vehicles with no or very poor rear view so driving on side mirrors wouldn’t be a problem for me. I just took a look at the advert video and the rear camera does give a clear view but it’s not something I’d buy.
HOW MUCH!!!!!

MaizieD Thu 01-Feb-24 12:26:39

I've towed horse trailers and driven a 7.5 tonne horsebox. You get used to driving on wing mirrors alone. Every single lorry with a container you see on the roads is driven on their wing mirrors.

I admit it's a strange concept for a car and I'd find it quite disconcerting, but it's doable...

toscalily Thu 01-Feb-24 13:57:43

Might be doable but I wouldn't like to do it. All you need is a seagull to cloud the vision!

Mollygo Thu 01-Feb-24 14:02:40

toscalily

Might be doable but I wouldn't like to do it. All you need is a seagull to cloud the vision!

If you mean what I think you mean. . . 🤣🤣😁

toscalily Thu 01-Feb-24 14:03:14

Yes grin

toscalily Thu 01-Feb-24 14:04:07

We have a lot of crappy birds round here.

TurtleDove Sun 04-Feb-24 11:13:35

To be honest, it beggars belief really. Many years ago drivers were fined if their rear window was blocked by items such as cushions and boxes and toys, now it seems to be okay. Can all the drivers that were fined get their money back.