Gransnet forums

Technology

Need a new tablet! Help !

(55 Posts)
mumofmadboys Mon 29-Jan-24 15:59:46

My tablet is playing up and I think I need to get a new one. I use it a lot. I started with a Tesco Hudl which was great for years,then had a Samsung which was good. Latterly I have had a Levono which has disappointingly only lasted 18 months.
I'm not great with technology and not very intuitive. I think I want to get another Samsung.I like touchscreen. Anyone bought one recently they would recommend please? TIA

HelterSkelter1 Mon 29-Jan-24 16:04:56

I like my Samsung Galaxy about £160.00.

glammagran Mon 29-Jan-24 16:14:30

I have had tablets since they first came on the market.
iPad (can’t recall)
Samsung 2014
iPad 2019
iPad 2022

My next one will be a Samsung. Apple build obsolescence into their devices (in my opinion) when you install an update as they always seem to slow down and battery life decreases. I have been through 2 iPads in the time my DH has had one Samsung which he’s had since 2016 and he’s only just got a new one.

If you want to use Google or Microsoft, Apple make it as hard as they can bacause they only want you to use Apple products. My touchscreen is starting to fail so won’t be long before I have to replace.

Tizliz Mon 29-Jan-24 16:26:26

I have had my iPad for 8 years now, screen could be more responsive but works ok

Casdon Mon 29-Jan-24 17:37:19

I’ve got an iPad, it’s very easy to use. In my experience they are very reliable too, this is my second one, my first lasted over 6 years and was still functional when I upgraded.

glammagran Mon 29-Jan-24 17:51:05

Totally forgot to say DH got the Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 Tablet with Bluetooth S Pen, Android, 12GB RAM, 256GB, Wi-Fi, 11", Graphite from John Lewis. Having spent his whole working life in I.T. he is delighted with it. It’s not the only Samsung model JL sell and you do get a 2 year guarantee.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 29-Jan-24 19:18:12

Just love the way my iPad connects to my phone. I take a photo and it appears on my iPad. I use Google as a search engine and haven’t had any trouble as described above. The one I have at the moment is at least 7 years old and has updated regularly although has just updated to 16.4 and not 17.4 like my phone and my newer 12x9 iPad which I wanted as an aid for my eyesight, lovely photo displays, etc.

Sago Mon 29-Jan-24 19:18:18

iPad, I’ve had 3 since the first on came out.

glammagran Mon 29-Jan-24 19:49:01

Samsung phones also pairs to tablets. Can take photos on either device and also share with other devices like Apple.

Oldbat1 Mon 29-Jan-24 20:54:21

DH Just bought a reconditioned apple ipad. This is his 3rd. Looks brand new. Came direct from Apple. Easy to set up it took couple of key strokes to transfer everything onto the new one. We have Apple phones and Apple iPads for ease. We don’t buy new always reconditioned ones a few years old.

MayBee70 Mon 29-Jan-24 21:09:09

My softwear engineer neighbour told me to stick with Apple for security reasons.

Shinamae Mon 29-Jan-24 21:17:47

iPad mini for Me..

mumofmadboys Mon 29-Jan-24 22:51:07

Thanks all. Very useful to have all your opinions.

icanhandthemback Thu 01-Feb-24 11:31:26

My iPads seem to last longer than anyone's tablets. I will stick with it.

libra10 Thu 01-Feb-24 11:33:09

I have an ipad mini. I like it because as I have the kindle app installed, I can read e-books. The size is handier than the larger models.

Mollygo Thu 01-Feb-24 11:38:22

iPad mini. My current one is 5 years old, and my grandson is using my previous IPad.. I like the security.
My sister-in-law has a Samsung and is very satisfied with it.

Lexisgranny Thu 01-Feb-24 11:42:01

Another iPad fan, I too am on my third. I must admit that I upgraded when new models came out and passed on my old ones that were in perfect working order. I admit that I would rather do without tv than my iPad.

Cossy Thu 01-Feb-24 11:43:15

Husband has Samsung and I have IPad, we both like our devices. He also has sampling smart phone and I have IPhone, we like the way they link together.

Frogs Thu 01-Feb-24 11:55:44

I’m another one that buys reconditioned iPad/iPhones. There’s lots of sites sell reconditioned ones and haven’t had a problem but I found the reconditioned ones direct from the Apple site still rather pricey by comparison.

win Thu 01-Feb-24 11:57:24

iPad, iPhone and iMac for me, I have had them all for years and am on them 8 hours plus most days for my voluntary work. I love Apple and the technical support which goes with it, they are brilliant at giving advice and putting things right instantly. I would never consider anything else. I had a Mac screen replaced free of charge out of guarantee too.

Marydoll Thu 01-Feb-24 12:02:16

I am on my third Samsung Galaxy and wouldn't change.
I needed to replace it recently and my IT techie son recommended the latest Samsung, as he had just bought one.
I haven't used it yet, as the old one seems to have found a new lease of life!

Anniel Thu 01-Feb-24 12:15:20

I have been buying iPads for years and have about 5 generations of them. I think a iPad mini which has Face Recognition would be my ideal. I do all my banking online and only my iPhone and my large iPad have facial recognition. I know that Samsung tablets are excellent because that was a present to my daughter.’s 70th birthday present. She loves it and I can see that the spec is very high. I like speed and space so always look at the Spec.Apple is great but sucks people in by being familiar once you use one. I recently bought a Lenovo laptop but rarely use it because I like to sit in bed with my iPad as it is so familiar But if you are not an Apple adduct the Samsung looks like a good buy. It is great looking at each and trying to decide!

polnan Thu 01-Feb-24 12:34:22

I need a new ipad, but.....
I had one some years back, and only lately have I got to love it.. I think it is Apple, I have a Desktop,that my son put up for me, and Chrome and Google and I expected the ipad to mirror it.. I am not tech savvy as you may have already guessed.
my son, IT,, and two gs, IT, but all so busy, and I am not good at asking for help.
I need a new ipad cos like you Anniel, I like to use it in bed, and it does take good photos also.. but being so old, I think it is not large enough,, so struggle to make it do what I can do on my desktop!

It is like speaking a foreign language to read some of your posts. LOL

BettyBoop49 Thu 01-Feb-24 12:36:47

I splashed out on a Ipad Pro with keyboard.
I LOVE IT. My constant companion - books. news, photos, social media. letter writing (on Pages) TV and films, Expensive but worth every penny

Foxyferret Thu 01-Feb-24 12:57:02

Slightly off piste but how do you transfer all your stuff from your old iPad Air 2 to a new iPad. Oldbat1 said just a couple of clicks, would be interested to know how to do it, thanks.