Gransnet forums

Technology

Recommendations For Best SIM Only Deals?

(45 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 30-Oct-23 13:10:20

Just that really.

DH’s mobile provider is finishing so has to find a new one.

Lebara looks promising, any thoughts welcome.

Pittcity Mon 30-Oct-23 13:13:39

I use Money saving expert's comparison tool www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheap-mobile-finder/sim-only-filters

Parsley3 Mon 30-Oct-23 13:16:08

I am in the same boat. My Vodafone contract is up and I realise I am paying far more than I need to. Vodafone won't reduce the price so I am looking at Tesco mobile. Does anyone have experience of them?

bmacca Mon 30-Oct-23 16:22:06

I’ve been with Lebara for about 4 years and have found them really good. Low cost and reliable

Soupy Mon 30-Oct-23 16:23:22

I'm with Tesco mobile and pay about £10pm.

crazyH Mon 30-Oct-23 16:30:35

I’m with Tesco mobile, pay as you go. Most of my family and friends are on WhatsApp, so my bills are less than £10pm.

MerylStreep Mon 30-Oct-23 16:35:51

Calendergirl
I’m thinking of switching to lebara. My friend has just switched, it’s a very good deal.

BlueBelle Mon 30-Oct-23 16:41:51

Be very careful with some of the cheap offers on some of the newer named providers
My elderly friend was left for three weeks recently with her account (that her son had set up for her with a named provider I d never heard of ) she was cut off and her son was overseas unavailable and she was housebound, no person to speak to only robots (although it’s advertised as having real people who you could chat to) It really made her ill
She’s now changed to EE and yes it’s more money but still the cost of a coffee a week and she has the security of a shop in town if she’s has any problems She says that alone is worth the extra cost cheapest isn’t always best

Ailidh Mon 30-Oct-23 16:48:26

I use and swear by Smarty, £5 a month for unlimited calls and texts, 4 gb data.

My back up phone is on 1p mobile: for £30 you don't have to top up for a year. 1p a minute for calls, 1p per text, 1p per Mb data.

Salmo Mon 30-Oct-23 17:15:29

Lebara here, had it for several years without any problems. Uses Vodafone network but much cheaper

Evie66 Thu 02-Nov-23 11:40:01

I use Giffgaff, it uses BTs network, it costs me £10 per month. You get a lot of good options, like free calls and plenty of data time.

IamMaz Thu 02-Nov-23 11:49:26

I vote giffgaff too. It uses the O2 network (not BT). It’s run by the members too. You can purchase monthly ‘goody bags’ and they tell you each month if they think you should switch to a cheaper or dearer one. My current plan is £6 pcm.

janetsp Thu 02-Nov-23 11:50:02

I’m very happy with Tesco

Metra Thu 02-Nov-23 11:51:26

I have been with Giffgaff for many years and pay £6pm. My friend has been with Smarty for a year (£5) but had problems initially which have now settled down.

Gardenersdelight Thu 02-Nov-23 11:54:22

I've been with giffgaff for over 10 years and find them really good
Each month they send you details of your usage and recommend if they have a cheaper option. I don't know compared to other providers
I pay £12 for unlimited calls and texts and 22gb data

Catherine59 Thu 02-Nov-23 11:57:07

I'm on GiffGaff, they use the O2 network, have very good customer services and make sure you've got the right deal for your usage. I have a monthly rolling plan for £6 and get 2 GB of data, unlimited calls and texts and also EU roaming charges and if you have 5G, then that's included too. You can change the data limit monthly eg, 5 GB is £8 per month if you need more. I found them on Which who gave them a high score. Works very well for me! They also have a reward system for members and their friends if they join by recommendation from a member.

Stella14 Thu 02-Nov-23 12:01:17

Husband and I each pay £6 per month to Talk Mobile for unlimited calls and texts and so much data that we can’t use it!

CrazyGrandma2 Thu 02-Nov-23 13:11:15

Calendargirl

Just that really.

Someone just recommended Lebara to me and so far so good. £5pm gives me more data, messages, minutes than I could ever use and more importantly a good signal, often 4G! They use Vodafone.

Lilasnan Thu 02-Nov-23 13:24:27

I agree with Ailidh and I'm on the same £5 per month with unlimited calls texts and sufficient data for my needs. Smarty offer great deals I've been with them several years now without any issues far better and cheaper than than some of the bigger networks that I've been with previously.

missdeke Thu 02-Nov-23 13:34:13

Parsley3

I am in the same boat. My Vodafone contract is up and I realise I am paying far more than I need to. Vodafone won't reduce the price so I am looking at Tesco mobile. Does anyone have experience of them?

I have had various mobile phone providers and changed to Tesco mobile about 6 years ago. They have been great, always cheap deals available, customer service is great and you can usually get help from your local Tesco supermarket. I've never had a problem with reception and the upgrade deals have been great, I don't even consider switching any more.

4allweknow Thu 02-Nov-23 13:46:07

Giffgaff or Smarty. Both excellent. Giffgaff you can up or lower you monthly cost according to how much data you use eg £8 down to £6 for me this month. In fact they give you info on your use each month and whether you could save some money or if goibg to continue with increased use, to increase next months charge.

DollyD Thu 02-Nov-23 13:50:28

My Dgs 14 recommended Smarty when I was looking a couple of years back, my contract unlimited calls and texts is £6, overseas calls not included in that but with the App you can add that on when needed.
I have had no problems at all and found it to be very reliable.

FannyD Thu 02-Nov-23 14:03:06

More support from me for Lebara. After being with EE for some years, they suddenly raised the price by almost double. DS (our general tech adviser!) did a bit of research and found Lebara, at just less than I had been paying EE. I found the switch over a bit complicated but he helped me through, and actually it was very smooth.
Just a few days later, the same thing - a price rise - happened for DH’s phone. He was with Vodaphone. This time DS found that ASDA was better for him.

SueEH Thu 02-Nov-23 14:28:24

Calendargirl

Just that really.

Yes definitely Lebara. See if the MSE website has a deal. I changed to them 6 months ago and have been paying 99p per month for 5gb and unlimited every else. Next month it will go to £5.90 but there may be another deal on. I have a monthly rolling contract. Roaming is important to me and is included in the Lebara plans; just back from Crete and it worked perfectly.

SueEH Thu 02-Nov-23 14:29:58

Forgot to say, SIMs are 5g ready so depending where you are it will automatically pick up 5g.