Gransnet forums

Technology

Buying a new phone

(29 Posts)
Rachel311 Wed 11-Oct-23 13:29:35

I am looking at buying a new phone and found a site called Mozillion. has anyone used them to buy from? They do a Make an offer option has anyone used this a how much have they got off the price. Also if you got a reconditioned one was it any good?
Please let me have good or bad reviews please.

Theexwife Wed 11-Oct-23 13:42:18

I have always bought reconditioned phones, I am not bothered about having the latest model, usually about 3 years old, never had a problem. I bought them from Argos or Amazon.

pce612 Sat 14-Oct-23 11:10:12

I have had a refurbished Iphone XS for 3 years, just had the battery replace by Apple as it was getting very hot. Can't remember who I bought it from but a google search will give you plenty of choice.

JennyCee Sat 14-Oct-23 11:25:13

I’ve had a recon from Amazon and no complaints and am about to look for another recon

win Sat 14-Oct-23 11:27:42

Nothing but Apple for me, syncs with my iPad and iMac and so easy to use. Customer & technical service 24/7 free of charge. Just cannot beat it.

Metra Sat 14-Oct-23 11:43:48

Which recently published a comprehensive review of used phones. Phones are graded with Grade A being almost as expensive as new, Grade B should be OK, Grade C less reliable. They recommend Grade B.
Sellers they mention are Envirofone, Music Magpie, The Big Phone Store, Fonehouse, Mobiles.co.uk. Also Amazon Renewed Store give a 1 year guarantee as do Samsung Outlet. You should always check the return policy and reviews.

There is lots more information so if you are interested, PM me your email address and I will send you a copy.

Mokeswife Sat 14-Oct-23 11:57:28

I'm interested in this post as I'm looking for very cheap phones to replace my ancient ones (yes truly ancient!) because of the upcoming 'Digital Voice' service. I only keep a landline for emergencies because I primarily use my mobile. Now, from 2025, an adapter will be needed to use a landline but my ancient (older then 10 years) phones need replacing to enable them to be plugged into the back of the router and so usable. What worries me is the fact that many elderly folk do not have broadband and will be anxious about this especially as in many big, old houses the broadband may not receive the signal throughout the house. In addition, in the event of a power cut or your broadband is down you'll have no connection except your mobile - which many elderly folk do not use.
Sorry to use this post with a diversion but it seemed like the ideal opportunity to raise the issue.

Calendargirl Sat 14-Oct-23 12:01:36

DH has had two used mobiles from Music Magpie. (I phones).

We have been very pleased with them, quick and reliable ordering and delivery, a year’s warranty, seemed good value for money.

We went for the ‘very good’ or similar option, maybe not ‘pristine’ but absolutely suitable for him.

Gundy Sat 14-Oct-23 12:26:50

If you’re replacing your mobile phone - whether repurposed (recon) or new - make sure it’s an Apple iPhone. They’re the best, they’re easier to use than an Android phone. More people are switching over, you will not be sorry.

They’re the innovators, the periodic updates will keep your phone secure and safe. They have good trade-ins too towards new iPhones.

Can’t say enough about Apple products. My family dropped their Androids (Samsung) and switched. Everyone happy. And messages go through faster too - instantly, no lag time.
USA Gundy

Buttonjugs Sat 14-Oct-23 12:49:46

Mokeswife

I'm interested in this post as I'm looking for very cheap phones to replace my ancient ones (yes truly ancient!) because of the upcoming 'Digital Voice' service. I only keep a landline for emergencies because I primarily use my mobile. Now, from 2025, an adapter will be needed to use a landline but my ancient (older then 10 years) phones need replacing to enable them to be plugged into the back of the router and so usable. What worries me is the fact that many elderly folk do not have broadband and will be anxious about this especially as in many big, old houses the broadband may not receive the signal throughout the house. In addition, in the event of a power cut or your broadband is down you'll have no connection except your mobile - which many elderly folk do not use.
Sorry to use this post with a diversion but it seemed like the ideal opportunity to raise the issue.

Many landline phones need to be plugged in these days.

Rachel311 Sat 14-Oct-23 13:12:43

Thanks I have sent my email to you

BlueBelle Sat 14-Oct-23 13:20:05

I ve used CEX and Magicmagpie and always had very good experiences they are quick and efficient
Make sure you buy one with good battery and they will be fine and last

silverlining48 Sat 14-Oct-23 16:09:05

How do you know if the battery is good?

namo Sat 14-Oct-23 16:17:52

Recently I bought a refurbished iPhone XR from Music Magpie for £200. It arrived with the wrong battery charger. Luckily I found I had a charger that fitted. Then I found I couldn’t load apps because the software updates on the phone weren’t recent. Phoned Apple. They confirmed that the only way the most recent update could be installed was using an uptodate computer loaded with iTunes. I’m 80 and have mobility problems but I got on the train and went to stay with my eldest son. In a couple of hours he’d managed to update the phone with the latest software IOS 16. What a relief. And since then things have been okay. I should say that Music Magpie did send me return labels so I assume they would have reimbursed me.

62dg Sat 14-Oct-23 17:15:57

I bought a reconditioned I phone from amazon and it’s been great! I saved an awful lot compared to a new one and it wasn’t that old. I think it was worth the risk. I’ve done it twice now and even got an excellent resale price for my first I phone.

Ailidh Sat 14-Oct-23 18:13:40

I got my latest phone, an iphone 13 mini from reboxed.co .
Reconditioned, good price, good service.

I went through the Smarty service provider - excellent rates.

Pianokey Sat 14-Oct-23 18:23:59

I am recovering from the trauma of dealing with a dreadful co called Smart Cellular . I tried to buy a refurbished phone but the service wa appalling. Do NOT Use them
I’ve used Music Magpie instead and they seem excellent. The ‘very good’ phone looks pristine to me.
I definitely recommend buying refurbished.just don’t us Smart Cellular.

Sparklefizz Sat 14-Oct-23 18:26:04

I bought a reconditioned iPhone through Amazon but couldn't get it to load. I got very stressed up about it and blamed myself as I'm not all that good with technology. Eventually asked my son for help and he couldn't do anything with it either, so I realised it must be faulty and returned it and got a refund, no problem.

I couldn't go through all that again so I ended up buying a new phone but got a very good offer as it wasn't the latest model.

RoseberryTopping Sat 14-Oct-23 20:03:08

Please can anyone recommend a simple phone with text and telephone calls and big keyboard for my 86 year old sister in law who has Parkinson's, severe symptoms.

Grayling1 Sat 14-Oct-23 20:25:57

Have a look at the Doro range of mobiles which are not smart phones but quite adequate for telephone calls and texts.

DeeJaysMum Sun 15-Oct-23 15:35:40

@Gundy

You and your family might be all over apple products, having moved away from android, but I know a great many people moving in the opposite direction.
I personally, have always HATED, yes DESPISED, apple products, having even told my boss that he needed to give me my HP computer back within an hour of him having had my trusty machine replaced with an extremely expensive, useless, apple machine.
My office was on the 9th floor of our building, and I said I'd put his precious new machine out the window of it was still on my desk in 15mins. Needless to say, he ran down the corridor to the IT manager with instructions to "Give DeeJay'sMum her old computer back, NOW!".
I won the latest apple phone in a multi-prize competition last year, when I opened the unexpected box and saw the contents, it went straight in the bin and was picked up with the rest of the rubbish the following day by our council refuse collection team, so within a week, it had been incinerated, the best thing you can possibly do with one of those vile things in my opinion!

sodapop Sun 15-Oct-23 17:15:03

Seems a bit extreme to throw out a perfectly good phone DeeJaysMum someone could have made use of it.

Bijou Sun 15-Oct-23 23:12:17

I don’t have a mobile phone. Found a land line plus my IPad sufficient. Last week what was my land line was plugged into my BT hub. Works just the same apart from when making a local call you have to put in the whole number. Gradually this will happen everywhere because they are doing away with land lines. It works out cheaper.

Gundy Sun 15-Oct-23 23:35:45

DeeJaysMum… whatever you are comfortable with. You like Android.
(Wow, I wonder what the office staff was thinking…)

Shinamae Sun 15-Oct-23 23:57:02

I always buy apple but never buy a contract phone. There is a new supplier (independent)in my town and I have recently bought an iPhone 11 for £160 and it has a two year warranty…🤓
over the years, I have tried android phones, but just could not get on with them at all…