Gransnet forums

Technology

I cloud storage full

(56 Posts)
MayBee70 Sat 23-Sep-23 16:10:47

I keep getting messages from Apple to say my iCloud storage is almost full and I need to pay to increase it. I only have photos and emails on it: I’m sure most people have far more photos on their iPads of phones. I do have a lot of emails and keep deleting them. Does anyone else pay for more storage?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-Sep-23 16:22:13

Yes I pay just under a pound a month for extra storage.

MayBee70 Sat 23-Sep-23 16:27:52

Thanks. I think I’d better do that, then. I use my iPad for everything and I’d be in a mess if I lost the ability to email people.

alovelycupofteaa Sat 23-Sep-23 16:43:09

Ooh, do check it's not a scam message first MayBee, & don't click on anything within the message...I keep getting emails about this & they're fake. Check whether you have actually run out of iCloud storage by going to your Settings....General....iPad storage &
that will tell you whether it's full or not

BlueBelle Sat 23-Sep-23 16:48:26

I pay 99p a month for enough space to keep an elephant it’s because I have thousands of photos and videos I don’t think emails take up space do they as you get rid of them

J52 Sat 23-Sep-23 16:48:34

Good advice alovelycupoftea, also delete all unwanted photos, videos, texts and mail.
I’m always getting this message. It reminds me to clean things up.

MamGu12 Sat 23-Sep-23 16:51:01

Yes I pay 79p a month ,and you can check on your storage as the poster above said in setting.

Doodledog Sat 23-Sep-23 17:01:12

Is there a way to save your photos and music on the cloud instead of your phone without losing it? I have a lot of 'hard copy' music on what used to be iTunes (ie saved from my own CDs) and don't want to lose it, as it took ages to upload it all in the first place. TBH, I usually stream from Apple Music, but I want to keep a digital copy of my own music. That, along with my photos, now takes up well over 32G, and my phone is starting to groan. I do have iCloud storage, and would be happy to move it to that if I could free up space on my phone, but I also use a MacBook and iPad, and everything synchs because it is all on the same network.

MayBee70 Sat 23-Sep-23 17:53:08

alovelycupofteaa

Ooh, do check it's not a scam message first MayBee, & don't click on anything within the message...I keep getting emails about this & they're fake. Check whether you have actually run out of iCloud storage by going to your Settings....General....iPad storage &
that will tell you whether it's full or not

Thanks for that. I’ve looked in settings and it is almost full. When my last iPad broke last year I*was able to transfer everything onto my new iPad. It made me realise how dependent I am on it. I do try to delete emails but I get so many of them. It’s my fault for subscribing to any discounts I see!
*I say ‘I’ but it was really my wonderful neighbour who’s a softwear engineer and just happened to be home for the weekend!

alovelycupofteaa Sat 23-Sep-23 19:17:31

Oh well it sounds like you do need some more storage then & it is probably genuine - I certainly pay for extra on my Mac. I’d still go onto your Apple account & set it up from there yourself though, rather than following any links , but maybe that’s just me being extra cautious!

Pittcity Sat 23-Sep-23 19:23:43

If you already pay for Amazon Prime there is unlimited cloud storage included in the subscription.

MayBee70 Sat 23-Sep-23 20:05:59

alovelycupofteaa

Oh well it sounds like you do need some more storage then & it is probably genuine - I certainly pay for extra on my Mac. I’d still go onto your Apple account & set it up from there yourself though, rather than following any links , but maybe that’s just me being extra cautious!

I’m going to do it through settings.

MamGu12 Sat 23-Sep-23 21:04:30

Yes Apple let’s me know every month they have taken 79p and I have 50gbites of storage

MamGu12 Sat 23-Sep-23 21:08:32

Just checked and I pay 99p not 79p that’s for 50 GB of storage .

Doodledog Sat 23-Sep-23 21:31:19

Does anyone know whether if I delete music from my phone, it will be removed from iCloud, or can I store it on there separately, please?

Caravansera Sat 23-Sep-23 22:59:09

This recent article from Martyn Casserly for Macworld:

www.macworld.com/article/671705/how-to-delete-music-from-an-iphone.html

In this article, we show how to delete the music on your iPhone or iPad and explain how you can still access the tracks without storing them on your device.

Doodledog Sat 23-Sep-23 23:36:05

Thank you! I will have a proper look tomorrow and give it a go.

maddyone Sun 24-Sep-23 01:01:20

Yes Maybee I have extra storage and I pay a small monthly charge for it. I think it’s about 79 pence per month.

silverlining48 Sun 24-Sep-23 08:34:04

I have an old iPhone SE on pay as you go. I pay 99 p for cloud storage.
I don’t have music video or games etc only photos yet despite deleting lots of photos I keep getting messages saying my phone is full. Now starting not to be able to use it at all as no access. Even to GN.

I suppose I need a new phone but am reluctant as hardly use it.

Any tech advice gratefully accepted, thanks

alovelycupofteaa Sun 24-Sep-23 09:18:11

Silverlining48 - check your storage through Settings as above, and see what is taking up all the room. You can always delete photos just from the iPhone, whilst keeping them all in the cloud still (ie external storage). You will be able to access all your photos from the cloud any time you have internet access

JackyB Sun 24-Sep-23 10:19:19

No idea how Apple works, but normally if you click on "delete" you should be asked where you want to delete it from.

Doodledog Tue 26-Sep-23 16:48:19

Caravansera

This recent article from Martyn Casserly for Macworld:

www.macworld.com/article/671705/how-to-delete-music-from-an-iphone.html

^In this article, we show how to delete the music on your iPhone or iPad and explain how you can still access the tracks without storing them on your device.^

That will only keep access to tunes that were bought from Apple, and what I want to keep is the copies of my own CDs, which are saved onto the hard drive, so I'm no further forward, I'm afraid. I want to move them to the Cloud and stream from Apple Music, but have access to my own music at some point.

Happygirl79 Tue 26-Sep-23 16:54:19

alovelycupofteaa

Silverlining48 - check your storage through Settings as above, and see what is taking up all the room. You can always delete photos just from the iPhone, whilst keeping them all in the cloud still (ie external storage). You will be able to access all your photos from the cloud any time you have internet access

I'm going to sound pretty dim here but hiw do you access things stored in the cloud? It's a mystery to me

Caravansera Tue 26-Sep-23 17:20:32

Doodledog Do you subscribe to Apple Music? This:

If you subscribe to Apple Music or iTunes Match, you can store all of your music in your iCloud Music Library, including songs you imported from CDs and purchased from places other than the iTunes Store. You can play those songs on any of your computers or devices whenever you want.

To download any item from your iCloud Music Library to your computer, click the item’s iCloud Download button . To view only your downloaded items, click Downloaded in the sidebar on the left.

Any good?

Doodledog Tue 26-Sep-23 17:24:34

Yes, I do subscribe, and that is exactly what I want to do. But what I don't know is how to do it grin.

I would like to store all my music in the Cloud to free up space on my phone, and so it is safely stored even though I can play most of it through Apple Music. In the past, when I have deleted a track or album it is gone from everywhere.