Gransnet forums

Technology

Artificial Intelligence Chatbots may soon be more intelligent than us

(32 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

NanaDana Tue 02-May-23 07:47:18

Geoffrey Hinton, the man widely seen as the godfather of AI, has warned of its dangers, as he quits his job at Google. How worried should we be, and what, if anything, can be done about it?

AGAA4 Tue 02-May-23 08:43:52

Do you remember sci-fi films from long ago where robots took over? This is becoming a reality. They can be more intelligent and more efficient than us so can take the place of humans. They don't need holidays or time off sick and have no emotions so don't get upset if another better robot takes their place.
It all rather worrying.

FannyCornforth Tue 02-May-23 08:44:31

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1323325-So-how-worried-should-we-be-about-AI

FannyCornforth Tue 02-May-23 08:48:07

www.gransnet.com/forums/technology/1322796-Chatgpt-How-very-scary-is-this

I think that the chat bots are just the tip of a huge iceberg.
As I said on the thread started by WhiteWave, huge swathes of people like doctor and lawyers will be surplus to requirements.
I reckon they will have to bring in Universal Income.
It’s going to be a huge Revolution, and we won’t be prepared whatsoever

seadragon Tue 02-May-23 09:01:31

At the other extreme, as a species, we are losing our ability either to pay attention/focus or think long term..... I posted a thread on this here on Gransnet last month about a book called Stolen focus: why you can't pay attention
but it attracted no comment. I have also recently finished a book called
The Good Ancestor : how to think long term in a short-term world
Krznaric, Roman
Both books offer hope in the face of the development of AI but we must be willing to pay attention and think long term,

NanaDana Tue 02-May-23 09:06:27

I fear that you're right, FannyCornforth, and that we're well down the track towards the point where in purely practical terms, human intervention becomes both irrelevant and unnecessary. The ethical implications are being overlooked in the name of profit. We've already seen this in retail, where society has moved inexorably away from a scenario where we all shopped in the village store or on the high street, and were a society which mixed and had daily interaction with others. It's now mainly de-personalised on line or out of town shopping, and even there the supermarkets are all encouraging us to "smartshop" either with a smartphone or a little device they supply, in a move which makes check-out operators redundant.
What worries me more than anything is that we seem to be passively sleep-walking into this nightmare existence. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, based on the widespread apathy about climate change. Dylan Thomas wrote : "Do not go gentle into that good night... Rage, rage against the dying of the light. " If only..

karmalady Tue 02-May-23 09:12:50

chatbots can already be programmed to take on a person`s voice, tone, mannerisms. All it takes is 40 seconds of listening to your voice and that could be via social media including whatsapp.

Think of that scenario, a dd on hodiday in eg mexico has lost her cc and travel tickets. `she` rings you to borrow your cc details to buy more tickets and for some travel money. Most details can be found online these days, a clever hack into an online shopping site, social media details about you and dd. Her `voice` sounds exactly like your dd

DS in banking has told me all about this stuff, he is in IT and there are quite a few companies which are hacked but keep it quiet to avoid panic. Your details are likely stored already by potential scammers, until those details can be hacked in a year or two via a `simple` robotic algorhythmn, available to buy on the dark web.

Caleo Tue 02-May-23 09:19:48

It's not possible to be fully 'intelligent' unless one is capable of feelings, of experiencing, which a bot cannot do. For some reason only carbon-based entities can feel.

Caleo Tue 02-May-23 09:22:36

PS due to their lack of affect, although bots can misinform and disinform they cannot tell the difference between moral right and moral wrong.

FannyCornforth Tue 02-May-23 09:26:51

I agree with you too NanaDana.
And it’s telling that the folk who know most about AI and actually will profit most, like Musk and Hinton, are the ones who are trying to distance themselves from it; not to mention the ones who are most scared by it.
It is indeed a nightmare

volver3 Tue 02-May-23 09:32:07

It's not a nightmare.

Its not Terminator come true.

Intelligence means something specific to AI researchers, not that the bot is going to become a doctor and put us all out of work. Intelligent systems share information really, really quickly. They are not sentient.

dogsmother Tue 02-May-23 09:36:23

Without Hinton Seadragon has me down to a tee. More and more flibberty gibbit as time goes by. Perhaps it’s all due to AI !

FannyCornforth Tue 02-May-23 09:37:13

I know that it isn’t ‘Terminator come true’, don’t patronise me.
I actually know quite a bit about this.

seadragon Tue 02-May-23 09:38:04

Caleo

PS due to their lack of affect, although bots can misinform and disinform they cannot tell the difference between moral right and moral wrong.

And they can't and don't CARE.

volver3 Tue 02-May-23 09:39:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

FannyCornforth Tue 02-May-23 09:41:08

volver3 Tue 02-May-23 09:42:54

You know better than everyone else on every thread.

Probably, when it comes to science and this thread in particular.

Maybe not "Caleo".

NanaDana Tue 02-May-23 09:46:01

FannyCornforth

I know that it isn’t ‘Terminator come true’, don’t patronise me.
I actually know quite a bit about this.

I wouldn't get involved, FannyCornforth. Just a bit predictable. I have to laugh. As someone said so accurately the other day : "The gift that keeps on giving". grin

volver3 Tue 02-May-23 09:47:49

If you could invent one of those that would be a great use of AI.

I will leave you all to wallow in your combined fear of the future.

Caleo Tue 02-May-23 09:52:58

Seadragon wrote:

"PS due to their lack of affect, although bots can misinform and disinform they cannot tell the difference between moral right and moral wrong"(Caleo)

And they can't and don't CARE.(SD)"

Indeed , Caring is the basis of morality: bots are amoral.
We need to say in effect to potential bots "Put your money where your mouth is". By which I mean that caring is not necessarily efficient but can be and often is self sacrificing.
Bots are never self sacrificing.

seadragon Tue 02-May-23 09:55:04

dogsmother

Without Hinton Seadragon has me down to a tee. More and more flibberty gibbit as time goes by. Perhaps it’s all due to AI !

I've been a flibberty gibbit all my life, dogsmother - my mum used to say to me "Ye're ae in a dwam!" , but I'm paying attention now - for the sake of my children and grandchildren.

MerylStreep Tue 02-May-23 10:30:12

Is it your turn in the barrel, Fanny 😂 Quite right too if it is, Callistemon has had more than her turn in there.

volver3 Tue 02-May-23 10:46:31

Oh dear, I've been deleted.

MerylStreep Tue 02-May-23 10:54:38

NanaDana Tue 02-May-23 11:33:36

Post removed because it repeated a deleted post. GNHQ