Gransnet forums

Technology

Best low energy use kettle?

(44 Posts)
Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 17:02:14

Ours has just conked out after many many years of service. I know it has become a joke because of Johnson, but

does anyone have info or a link to tests, as for WHICH, etc- about the best kettle to buy for low energy ratings. Thanks.

Jane71 Fri 11-Nov-22 17:26:57

I don't about Which recommend kettles, but we try to buy a slim one that can hold just enough water for one cup of tea if needs be. DH likes a cuppa at bedtime, whereas I keep off caffeine after about 6 pm.

Chestnut Fri 11-Nov-22 17:42:28

I don't think kettles are low energy at all really, so maybe you should try a water dispenser as there is a very interesting thread about them already:
www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1317490-Hot-water-dispensers-are-they-worth-it-which-one?msgid=29722628
I'm seriously thinking of buying one but my kettle still works okay.

Oldnproud Fri 11-Nov-22 17:59:26

I'm not a scientist, so expect to be corrected here, but won't it use the same amount of energy to heat X amount of water no matter what kettle you use? I just imagine that a low power kettle will do it more slowly than a high-power one, but with no saving either way.

Oldnproud Fri 11-Nov-22 18:01:02

That is assuming you are using mains electricity, rather t
han an alternative such as solar energy.

V3ra Sat 12-Nov-22 08:51:24

I'd say that the best way to use as little energy to boil a kettle as possible is to make sure you descale it regularly if you're in a hard water area, and only put in as much water as you actually need.

M0nica Sat 12-Nov-22 08:55:49

Solar energy is dependent on how much is being produced, even if the soar panels are on the roof. It would take a long time for solar energy to boil a kettle on a day like today with thick cloud and moving towards the winter solstice.

Abitbarmy Sat 12-Nov-22 09:03:17

I’ve had a look on Which and they have an ‘eco’ Best Buy kettle which is a Russell Hobbs clear glass jug type model. I can send further details if you like?

Sarah74 Sat 12-Nov-22 09:06:28

www.beeco.green/best-eco-kettles/#best-eco-kettle

travelsafar Sat 12-Nov-22 10:00:26

I was told if you have a gas hob buy a whistler kettle, it's cheaper than electric. Can anyone confirm this????

Aldom Sat 12-Nov-22 10:46:36

Yes, I too have read that it's cheaper to boil a kettle on the gas hobb.
No use to me though.

Aldom Sat 12-Nov-22 10:47:43

Take a 'b' off hob please grin

Farzanah Sat 12-Nov-22 11:02:10

Chestnut

I don't think kettles are low energy at all really, so maybe you should try a water dispenser as there is a very interesting thread about them already:
www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1317490-Hot-water-dispensers-are-they-worth-it-which-one?msgid=29722628
I'm seriously thinking of buying one but my kettle still works okay.

I have thought about these systems and have friends who have them. Having explored the costs of purchase, fitting, and ongoing costs I think I would not recover the outlay during my lifetime, even allowing for saving on kettle boiling. If money no object would definitely have one.

Is it cheaper to heat a cup or two of water in the microwave I wonder?

Chestnut Sat 12-Nov-22 12:01:29

I said on the other thread I would love someone with a water dispenser and a smart meter to measure the energy used for:
1/ a kettle
2/ a water dispenser
3/ a microwave
to heat a mug of water in each. That would be very helpful. I know kettles do use a huge amount of energy while they're working.

FarNorth Sat 12-Nov-22 12:10:55

From the link above :

The temperature control feature makes it possible to choose different boiling temperatures. And, its keep warm feature retains the water temperature up to 30-minutes

My previous kettle had some sort of insulation which meant boiling it for a second time, even topped up with cold water, was quicker and therefore fractionally cheaper.
That feature should be more usual, I think.

The option of keeping hot water in a flask is a good one, I think.

FarNorth Sat 12-Nov-22 12:11:46

'different boiling temperatures' of water, tho?

GrannyBear1 Sat 12-Nov-22 12:16:51

I don't know about water dispensers.
I do know that it is possible to heat water in a microwave, past 100 degrees C without the water boiling. Until you take it out of the microwave, when it could boil, spit hot water over your hand or spill boiling water from the cup.

As I live alone, I use a travel kettle which boils one cup in about the same time that a standard size kettle would do. A standard sized kettle has a minimum fill requirement that is usually more than one cup.

I keep the standard kettle for when I do need to boil larger quantities although my travel kettle would hold 2 small cups worth of water, but not 2 mugs worth!

karmalady Sat 12-Nov-22 12:22:02

the most economical kettle would have a low thermal capacity ie be lightweight and small. Anything that keeps water warm ready for use, via electricity, involves wasted heat and energy. and hence becomes lower in efficiency and will cost more to run.

karmalady Sat 12-Nov-22 12:25:35

heat energy in steam is greater per unit mass than in liquid water. It is this heat energy that can do so much damage to the physical body and granybear is perfrctly correct. To boil water in a microwave is exceedingly dangerous

Farzanah Sat 12-Nov-22 13:49:40

I won’t be using the microwave then 😀

Chestnut Sat 12-Nov-22 13:57:11

If you read the thread on water dispensers they instantly pour exactly the correct amount required into the cup. And not having to pour boiling water into flasks or cups is a blessing for anyone with a wobbly hand, who finds that rather dangerous.

Fleurpepper Sat 12-Nov-22 14:01:59

Water dispenser is not an option for me. I am really looking for advice on the best brand/model of low energy kettle- but normal capacity, not one cup. Thanks.

karmalady Sat 12-Nov-22 14:31:47

chestnut, these water dispensers have a small tank below the sink, 2-4 litres, water for instant heat. Wasteful of energy and that sort of system also uses a copper coil to generate the required heat. The energy these boiling taps use is not magic energy. As any scientist knows, like must be compared with like for an accurate comparison. Convenience can not be compared to energy usage, they are different entities and convenience has no energy units

karmalady Sat 12-Nov-22 14:35:27

fleurpepper, something similar to grannybear`s travel kettle that will work on the 240v supply. Plastic and light and not over big. Probably a very cheap kettle from a supermarket, they will not be made from expensive metals. Feel the weight and then decide. The mass is important

NotAGran55 Sat 12-Nov-22 15:03:31

Fleurpepper

Water dispenser is not an option for me. I am really looking for advice on the best brand/model of low energy kettle- but normal capacity, not one cup. Thanks.

www.which.co.uk/reviews/kettles/article/how-to-buy-the-best-electric-kettle-aljNZ2O8dcEz#can-you-buy-an-eco-kettle

You need to be a member to drill down into the details of this report to see the Best Buys etc but unfortunately I have recently cancelled my full subscription so can’t get it for you.

However I do have a Which? Magazine from February this year and the ECO Best Buy then was the Russell Hobbs Stylevia Black kettle - £50.

I hope this helps Fleurpepper.