Gransnet forums

Technology

Altering settings on Gransnet

(28 Posts)
Allsorts Fri 22-Jul-22 07:49:55

Can anyone advise how I can change e mail preferences and contact information etc on this sit. Thank you

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jul-22 07:54:02

And can anyone tell me how the bookmark option works? I’ve never selected it but I’m curious. Thank you.

kittylester Fri 22-Jul-22 08:01:25

urms, I use 'Bookmark' all the time. It takes you to the post that you activate it on. I use it to select the last post on any thread I have read.

Sorry, I can't help with your query allsorts but I sure someone will.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jul-22 08:02:28

Allsorts on thinking about it, perhaps just report your own post, not scam, then put in the message box what you’d like altering and ask for confirmation?

Allsorts Fri 22-Jul-22 08:09:18

Thank you everyone.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jul-22 08:18:19

kitty I’m a bit dim so bear with.
I tried a bookmark on the GM thread - it showed up in the bottom corner. I switched threads for a bit, went back to the GM thread and nothing happened? I just scrolled all the way down as per. What am I doing wrong?
?

monk08 Fri 22-Jul-22 08:36:02

Urms I press bottom corner and it comes up saved and automatically goes back there each time.

JackyB Fri 22-Jul-22 08:41:15

I can usually work out most things but I have no idea what monk08 nor kittylester are talking about. I have often wondered what the option "bookmark" does.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jul-22 08:50:54

No joy monk! I then thought it is because I’ve got a tab open - so I closed it, peeped at something else (you can see how I use my mornings wisely ha!) then selected the one I’d bookmarked. Waited a minute, hoping I’d be redirected to the last post I’d seen & bookmarked. Nada.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jul-22 08:55:35

Hmm. When I go back to a thread am I supposed to press/select anything to get to the bookmarked post?

.... there’s always one of us in every class! ?

monk08 Fri 22-Jul-22 08:57:49

I'm not very tech savvy Urms but found the saved bit by accident. I do find if I go onto another thread then return to I'm on it will take to where I left off if that makes sense, if not just ignore me I'm harmless ?

Pittcity Fri 22-Jul-22 08:58:16

You have to be logged in for bookmark to work. You probably are but I've made that mistake.

Try refreshing the page. You are probably looking at a saved page not one where the bookmark has been activated.

I use bookmark and hide thread all the time.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jul-22 09:04:18

I’m logged on.
I’m not on the ‘view mobile site’ though. Does that make a difference?
Driving me nuts now as scrolling down buggers it up and I get the white page ‘can’t view page’. ❗️

I should go and do something useful, like get my breakfast.

Pittcity Fri 22-Jul-22 09:11:19

Works fine on both mobile and desktop views.

Refresh or turn off and on again is all I can say. It's probably something to do with cookies ? I'm not an expert except on choc chip!!!!

Pittcity Fri 22-Jul-22 09:14:01

I've just noticed that on desktop view you press bottom corner of post once it says "bookmark" and you have to press the word until it says "saved" for it to work.
On mobile view it's a drop down menu from the 3 dots.
Simple? Not!

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jul-22 09:19:25

Ah! Got it Pittcity thank you!
Yes it works ?
I had to do as you just said, press down on the post in the bottom right corner, see the blue icon saying ‘bookmark’ then hold on it until it said ‘saved’.

Yay!

Pittcity Fri 22-Jul-22 09:19:52

Allsorts to answer the original question.
You need to be on the desktop site. There's a tiny link at the bottom of the mobile site if you're on an iPad etc.

Scroll to the bottom pink panel and find "My Gransnet" in the list. All the options you can change are there.
Otherwise email [email protected] and HQ will help you.

shysal Fri 22-Jul-22 09:20:21

I only use the desktop site, and on there bookmark can be activated by clicking on 'customise' on the right hand side of the page number line at the head of any thread. Once your option has been saved the bookmark works if you click on the word at the bottom right of a post. This will always take you back to that particular post next time. I automatically click on it when I stop reading a thread. Hoppe this makes sense

Pittcity Fri 22-Jul-22 09:21:35

Glad to be of help Urms. Now I must get on with real life!!!

JackyB Fri 22-Jul-22 09:25:20

Ooh, I've just bookmarked a post at random and it turned grey! That's not happened before. So now I have to try and figure out how to find it again. That's the bit I've never got the hang of.

JackyB Fri 22-Jul-22 09:56:05

I can't find any way of getting back to a bookmark I've made except by remembering which thread it was on, and that's often the difficult part!

kittylester Fri 22-Jul-22 09:56:06

Sorry, I'm on the mobile. Assu.ed they would be the same.

Jacky , if you go off Gn (or off that thread and refresh) then go to that thread it should take you to the bookmarked post.

kittylester Fri 22-Jul-22 10:00:29

Anyone else spotted that there is the option to see someone's profile on the 3 dots.

When did we have to stop doing profiles - possibly 5 years ago?

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jul-22 10:06:14

Profiles would be interesting kitty for nosy people like wot I am but I wouldn’t want to put mine up. I like the anonymity in a virtual world. I’m hiding in Urmston (pop. 41,000) in plain sight!
?

JackyB Fri 22-Jul-22 10:06:53

That's "new". I wonder how long it will take for them to notice.

And if Allsorts is still here, there is a section "My Gransnet" in the main menu on the front page where you should be able to edit your details.