Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Linen trousers for summer

(44 Posts)
BigBertha1 Wed 20-Mar-24 15:12:05

I would like to order some linen trousers now ready for summer but I would really like some that have some semblance of style and not look like a dish rag 2 minutes after I put them on. Could anyone recommend a brand that does this please I am short and prefer wide legs for summer?

BlueBelle Wed 20-Mar-24 15:14:27

I ve always found linen far to crumply for me so never buy it I think it’s just what it is

J52 Wed 20-Mar-24 15:28:54

I have an assortment of linen trousers gathered over the years as they never go out of fashion.
M&S do a linen blend that might not crumple so much.
I always use spray on starch when I iron linen. I iron it first to flatten and then spray on the starch and iron again.

TwiceAsNice Wed 20-Mar-24 15:31:23

I’ve had several pairs form M&S including as recently as last summer. They wash like a rag ad keep less crumpled than most I think. Mine were wide leg and I got them last year in navy and emerald green

Jaxjacky Wed 20-Mar-24 15:43:05

I’ve also have wide leg from M&S and they iron easily and only really crease at the top of the thighs where you sit down.

Primrose53 Wed 20-Mar-24 16:19:30

I have M and S linen peg trousers. They are a few years old now but wash beautifully and don’t crease at all. Not sure if they still do this style but they suit me.

I have a few pairs in other makes but these are the best.

Silvermite Sat 23-Mar-24 11:07:22

Reiss do what you are looking for, but they come at a price.

Nannipocci1 Sat 23-Mar-24 11:10:49

Poetry an online fashion company. Not cheap but lovely styles and quality

Newgran59 Sat 23-Mar-24 11:30:41

I had some Boden linen trousers for about 15 years and they were fab.

annifrance Sat 23-Mar-24 11:36:15

I have always taken the view that if it looks crumpled then it's the real thing.

I have had a few pairs from M & S which I'm happy with. I have a pair from Artignano that have survived about 17 years and still look good. Not sure if that company still exists.

I dont like a cotton mix, the seams and edges seem to age, rather have crumpled.

Can never have enough white linen trousers. About tomorrow some smart ones from M&S.

Amalegra Sat 23-Mar-24 12:18:39

Linen is certainly cool and is very stylish, so we are told. But I dislike its crumpled appearance even whilst wearing it. I go for linen blend which is less trouble and comes in trouser styles less wide than those that make me look even shorter at 5’3”!

Gin Sat 23-Mar-24 12:28:30

Heavy gauge linen quickly loses the creases and hangs better especially those with wide legs. I have a pair from Coast (I think) that I have had for years.

silverlining48 Sat 23-Mar-24 12:54:30

I wear a lot of linen especially in summer but don’t usually need to iron it. ( if I did I wouldn’t buy linen). Good luck in your search.

Shelflife Sat 23-Mar-24 13:03:22

I avoid linen!!!! I just look like an old woman in crumpled clothes! Whereas young people carry that look very well but its no longer a look for me .

Saggi Sat 23-Mar-24 13:03:47

Linen is SUPPOSED to look crumpled ….that's its appeal…..please don’t tell me that isn’t understood?

Harris27 Sat 23-Mar-24 13:05:38

M&S same here lovely linen pants come out every year.

nipsmum Sat 23-Mar-24 13:09:43

I never liked linen trousers. They always looked like rags on my little legs.
I also don't like having to be constantly ironing them, I don't have room in my life for that.

muckandnettles Sat 23-Mar-24 13:11:03

Every year or so I say I won't buy linen again because I look like Coco the Clown's mad nan, but then I can't resist the way it feels when you put on a baggy pair of linen trousers on a hot day.

Summerfly Sat 23-Mar-24 13:17:38

I wear linen in the summer. I buy most of mine from Poetry or its sister company Wrap. They have quite a good range of different lengths and leg shapes. Never been disappointed with anything I’ve bought from them.

NannyWren Sat 23-Mar-24 14:23:45

I have a pair of white linen trousers from M&S, they aren't too crumply. I only ever put white vinegar in the conditioner drawer.
Fabric conditioner coats the fabric with the fats it contains and so will make it less absorbent. It's obviously the same with towels.
I am 5' 4.5" and avoid wearing wide leg trousers. I hate that a lot of trousers are at half-mast as my mum says. It'd make me feel like a wee Bay City Roller fan in a time warp.
I fancy trying a viscose-linen blend, has anyone here bought any? If so, are they better? I do love wearing viscose as it's also a natural fibre and feels wonderful.

knspol Sat 23-Mar-24 14:35:02

Never choose linen trousers, somehow crumpled linen seems to look good on other people but makes me feel I need to get the iron out - again!

rafichagran Sat 23-Mar-24 14:39:44

Nannipocci1

Poetry an online fashion company. Not cheap but lovely styles and quality

Agree 100%

Alison333 Sat 23-Mar-24 15:02:10

Definitely have a look at M & S linen mix trousers. reasonably priced and don't crease much.

Deedaa Sat 23-Mar-24 15:09:52

I've got several pairs of M&S linen trousers and if they crumple they crumple. A few years ago I bought a pair of linen mix trousers from Sainsbry. They were really good, didn't crumple and were a very flattering cut. Sadly they don't seem to do a similar style now.

Gundy Sat 23-Mar-24 15:24:54

There are several kinds of linen. The lightweight, cheap wrinkley kind - the 100% heavier weave linen that costs more (your better labels) - and now you’ll find linen BLENDS - they may not wrinkle as much and still be washable. These days linens are made washable, for the most part. 👍🏼

When shopping or ordering pay attention to the fabric content! If you’re in the store you can do a wrinkle test - scrunch up a handful of pant in you hand and squeeze. A good quality linen will show “some” slight wrinkling, but that’s okay! If it looks like a wadded up tissue, you won’t be happy.

I love linen in summer, a natural fabric that breathes, looks smart and rich. I have several wide legged pairs that are at least five years old and look new every summer. Timeless!