Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Mother of the groom

(30 Posts)
Foxgloveandroses Fri 15-Mar-24 22:55:06

Hi all, my son is getting married this August. I'm not a fan of clothes shopping. Does anyone have any ideas on where I could buy a dress suitable for the mother of the groom in UK?

V3ra Sat 16-Mar-24 00:01:14

How formal is the wedding?
My son gets married in four weeks time, a civil service in a barn conversion.
My soon-to-be daughter-in-law said they're going for a relaxed vibe, which suits me.
I've had a nice dress from Pretty Kitty and sent her photos of the ones I was considering. (The website popped up when I googled "mother of the groom outfit").
I've liaised with her and her mum regarding colours.
Her mum is considering wearing a hat, as she likes them, I'm not. My hair is too fine and will collapse!
It'll be a long day so you need to be comfortable 😊

Redhead56 Sat 16-Mar-24 00:46:00

Phase Eight both dresses for son and daughters weddings they were perfect and beautiful I still have them. With the passage of time they still fit is another matter I haven’t tried them.

J52 Sat 16-Mar-24 09:37:37

If it’s a formal wedding I’d second Phase Eight or Gina Bacconi,
both available on line if your not near a shop.
Other than that, a friend had a very good experience at John Lewis with a personal shopper.

growstuff Sat 16-Mar-24 09:44:39

I bought my dress for my daughter's wedding from Whistles (from John Lewis). I didn't wear a hat and I already had suitable shoes and handbag. My daughter didn't want me to wear anything too formal and I was really pleased with it.

cornergran Sat 16-Mar-24 10:06:55

We have two sons. Clothes for both weddings came from a local independent shop. I’d checked colours - a limited list with one, ‘anything you like’ with the other.

Not a shop I’d been in before other than to browse but in I went, we chatted about what I’d enjoy wearing and what was expected. Understanding I was more comfortable in trousers several suitable outfits were produced. None that I’d have picked from a hanger! I tried them all, loved most, selected one and could relax. The first wedding required a hat. I’m not a hat person. Directed to someone who hired hats, along I went with the outfit. The ideal hat was produced. Again I’d have never picked it from a stand. Same process without the hat for the second much less formal wedding. I still have both outfits and love them, they’ve been very useful for cruises, probably won’t wear them again now. I was I think very fortunate. If you’ve an independent shop locally why not give them a try, you may be as fortunate.

MissInterpreted Sat 16-Mar-24 10:09:15

I've just bought a Gina Bacconi dress for my daughter's wedding - have a look on Brand Alley, as they often have them much cheaper than the official Gina Bacconi website.

Joseann Sat 16-Mar-24 10:16:51

It depends where you live and what shops are available. I ordered several online, but nothing beat trying them on in the shop and comparing them, (doing the catwalk twirl for votes!)
The shop I would recommend is Fenwicks.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 16-Mar-24 10:42:31

I have been mother of the groom four times, my dresses came from Hobbs (X 2) LK Bennett and a local independent store.

I would start looking with an open mind, try on lots of different styles and eventually you will find the right one.

If you are near a John Lewis they have a variety of brands and you can see what is in season and have a good try on.

Esmay Sat 16-Mar-24 21:33:02

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding .
You haven't said how much you want to spend and what sort of wedding it will be .
If you aren't a fan of clothes shopping - the prices might shock you .
I was mother of the bride and bought a new dress from ebay.
Having not tried it on early enough - I spent the day before frantically altering it !

Top of the range -
Veni infantini -absolutely gorgeous and expensive , but affordable if you buy second hand on ebay .
Otherwise :
Phase Eight
Hobbs
Gina Bacconi
Monsoon - a bit Bohemian , but nice .
M and S - some nice pieces this season .
Vintage looks -
British Retro
Collectif

I wouldn't take a friend unless you relt on her judgement .
I was once persuaded to buy a disastrous dress and never wore it .
I don't like fascinators and prefer hats .
August can be hot .
Think of being comfortable not red faced in tight shapewear not enjoying the wedding breakfast !
Have fun choosing your outfit and have a lovely wedding !

charley68 Sat 16-Mar-24 21:43:43

Agree with all.
I checked with my opposite number what she was wearing - we both get on very well. I did not wear a hat - I don't like them. We all had a great time.

Foxgloveandroses Sat 16-Mar-24 23:59:56

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. All your responses are so helpful X

Sara1954 Sun 17-Mar-24 09:51:18

My daughter is getting married in the summer, and I don’t know where to begin.
When the last one got married I had something made because I couldn’t find what I wanted, but it was insanely expensive, and never worn again.
I have browsed so many sights and I’m nowhere near finding what I’m searching for.
So good luck.

Richwoman Thu 21-Mar-24 06:57:53

You can check promboutiqueonline.com, they have dresses and pantsuits for mothers of the brides, grooms online

Doodledog Thu 21-Mar-24 07:24:50

Book a John Lewis personal shopper. I did that when my son married and I was delighted with the results. You set the budget, and there is no pressure to go over it. They know the stock and scurry back and forth getting different sizes and similar styles from different brands. They even get a bra fitter if you need one. You can take a friend or your husband if you want another opinion. Oh, and it’s free grin.

Sara1954 Thu 21-Mar-24 07:51:11

Doodledog
That actually sounds like a good idea.
I think after all that I would feel obliged to buy something though.

NotSpaghetti Thu 21-Mar-24 07:54:59

If you are trying clothes on I'd recommend getting underwear sorted first.

Make sure it fits perfectly and don't try clothes on with a different bra if you want your clothes to sit correctly on the day. Even a very inexpensive outfit will look 10 times better with good underwear. I spent many years in my family's mother-of-the-bride and eveningwear shop... Definitely do underwear first!

Regarding brands, I'm not a dressing-up person and have gone very off-piste with one "casual" daughter wearing capri pants, lovely "easy" top and a beautiful open long jacket... for my youngest son's wedding I had a dress made (a copy of a lagenlook type one I loved) in a stunning linen fabric but for two others I wore Ann Balon as super-stretchy, comfy and still smart.

Lots of Ann Balon are available second hand too - and as they are stretchy and they skim the body an absolutely perfect fit is not so critical. Also they seem not to crease so can be easily transported.

NotSpaghetti Thu 21-Mar-24 07:56:41

Sara1954

Doodledog
That actually sounds like a good idea.
I think after all that I would feel obliged to buy something though.

You can ask them to make a note of your favourites and go away to think about it.

My husband did this 2 years ago and nobody batted an eyelid!

Imarocker Thu 21-Mar-24 08:20:10

I recommend looking at Glitz online. They have loads of lovely dresses ideal for a summer wedding.

pascal30 Thu 21-Mar-24 08:59:12

Esmay

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding .
You haven't said how much you want to spend and what sort of wedding it will be .
If you aren't a fan of clothes shopping - the prices might shock you .
I was mother of the bride and bought a new dress from ebay.
Having not tried it on early enough - I spent the day before frantically altering it !

Top of the range -
Veni infantini -absolutely gorgeous and expensive , but affordable if you buy second hand on ebay .
Otherwise :
Phase Eight
Hobbs
Gina Bacconi
Monsoon - a bit Bohemian , but nice .
M and S - some nice pieces this season .
Vintage looks -
British Retro
Collectif

I wouldn't take a friend unless you relt on her judgement .
I was once persuaded to buy a disastrous dress and never wore it .
I don't like fascinators and prefer hats .
August can be hot .
Think of being comfortable not red faced in tight shapewear not enjoying the wedding breakfast !
Have fun choosing your outfit and have a lovely wedding !

definitely Veni Infantino ,,, so supremely stylishifyou have the money

glammagran Thu 21-Mar-24 09:09:41

My DD is getting married in September and I’ve already bought my dress from Alie Street, a new kid on the block. The dresses are made in the U.K.

Shoes however, are another matter - I’ve already returned 2 pairs to different retailers as I have wide feet. Waiting for another company to get stock in.

Welshy Fri 12-Apr-24 20:47:49

I know a few women, mother of the bride/groom that have bought outfits from Roman.

Hellogirl1 Fri 12-Apr-24 20:53:01

If the wedding isn`t too formal, Yours have some lovely dresses.

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 12-Apr-24 21:01:03

A vote for Bombshell dresses.

grannydarkhair Fri 12-Apr-24 21:20:15

If you’re not adverse to wearing “previously loved” clothes, there’s a Facebook group called Mother of the Bride/Groom items for sale. Have a lovely day whatever you decide to wear.