Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

I’ve tried the rest, but these are the best

(35 Posts)
Casdon Fri 08-Mar-24 18:43:22

I’ve been thinking about what I buy again and again because there is still nothing better to touch it. The standouts for me are Elnett hairspray, which I’ve kept going back to since I was about 15, and Sudocrem, which cures all skin related ills.

Do you have perfect products too, we could all benefit from trying them?

crazyH Fri 08-Mar-24 18:46:40

Rimmel’s Blusher

Abitbarmy Fri 08-Mar-24 18:57:53

Simple eye make-up remover.

AskAlice Fri 08-Mar-24 19:00:00

Clinique liquid facial wash. I've been using it since it was launched (I think about 2005) and have occasionally tried others but nothing beats it for me.

Rimmel Hide the Blemish for the odd facial blotch. It used to be called Hide and Heal, if I remember rightly, and I have been using it since I was a teenager.

Oh, and Vicks chest rub for colds! Not really stylish or beautiful but very effective.

crazyH Fri 08-Mar-24 19:00:58

Sorry, meant to say Rimmel’s Bronzer

Millie22 Fri 08-Mar-24 19:02:56

Nivea soft cream.

Been using it for years.

CanadianGran Fri 08-Mar-24 19:04:49

Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey. It's the nicest tinted lip balm, and I've tried quite a few.

Also L'Oreal Telescopic Mascara. Basic but has no faults. Why buy expensive when this one does the trick?

Treebee Fri 08-Mar-24 19:13:20

Max Factor 2000 calorie mascara. It does the job, doesn’t clog or dry out like pricier brands I’ve tried.

V3ra Fri 08-Mar-24 19:25:07

Sudocrem, which cures all skin related ills.

Our vet says she's a great believer in Sudocrem for all sorts of skin related ills for animals as well 😁

pascal30 Fri 08-Mar-24 19:32:51

nivea soft cream,
Faith in Nature lavender and geranium body lotion and shampoo

Kate1949 Fri 08-Mar-24 20:46:21

Oil of Ulay (now Olay) original beauty fluid. I have been using it for as many years as I can remember. I am nearly 75 and have virtually no wrinkles.

Celieanne86 Fri 08-Mar-24 21:03:52

Kate1949

Oil of Ulay (now Olay) original beauty fluid. I have been using it for as many years as I can remember. I am nearly 75 and have virtually no wrinkles.

I totally agree with Kate2949. I started using Olay beauty fluid when I was was 25 and it cost 7/6d (78p) and that’s along time ago. I’ve graduated over the years and still use Olay every day now in a cream and it smells lovely. I will admit I have some wrinkles but I do get commented on how I look much younger than my age which is 86. Possibly good genes has a lot to do with it but I still swear it’s thanks to Olay.

Marydoll Fri 08-Mar-24 21:27:26

V3ra

^Sudocrem, which cures all skin related ills.^

Our vet says she's a great believer in Sudocrem for all sorts of skin related ills for animals as well 😁

I've even using it since it first came out. My son was allergic to just about every baby cream, then I discovered Sudocrem.

Elnett for me too.

HowVeryDareYou2 Fri 08-Mar-24 21:34:47

Sudocrem - it's great stuff, and I love the smell.

Nivea cream, for my hands and feet
TCP, for sore throats, dabbing on abrasions. I love the smell of that, too.

Sago Fri 08-Mar-24 21:34:53

Bare Minerals complexion rescue, Nivea blue, fairy liquid, cashmere jumpers.

Jaxjacky Fri 08-Mar-24 21:48:42

Vaseline, from chapped lips to sticking zips.

MayBee70 Fri 08-Mar-24 21:54:12

Abitbarmy

Simple eye make-up remover.

I used to use their cream eye make up remover but they no longer make it. The liquid one makes my eyes sore.

Redhead56 Fri 08-Mar-24 21:55:13

Maybelline Great Lash mascara used it for years only now if I go out. Sudocrem and Vaseline never without these I loved Ponds Cold Cream but haven’t seen it for years.

LovesBach Fri 08-Mar-24 21:57:00

Nivea soft for me too - if it were discontinued I would be bereft, it's a wonderful non greasy body and face moisturiser.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Mar-24 22:23:40

I used the boots "perfect skin" or something like that, religiously at one time. (It was a range of creams and serums)
I had a lot of people telling me how well I looked, even my mum!!

Then I stopped.

Chestnut Fri 08-Mar-24 23:53:55

Kate1949

I'm afraid Oil of Ulay made my face burn and turn bright red many years ago. So did Johnson's Baby Lotion. Both were pink at the time, so I'm assuming it was the 'pink' ingredient I was allergic to. They are both white now, so maybe they realised it was not a good idea.

Kate1949 Fri 08-Mar-24 23:59:15

Oh no Chestnut that's not good. I've had products that have done that to me too.

Chestnut Sat 09-Mar-24 00:03:31

LovesBach

Nivea soft for me too - if it were discontinued I would be bereft, it's a wonderful non greasy body and face moisturiser.

If they ever do then try this which is my favourite. Very soft, light and smooth texture, I use it on face and body. And only £3.50 at the moment which can't be bad, so think I'll stock up.

OldFrill Sat 09-Mar-24 00:06:33

Oil of Ulay (definitely) and Johnson's baby lotion (probably) contained lanolin which would cause burning/redness/rash if you, like me, are allergic to it. It's generally been replaced now with other ingredients.

sharon103 Sat 09-Mar-24 00:36:58

I've used the blue pot Nivea for years.