Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Covering wrinkled arms

(34 Posts)
Wilma65 Thu 07-Mar-24 11:48:10

Due to health problems I’ve lost a lot of weight and hate how my body looks now. Lots of crepey wrinkled skin. How do I cover my arms without getting too hot in the summer. Looking for tips now so that I can buy a new wardrobe 🙂

Theexwife Thu 07-Mar-24 11:54:45

I wear a very lightweight shirt over a t shirt, I also have light open weave cardigans.

Stansgran Thu 07-Mar-24 11:58:54

I have a collection of camisole tops and wear long sleeved fine cotton shirts . I burn very easily so I’ve always covered up.

Squiffy Thu 07-Mar-24 12:52:43

I have a selection of colours of these ‘cobweb’ shrugs. They’re brilliant, so lightweight and scrunch up to nothing if you want to pop one in your handbag. Mine were from eBay.

Wilma65 Thu 07-Mar-24 15:43:53

Thanks everyone. That shrug looks like a good idea. I found it on eBay. Thanks 🙂🙂

MiniMoon Thu 07-Mar-24 15:47:02

I have a couple of very lightweight floaty duster cardigans which are cool to wear. Similar to the ones Sally Lindsay wears on Madame Blanc mysteries, but not as long.

shysal Thu 07-Mar-24 16:40:20

I try to buy tops with sleeves to just above the elbow. If I can't find one I sometimes resort to buying a lightweight long sleeved one and shortening them to the required length. Good luck!

MayBee70 Thu 07-Mar-24 16:47:13

I buy tunics that are made of cotton so I don’t get too hot. Usually with 3/4 length sleeves.

NanKate Thu 07-Mar-24 17:26:52

I put Aveeno Cream on my arms and legs and they definitely improve the look of my skin.

Esmay Thu 07-Mar-24 18:38:08

Wilma - don't cover up just yet .
I agree with NanKate Aveeno is great in fact any cream or oil is going to help post bath or shower .
And if you don't have weights use cans to tone those arms .
Have a look on youtube .

Primrose53 Thu 07-Mar-24 20:18:00

Google Arm Shapers. Several years ago I treated my lovely friend to these and she loves them. Hers were patterned.
She would never bare her arms but had some lovely sleeveless dresses. She always wore a pashmina or shawl.

Probably not allowed to do a link but basically they consist of a pair of sleeves with a strip that goes across your back between them. So you wear them under your lovely sleeveless dresses and tops.

Primrose53 Thu 07-Mar-24 20:27:01

Also google Underdress Sleeves.

Jimjam1 Thu 07-Mar-24 21:53:13

Ladies who are self conscious their arms I find this time of the year is the best time to buy lightweight clothes ready for the summer. Tops in the shops at the moment have got three quarter sleeves. Starting in April shops stock short sleeve tops. I know this because I am very self conscious of my upper arms. I love the clothes Joanne Lumley wears on her travels abroad. Lovely tops and trousers.

Jimjam1 Thu 07-Mar-24 21:56:31

Sorry don’t know what happened to my message as it’s ended up at the start of this post.

Redhead56 Thu 07-Mar-24 22:53:19

I discovered the cobweb shrugs on Amazon and bought about six of them in different colours. They are light and airy perfect to wear over dresses in the summer.

Nannynoodles Thu 07-Mar-24 23:13:49

I buy cotton jersey ( t-shirt) type dresses with loose above elbow sleeves - phase eight usually do them or even M&S.
To be honest I find if it’s hot these can be cooler than having bare arms as it keeps the sun off on a hot day.

silverlining48 Fri 08-Mar-24 08:05:19

It’s sad we can be embarrassed by saggy arms etc. Wear something to cover if you really want to but frankly there is no need. I hope you are recovered Wilma and hope you enjoy shopping for a new summer wardrobe. .

M0nica Fri 08-Mar-24 12:24:34

Why worry about it at all.

DD severely damaged her right arm in a toad accident 11 years ago. She has a scar on her visible forearm that runs from wrist to elbow and is 6 inches wide, plus further scars on the back of her hand.

Initially she tried to hide the scar, but she is a swimmer, preferably outside all year round, and she does not wear a wet suit. When she first got back to swimming she felt very visible, but gradually decided not to worry about it.

Now, she wears what she wants whenever she wants and is completely unfazed if people see the full extent of the scarring on her arrm. Some times people do ask what happened and she tells them, but otherwise she wears short sleeves, strappy tops, and generally nobody takes any notice.

So Wilma65 wear what you want and forget about your baggy skin, the only person bothered by it is you.

greenlady102 Fri 08-Mar-24 12:28:07

silverlining48

It’s sad we can be embarrassed by saggy arms etc. Wear something to cover if you really want to but frankly there is no need. I hope you are recovered Wilma and hope you enjoy shopping for a new summer wardrobe. .

This.

Primrose53 Fri 08-Mar-24 12:33:14

M0nica hope the toad is OK.😉.

Primrose53 Fri 08-Mar-24 12:40:12

It’s all very well saying it doesn’t matter what your arms look like but if they matter to you then it does!

My friend is the loveliest, fun person with great dress sense, looks younger than her years and is really confident in every area of her life except her arms. The only time they are bare is when she swims a couple of times a week and she chooses the quietest time when the pool is almost empty.

She wears shawls, pashminas, floaty tops, anything to hide her arms.

M0nica Sat 09-Mar-24 12:54:54

Usually the more you try and hide something the more it attracts attention.

Its like all those older women swathed in scarfs, just draws attention to their necks.

Alison333 Sun 10-Mar-24 11:20:06

Exactly the same thing happened to me - lost weight and suddenly I have wrinkly crepey upper arms!

'Cotton Traders' have half sleeve tee shirts that might help.

We shouldn't really care about such things but it's hard not to!

Stillness Sun 10-Mar-24 11:29:59

If it’s important to you, linen shirts worm loosely over a vest style top, or a top made of thin see through fabric would look lovely,

Purplepixie Sun 10-Mar-24 11:34:22

Same here. Lots of hangy skin and creapy arms -more like creepy! I have been putting E45 on them. I have a few of those lovely cobwebby shawls to try and cover them up. There are times when I just cannot be bothered and I let it all hang out. Not pretty.