Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Beige with silver hair

(27 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Sun 03-Mar-24 11:47:22

Fascinating how some colours can look very drab with grey silver hair but as soon as you add a bright colour scarf it makes a world of difference as does brighter lipstick really lifts your complexion. I’m very new to this grey silver look having gone from very dark brown to natural colour and must admit I love being lighter and enjoying trying all different colours esp the jewelled colours

winterwhite Sun 03-Mar-24 12:30:15

Where does beige come in, OP? I never, ever, wear anything beige, and never did even before my hair was white.

Mel1967 Sun 03-Mar-24 12:33:23

I’ve been grey for a long time.
And wear whatever I feel good or look good in.
Any colour goes with grey

keepcalmandcavachon Sun 03-Mar-24 14:21:25

This is why I like a scarf heavenLeigh, I've always worn grungy shades but now the greys are sprinkling in I feel the need for a pop of citrine, peacock or even fuchsia.
My daughter noticed my grey highlights and told me that I now look intelligentgrin

pascal30 Sun 03-Mar-24 14:39:05

I think probably that the only colours that don't go particularly well with grey/silver are pastel colours and beige. But what I call greige does look good IMO.. any pale/dark greige, grey, white, black with a pop of colour looks good on me.. I personally don't wear blue but that can look lovely too.

HelterSkelter1 Sun 03-Mar-24 14:51:36

Yes yes fuschia teal emerald blue/red cobalt charcoal indigo greek blue mauve all the jewel colours go well with silver hair. Tan and khaki olive. Lovely

No no beige and pastels unless you want to disappear.

HeavenLeigh Sun 03-Mar-24 16:04:43

Winterwhite I love all colours. Probably depends on your skin tone although I’m fair skinned I have a yellow undertone I have several neutral colours in my wardrobes and loads of what I would call bold colours oranges reds etc
And I love to wear costume jewellery too, try anything once that’s my motto in life

Esmay Sun 03-Mar-24 16:46:04

I think that HeavenLeigh utilises this concept :
Looking good in various colours will depend on your skin tone being either yellow or blue based .
This was made popular by those Colour Me Beautiful sessions .
I think that they still have them .
Failing this , ask someone who has done an art course /degree and /or paints portraits .
So you can wear any colour - it just depends on the base .

I think that silver hair
can look incredible .

I love beige , but on the wrong skin tone it can make you look washed out .

I'm a big fan of costume jewellery and sometimes -scarves .

I used to be a redhead and still am with the help of Nutrisse .
This morning , a little girl told me that she liked my hair, but how do I get it to be that colour !

My skin has a warm base - so I think of yellow based colours with gold toned jewellery .
If I allowed my hair to go grey - the same colour scheme would look okay .

Occasionally , I'll find something on sale which I can't resist and it's blue based , but I'll still buy it and make a colour break at the neckline with jewellery/scarf .
I know if an outfit looks really unflattering if someone tells me that I look tired or unwell .

Hilarybee Tue 05-Mar-24 11:39:53

I wear what ever colour I like. I’m grey and wear pastel colours especially pastel blue because I like it

Amalegra Tue 05-Mar-24 11:48:31

My mother had silvery hair and often wore a warm beige which looked lovely on her. She always wore nice make up and a bright coral based lipstick which helped to lift her overall look. She would never wear grey as she felt it made her look drab. I love all colours but still dye my hair reddish brown, as near to my original chestnut as I can get! When I do decide to embrace the grey I hope to continue wearing many colours, including beige!

Dinahmo Tue 05-Mar-24 11:53:56

I learned many years ago that it is the skin colour that matters. Being a redhead I wore autumnal colours but they didn't really suit me. After a Colour Me Beautiful consultation I learned which colours did suit. Ever since then I wear scarves close to my face in colours that brighten me up, even if I'm wearing black. My colour palette back then was spring - cream, mint green, apricot and peach and so on.

You could try it yourselves with a group of friends so long as you have a wide selection of scarves between you. No make up. The effect of different colours is immediately apparent to those watching; a tad more difficult if looking at yourself.

The desired result ifs for people to say - "you look nice today" rather than "I like your outfit"

Eskay10 Tue 05-Mar-24 12:05:18

Dinahmo, you took the words from me. I also had my colours done years ago when I was a freckly redhead. It’s not necessarily the colour of your hair, but your eyes and skin tone which make the difference. I feel dreadful in dark grungy colours, and always avoid black and was told never to wear navy blue. I have stuck to this and it makes shopping easier. I need something to lift me not bury me. I was told to look for bright and warm in virtually any colour.

Juicylucy Tue 05-Mar-24 12:11:09

Oh it sounds lovely I’m definitely a colour type of person love bright colours.

annifrance Tue 05-Mar-24 12:18:30

Never, ever beige. It's a dreadful non colour.

I only know one person in my vast number of acquaintances that can look gorgeous in beige. It should be banned.

Truddles Tue 05-Mar-24 12:45:43

I have had salt and pepper/silver hair for just over three years, and I wear it quite long and styled. I love it! I make sure my eyebrows are softly touched up (with dark brown) so that my face doesn’t disappear, and I wear black mascara and bright coral lipstick. Clothes wise, I wear any colour, but I love lilac, baby blue and black.

JakeysGranny Tue 05-Mar-24 12:51:56

I’m relatively new to the grey brigade too having stopped dyeing in lockdown (was very dark brown). I’ve always worn bright/jewel shades and never liked pastels - but I know what you mean about beige - the amount of pensioners I see in the supermarket etc who wear completely beige outfits (men and women!).

Fae1 Tue 05-Mar-24 13:19:58

Have been grey for years - love blue and pastel shades. Wear them all the time and I definitely do NOT 'disappear' !

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Mar-24 13:26:19

I have grey hair and mostly wear black and navy. Pastel colours look awful on me and I don’t like bright colours on my top half - fine for jeans.

Dinahmo Tue 05-Mar-24 13:36:38

On the subject of hair colour one friend used to dye her hair to her dark original colour but one day realised it made her look older and didn't suit. She went a warm, honey coloured blonde. She's 80 now and still has that pretty colour which suits her very well.

Daisydaisydaisy Tue 05-Mar-24 13:45:10

Hi If you go on to Trinny London site put in your Colourings it will advise on Makeup and clothes colours 🙂

2oaktrees Tue 05-Mar-24 14:41:49

There are several grey groups on Facebook where tips and support are given

Suzieque66 Tue 05-Mar-24 15:34:49

I call it Cream not Beige ...

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Mar-24 16:15:59

Er - they are totally different colours.

Gundy Tue 05-Mar-24 16:49:24

Lots of redheads on here today - me too, a natural red, with boosting from Clairol when I worked for them many years ago!

I stopped coloring my hair about 10 yrs ago and have turned out to be almost white (at this age) with a hint of goldish shimmer. It goes with my skin which is a warm beige.

I’ve been a lifelong (adult) wearer of black clothes (professionally and personally) with a touch of color here and there. It looks really good with my new look, but I’ve taken new interest in navy- it’s softer.

Going gray DOES CHANGE your look when it comes to clothes- and you must consider your skin tone - colors I never wore before now look fantastic - (certain) beiges and grays, blues, golden and bronze shades, along with peach and corals. A few greens.

Baby pastels, reds, mauve/pinks/purples… forget it!! Total white is a no-go, unless under black.

spabbygirl Tue 05-Mar-24 20:57:24

I went to France last autumn & loads of people had beautiful grey hair there so I'm growing mine out after years of artificial blonde colour. You also see more women our age on French tv its only a few inches out now and its lovely!!! I'm going to grow it and have long silver plait