Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Slippers

(91 Posts)
srn63 Thu 22-Feb-24 10:52:07

I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a decent pair of slippers that are not too "grannyish"! I would like some that are robust because I do pop outside in them and have been known to do a bit of gardening in them and I want them to stay on well i.e. not mules because I tend to trip in them. Hopefully some that do not get too big over time either.

foxie48 Thu 22-Feb-24 11:02:16

I hate slippers, I think they can be quite dangerous to people as we age, much better to have a comfortable pair of well fitting light weight shoes. I've got a pair of Hotter shoes that I wear in the house, they are easy to slip on and off and robust enough to go out into the garden.

YorkLady Thu 22-Feb-24 11:03:11

I use Skechers GoWalk canvas slip on trainers. Robust, good sole and machine washable. Look around and you can usually find them for £30 and they really last!

petra Thu 22-Feb-24 11:11:08

I have these. They’re not grannyish, my 15 year old granddaughter saw them so she has a pair as well

Purplepixie Thu 22-Feb-24 11:13:56

I love my Totes slippers but they are not robust enough for the garden. Maybe get some comfy Hotters that you can wear for both the house and the garden.

Purplepixie Thu 22-Feb-24 11:15:43

www.amazon.co.uk/Isotoner-Womens-Ladies-Ballet-Slippers/dp/B009Z7D5D8/ref=sr_1_7?crid=26OS0VTK6JS1H&keywords=totes+slippers+women&sprefix=Totes+slipper%2Caps%2C174&dib_tag=se&tag=gransnetforum-21&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.9O31iu2CG65m0ZeLFiPmr1RwbaigNGA7qYE30rgee5BxtIlAk_oqhx6a85st7rSMCMdsKWzuaFUf3-fD4huHrx2lfLA8haTnVl9Tj2eD9SskZ_FCzT6U-HsVU1FtXTtBT06PwXMJLUfNWHy8GXhBZ8OSaPG0mH72Xn7AUVupZkzqAH2GPEzdbgmpHEx_uEaNdeqBTz0VoLX39EbIRcqmabahs_JmAcoNHsQCrGDcFDG3beUlI_fSfqj2-pEtHTbofgakF2UpnIA1wlbEO70ed6c6KjvQvaWqH0Zp9sDLBjM.wpCG33h6yQyCxNDILPToRZ2wYIa1TzilxYIeBI02fb0&qid=1708600457&sr=8-7
I have had these before and they are so comfy and don’t look grannyish.

GrannyIvy Thu 22-Feb-24 11:17:09

I keep a pair of crocs on back door mat for popping out in garden and I like the Next ballet type of slipper for indoors. They have a soft sole and wash well and inexpensive and last a long time! However I am normally bare feet in the house in summer months as feet get too hot!!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 22-Feb-24 11:17:09

I agree foxie, dangerous things. I wonder how many falls are caused by them?

Ashcombe Thu 22-Feb-24 11:20:13

I have crocs for indoor wear (or, I should say Lidl's version of the product!) and occasionally pop outside in them. I find them comfortable and a good support for ageing joints. The fleece lining makes them cosy, too.

Crocs are worn by staff in hospitals in France and here and by my dental practice staff. That's some kind of endorsement.

Ashcombe Thu 22-Feb-24 11:23:25

www.lidl.co.uk/p/esmara-ladies-lined-clogs/p10008151

Kamiso Thu 22-Feb-24 11:25:10

I have somehow acquired three pairs of slippers. One pair of sheepskin (ish) close toed mules, a pair of grey light ones that are just slipped on and a very sensible pair of old style slippers with Velcro fastener which are the safest.

I saw an item once that said the main cause of accidents in the over 65s was loose rugs that are a trip hazard and badly fitted slippers. I have put the rubber anti slip stuff under the hall rug and must try to remember to do up the Velcro in future.

Dempie55 Thu 22-Feb-24 11:37:14

I don't know how to do links, but if you go on Amazon and search for Everfoam slippers, they have quite a good range. I always buy men's slippers, as I have feet like flippers and I notice that they always put a thicker sole on the men's ones, presumably so the gentlemen can go out with the bins! Currently wearing the mocassin style, cost around £17 and very warm and comfy, sturdy enough to pop out to the bird feeder.

Nannan2 Thu 22-Feb-24 11:37:55

I have a pair of percy pig slippers from M&S and they are robust with a thick rubber sole and they can be worn out in garden when i go to bins or washing line etc..I just wipe feet on door mat when i come in- or give a clean with a dettol wipe.But they are robust enough to put on a 20 degree wash (pop in with other stuff) then put upside down on radiator to dry an hour -And as they're grey with a little percy pig face on front they're not 'grannyish' at all.They were a present.About £17 a pr.

grannyactivist Thu 22-Feb-24 11:39:10

I have a pair (well 3 identical pairs really) of black lacy pumps that cost about a tenner each and have good soles. The first pair I bought were so perfect for indoor/outdoor wear that I returned to the shop and bought a couple of extras in case they get discontinued. They’re lightweight but sturdy enough to hang the washing out or pop to the nearby shop.

LucyAnna Thu 22-Feb-24 11:58:01

I have two pairs of these, from Moshulu - I’m a devil for nipping out in the garden in them!, but they wash well. I have had them for a few years / they last well.

www.moshulu.co.uk/mini-spot-ballerina-slippers-p87#attribute%5B1%5D=84

MissAdventure Thu 22-Feb-24 11:59:40

Slippers are one of my favourite things, and I got 2 pairs for christmas.
One pair were Primark, which have been in the wash, and come out the other side none the worse.

The others are sainsbury ones, with arch support.

Both have a proper sole, too. smile
I had some expensive ones, but they made my feet sweat and itch!

MissInterpreted Thu 22-Feb-24 12:03:53

Mine are slippers, but more like a type of Ugg boot style with a proper sole, so they're definitely not dangerous in any way.

Astitchintime Thu 22-Feb-24 12:07:41

LucyAnna

I have two pairs of these, from Moshulu - I’m a devil for nipping out in the garden in them!, but they wash well. I have had them for a few years / they last well.

www.moshulu.co.uk/mini-spot-ballerina-slippers-p87#attribute%5B1%5D=84

Those look lovely Lucy but I would struggle to keep them on and end up clawing my toes to stop me from walking out of them.
I use a pair of Skechers for slippers, they have rubber soles so they are safe on our stairs and wash really well.

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 22-Feb-24 12:55:32

Me too for the lightweight trainers (also able to kid myself that housework is a sporty past-time). So easy to loose footing especially when carrying things upstairs or on step ladders. Sketchers are ace as Yorklady suggestssmile

HelterSkelter1 Thu 22-Feb-24 13:04:37

Crocs by the back door for outside. Lace up Hotter shoes for indoors. Safe and supportive.

And then for upstairs only, a fab pair of french artisan wool slippers from Bordeaux which were a present from a french friend to my daughter, but lucky for me too small for her. They are all felted wool and so warm. Mules and have a felted wool sole. They were based on the design used by staff in French chateaux so they could move about silently. I make not a squeak.

Granmarderby10 Thu 22-Feb-24 13:47:38

Ashcombe agree about croc type shoes, they are ugly but SO very comfortable and surprisingly warm although they don’t look it plus they are very resilient.
The fur lined (and removable) ones are a bonus. They seem to massage my feet as soon as they’re on and great on hot days and on beaches.
Slider style ones in loads of designs too. You could forget you’re wearing em’

Ps I wash mine under the shower when they get manky! Bit of shower gel job done.

merlotgran Thu 22-Feb-24 13:51:13

I have large feet (size 8) so always buy loafer style men’s slippers in a size 9.

They’re comfortable, smart and robust enough for nipping out into the garden. They’re also cheap as chips from Asda so I keep a pair at DD’s for my frequent visits.

sodapop Thu 22-Feb-24 13:53:55

I wear my Birkenstock toe post sandals all year round. My feet get too hot in slippers.

seadragon Thu 22-Feb-24 14:02:02

DH bought me a pair of these - maroon - felt bootees (size 8!) for Christmas 2019: www.husandhem.co.uk/37-glerups-slippers?p=2 They are still going strong, constantly warm and with firmly attached leather soles for quick trips outside....Have a beautiful pair of gorgeous purple velvet Moshulu bootees with leopard cuffs 'for best' but much as I love them they seem less robust.... Time will tell...

DamaskRose Thu 22-Feb-24 14:13:12

With “difficult” feet I always wear Birkenstocks.