Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What do I do with these products?

(31 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 15-Feb-24 14:20:57

Iā€™m 70 and have given my skin little to no attention over the years. Friends and family have obviously noticed this because I now have an impressive array of skin products Iā€™ve been gifted, but I donā€™t know what to do with half of them.

So my question is this, in what order do I use these things? (See photo.) I also have an exfoliating face wash, but I do know that has to be used first. I just donā€™t know when/how to use retinol for eyes, where does the Revitalift filler go? I also have a bottle of face oil - huh? What do I do with that? Does the Advanced Night Repair go under or over the moisturiser? Same with the retinol eye cream, under or over? With night repair or not?

Would someone who has a day and night regime let me in on how they use their products please? šŸ™šŸ»

crazyH Thu 15-Feb-24 14:38:36

Sorry grannyactivist - I have no regime at all, though I do use a prescription moisturiser on my face, hands and legs every morning and evening. I mainly cleanse my face with baby wipes. If itā€™s good enough for babiesā€™ tender bottoms, itā€™s good enough for my face. Iā€™ve been told I look good for my age (late 70s). I have allergies, so I have to be careful what I use. Not much help am I ?

M0nica Thu 15-Feb-24 14:39:16

personally, i would donate all the unopened ones to a worthy cause and throw the rest away.

I manage with lots of moisteriser massaged into my face in the morning and a touch of night cream in the evening , any brand will do for both,

I am 80 and was grilled at a museum last week as to whether I was really over 65. Personally I think the elderly bloke behind the ticket machine was just wearing the wrong specs.

Poodlemom Thu 15-Feb-24 14:40:59

I think the general rule of thumb is to use anything of a more liquid nature underneath any creamy products. You seem to have quite a mix of brands there so maybe go onto their various websites for instructions how to use. Also, if you haven't used skincare for a while, a mix of brands might possibly cause breakouts/reactions - and you won't always know what's causing it if you're mixing brands.

Grandmabatty Thu 15-Feb-24 15:09:02

My local rotary club take unused cosmetics for homeless women. Maybe yours do too?

Urmstongran Thu 15-Feb-24 15:16:30

Keep the tiny bottle at the front! The EstĆ©e Lauder night serum. Itā€™s costs about Ā£50! Use that. Put it on early evening (dab around the crowā€™s feet area) so it has chance to sink into your skin. Apply too late at night and youā€™ll just rub it off on your pillow!

Parsley3 Thu 15-Feb-24 15:16:43

I slap on the Revitalift night cream after I have washed my face in the evening. I don't know if it makes any difference. However, I have been using No 7 Pure Retinol handcream at bedtime and I must say that my old lady hands are looking much better.

J52 Thu 15-Feb-24 15:40:01

Good skin is mostly down to genes, not smoking and keeping out of the sun.
Other than that, cleaning gently to remove make up and moisturising at night and in the morning will help with skin texture, especially in winter when the skin becomes dry.
Most moisturisers have the same ingredients, it a matter of finding one that suits your face and includes sun screen. The rest is up to you regarding price, perfume and texture.
I buy a product that is not cheap, but I like the smell and texture, also at my age I feel I can spoil myself.

grannyactivist Thu 15-Feb-24 15:52:47

Urms I also have a couple of regular size bottles of the Night Serum - I just didnā€™t know if it went on under or over the moisturiser. Iā€™ll put some on after dinner time.

I really have to use these things as I have been known to donate such things in the past and family and friends have wised up. These things were given with the rider that Iā€™m not to give them away. People are very kind and want me to ā€˜pamperā€™ myself, but itā€™s hard to start when I simply donā€™t know how to use the stuff.

Iā€™m a Googler in chief, but it never occurred to me to look it up on the productā€™s websites - I shall do that. Also the point about mixing brands is a good one Poodlemon.

BlueBelle Thu 15-Feb-24 16:21:50

I use nothing but water and soap, never have, never will, both mum and dad (especially Dad had lovely clear skin) I havenā€™t had a spot since I was a teenager and havenā€™t smoked since I was in my late 20 s I m sure that helps

win Thu 15-Feb-24 16:59:28

Gosh what lovely skincare products you have there, they are worth fortune and all just lovely.
The night repair and eye cream can go together, no need for moisturiser with that, but if you would like a bit, it goes on top. The toner goes after you have cleansed. your face, then the day cream on top. of. that. You can use the serum in the day time too but under the moisturiser. When you run out of the oil, you can then use the night cream. You only need a tiny drop of them all, don't overdo it as it will clog your pores. The toner closes your pores, if that feels too tight on your skin, you can just use a clean warm wet flannel instead. Enjoy experimenting with these lovely gifts.

win Thu 15-Feb-24 17:02:24

By the way I have never found that mixing brands is a problem, if you get problems, then it is time to eliminate and use one at the time, but until then you will be fine mixing. I love experimenting and try new products. I wish I could afford to regularly use the brands you have there. I am a huge lover of Clinique and always ask for their products if my son and granddaughter ask me what I would like for birthdays and Christmas. They are generous so it fits their budget thankfully.

win Thu 15-Feb-24 17:09:29

I have just seen there is another thread on here in the beauty section which shows you exactly in which order to use what; it also explain a little about each skin type and may be helpful to you, it is perfect for beginners I would think, hope it helps and you get to enjoy your products.

CanadianGran Thu 15-Feb-24 18:48:14

You do have a lot of products to use! Just choose a few and put the others away. I would use the day and night creams, but put on the serum before the night cream. If you use the serum before you brush your teeth, it will give it a few moments to sink in, then put on some night cream.

I only ever used to use one cream for both day and night, but now have a serum to add to the routine. Hopefully to reduce spots; we'll see if there are any results.

Tenko Thu 15-Feb-24 19:04:32

I love a beauty product and have always looked after my skin.
The routine is cleanse , tone and moisture.
I use a facial wash in the shower in the morning. Then a serum ,then a face cream with with factor 30 .
In the evening, I cleanse , tone , apply a night time serum with retinol. Then a night cream and eye cream .
As someone said the more liquid products go on first under a face cream.
I also donā€™t mix products and donā€™t go high end . I normally use Olay or boots no 7 .
If using anything with retinol you must use a face cream with at least factor 30 as it makes your skin more sensitive to the sun .
Oh and the EstƩe Lauder products are super expensive and are always on beauty editors top ten list.

TinSoldier Thu 15-Feb-24 19:06:44

Iā€™m quoting Harvard Health on this:

The fact is that despite the long lists of obscure ingredients and the pseudoscientific hokum, all moisturizers help with dry skin for a pretty simple reason: they supply a little bit of water to the skin and contain a greasy substance that holds it in. In fact, if greasiness weren't a problem, we might all go back to using the solution for dry skin that our grandparents used: 100% white petrolatum, which most of us know as Vaseline. One reason for the proliferation of moisturizers is the continuing search for a mix of ingredients that holds in water like petrolatum but feels nicer on the skin. Many products also contain humectants, ingredients that sponge up and retain water.

The good news is that despite all the unknowns and salesmanship, you really can't go very wrong with what moisturizer you choose. Almost all the moisturizers on the market will help with dry skin, and in most cases, the choice comes down to subjective experience ā€” and simply whether you like the feel and smell.

Based on that, I think it would make very little difference if you tipped the lot into one big bucket or just chose one and put the rest away - or re-gift them them if you don't think you will use them by the expiry date.

grannyactivist Thu 15-Feb-24 22:08:50

Thanks for the advice everyone. Iā€™m guessing the EstĆ©e Lauder lip oil goes on at night?

I know that some of these products were very expensive and were given with great generosity - Iā€™ve never bothered with even moisturiser until fairly recently, but I feel I must use these products in the spirit they were given.

I was also given a huge box of Molton Brown shower gels, but happily I know what to do with those. šŸ˜

VioletSky Thu 15-Feb-24 22:16:42

Sorry, white Nivea before very minimal makeup and blue Nivea before bed

Am very low maintenance lol

Norah Thu 15-Feb-24 22:32:15

Such wonderful gifts.

However, I use good face products on my very pale, thin, fair skin, good results. I'd never bin the gifts, it only takes a tiny bit of time to use.

First divide them into brands.

I'd use the Loreal products in the same time frame, the Estee Products later - once Loreal are empty. I use similar, just Lancome.

You have pots of day and night Revitalift, I bet it would feel lovely on your skin. Wash your face for bed, I think I see a toner for after you wash, then use the night, and a dot of any Loreal eye cream.

Next morning - wash, tone, use from the day pot.

When Revitalift is gone proceed with Estee - fantastic products.

annodomini Thu 15-Feb-24 23:09:14

Why don't you ask the people who kindly gave you these products how to use them? That would prove to them that you are making the attempt to make use of their gifts. It looks as if you have enough to last you a life-time! I always try to use products that are guaranteed not to have been tested on animals and usually, nowadays, plant-based. Now, at 83, just a light, easily absorbed moisturiser.

rubysong Thu 15-Feb-24 23:19:52

Wash face with tepid water and rub well with towel. My skin is a bit sensitive so no chemical exfoliants. Aveeno cream in the morning and Astral cream in the evening, mixed with Bio oil. The bio oil is too greasy on its own. Apart from that, I think all the expensive stuff is hype. I don't use spf cream as I blame it for my frontal fibrosing alopecia. I do stay out of the sun though and wear a hat and I haven't smoked for 50 years. I am 72 and have hardly any wrinkles.

lemsip Thu 15-Feb-24 23:22:06

well I would not like it if my friends bought me these things..

are you sure you haven't treated yourself to them from time to time and now got a collection!
if unopened take them to charity shop. or look at directions on label.

grannyactivist Fri 16-Feb-24 02:19:32

Hello lemsip. šŸ˜Š

I certainly donā€™t have the disposable income to buy expensive face products that I donā€™t know how to use and, in truth, if I did have extra money I would spend it on some new paints and canvases. (Not face paints!šŸ˜‚)

However, I do understand that my friends and family have bought these lotions and potions out of kindness, thinking they would be a treat for me. I appreciate their generosity.

JamesandJon33 Fri 16-Feb-24 06:03:17

As others have said I too do not use multiple cosmetics. On one day after washing with just water I use a cheap but lovely moisturiser from Lidl on my face. The next day rose oil, Ā£10 a bottle from Holland and Barrett. Seems to work šŸ™‚

karmalady Fri 16-Feb-24 06:38:20

Ooh I wouldn`t like to be in your shoes grannyactivist. The psychology, feeling as though you have to use the products. I would use one make only on my face, something day and something night. Not fotgetting that they are chemicals

The others might go on my legs, so I could say I have used them. I can see the kindly intentions but to be fair they look like a lot of stuff that someone has wanted to pass on without guilt

Good luck and try some small patch tests first