Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Wedding

(28 Posts)
nanabird Fri 26-Jan-24 18:49:15

My daughter is getting married in April. I've got my dress and a wonderful hat! My dilemma - tights or no tights ? I hate tights but feel at 73 maybe I should wear them ? I'd love to go bare legged but need a spray tan I'm not used to those. How long before the wedding should I have one if I do? I'd be terrified it will come off on my lovely dress. Help!

J52 Fri 26-Jan-24 19:00:28

I know how you feel, bare legs don’t seem right with glam outfits.
I would, and have, worn very fine 10 denier tights with wedding outfits.

Beechnut Fri 26-Jan-24 19:18:10

At my daughter’s wedding I wore tights and took them off at the first opportunity. If I go to any future weddings I would wear a long dress or trousers.
Whatever you decide I hope you have a lovely day.

fancythat Fri 26-Jan-24 19:32:25

The weddings I have been to, including June and Sept, most still wore tights.

V3ra Fri 26-Jan-24 19:55:21

My son is getting married in April. I have my dress and will wear hold-up stockings with it.
They don't seem as restrictive as tights, but don't use any body lotion or talc on your thighs or they won't grip!
I'm 5'5" but buy the large size to get the extra length, I find they stay up better if they're not too stretched.

Imarocker Fri 26-Jan-24 20:01:06

If you have a dress that is mid calf I would go without tights. You want to be comfortable. If you are going to wear tights or hold-ups try them out in advance.

flappergirl Fri 26-Jan-24 20:05:58

nannabird, I haven't worn tights for years. I hate, hate, hate them and stockings of any kind. I didn't even wear them to the Royal Garden party which was in May. Is your dress long enough to get away with it? Are you wearing open toed shoes?

I can't help with the spray tan issue, never had one. If you really want to go down that route I should visit a salon to ask.

Calendargirl Fri 26-Jan-24 20:34:42

I went to a very posh wedding in May a couple of years ago. I wore 10 denier ones from M&S, seamless and very fine. I wouldn’t have felt properly ‘dressed’ with bare legs, especially as mine weren’t tanned and gorgeous.

I was quite surprised how many of the ladies did wear tights actually. It was the young ones who had the spray tanned bare legs, but I certainly didn’t feel out of place.

nanabird Sat 27-Jan-24 08:16:42

Thank you everyone.

rosie1959 Sat 27-Jan-24 08:35:22

Depends on the weather April can still be cool in which case I would opt for 10 denier tights.
I had a spray tan once and found it was OK but unless your knees are still very smooth it did tend to settle a bit in any wrinkles. I prefer a moisturiser with a hint of tan that you can gradually build up until you get the desired effect.

Starof1972 Sat 27-Jan-24 08:46:08

nanabird I always use Sally Hanson Airbrush Legs for special occasions. It is amazing stuff and doesn't come off on clothing. It gives very even coverage and it just needs smoothing on. I had to have someone do mine for me but, if you have no problem with hands or wrists, application is simple. I've had lots of compliments when others have noticed my "even tan"! It comes in light or medium and the light is definitely enough for my pale skin. Hope you have a wonderful time when the day arrives.

GrannySomerset Sat 27-Jan-24 08:53:53

I remember being very envious of a bare legged Princess Diana at a very hot Buckingham Palace garden party in 1983; if good enough for her (enviable legs though) it should be good enough for nanabird!

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 27-Jan-24 09:49:07

Get some really expensive sheer tights. They will look much better than fake tan.

NotSpaghetti Sat 27-Jan-24 10:09:42

Wolford tights or hold-ups would be my go-to.
Have a lovely day.

MissInterpreted Sat 27-Jan-24 10:11:50

Starof1972

nanabird I always use Sally Hanson Airbrush Legs for special occasions. It is amazing stuff and doesn't come off on clothing. It gives very even coverage and it just needs smoothing on. I had to have someone do mine for me but, if you have no problem with hands or wrists, application is simple. I've had lots of compliments when others have noticed my "even tan"! It comes in light or medium and the light is definitely enough for my pale skin. Hope you have a wonderful time when the day arrives.

I like the sound of that, thanks for that tip. I'm going to a wedding in Corfu in June, so tights are definitely NOT an option!

Esmay Sat 27-Jan-24 11:13:37

I hate to say it , but you might have to grin and bear wearing tights !
When the photos are done - you could always pop into the loo and remove them .
I have at numerous occasions .

When it comes to a special occasion ie : a wedding I would be considering some expensive tights and pooping a spare pair in my bag - much as I loath wearing them !
I just find them them so uncomfortable . It seems that I'm not the only one !

I have had fake tans and worn leg make up in the past , but if your outfit isn't washable then , it could be ruined .

Sally Hansen is the best product that I've tried .

This is how a friend , who is a beautician applies fake tan to her legs :
Day one : a very thorough exfoliating on her legs paying particular attention to her feet .
Day two :
Careful application of a good moisturiser .
Day three :
After washing the moisturiser off : then a very careful application of fake tan and sitting carefully until it dries thoroughly .
Day Four : The Event .
Don't ask me about her other beauty routines - she has long despaired of me !

Washing fake tan out out of dresses is more easily done with shaving foam .

Just enjoy the wedding : everyone will be looking at the bride not at your legs !

Esmay Sat 27-Jan-24 11:17:05

For exfoliating read exfoliation .

Yesterday , I interrupted my beautician friend's routines and I felt exhausted just listening about them !
Plainly , I'm a failure on that department !

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 27-Jan-24 12:31:12

I second Wolford for tights, also Falke. Very comfortable and flattering - you get what you pay for. And you can pick a shade to match the rest of the flesh on show - face, arms, hands. Fake tan looks exactly that in the UK in April, when it can be very chilly - and how many 73 year olds can say they have flawless legs? Even sheer tights can cover imperfections.

Susie42 Sat 27-Jan-24 12:44:16

I like Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula for fake tan as it isn't too dark and doesn't rub off like some of the others do.

eddiecat78 Sat 27-Jan-24 12:53:57

I wore hold-ups for my daughter's wedding in April. M&S did some good ones but seem to have stopped that range. As someone said, it's better to go up a size. One advantage over tights is that they stay in situ when you go to the loo so are less likely to get damaged!

Chardy Sat 27-Jan-24 14:07:02

I haven't worn tights for several years. I live near the sea, no-one wears tights. Nowadays I struggle to bend my legs enough to put socks on, so the thought of putting tights on scares me! Try them out a week in advance with several pairs in reserve?

I like Dove Visible Glow (Fair, even though I used to be dark-haired and am still dark-eyed). I apply a few times over a fortnight - but if you experiment now, you can see what works for you.

Have a wonderful day.

Chardy Sat 27-Jan-24 14:10:31

I've just remembered one April baby in the family being born when it was snowing! Very rare, but it can be quite cold at Easter.

Tenko Sat 27-Jan-24 15:50:01

I hate tights except black 40 denier tights in winter . I prefer to wear midi dresses rather than just below the knee dresses which means I can go bare legged . I also find with tights my feet slip around in court shoes or open toed shoes . Bare feet give a bit of grip .
I use a tanning moisturiser from April until October . It develops gradually and gives a more natural colour than a spray tan or proper fake tan. The garnier one smells nice as does the dove one and they come in light and dark . There is one which is tinted and you can see where you’ve applied it . I can’t remember the name .
If you do go bare have a pedi before .

Nannashirlz Wed 31-Jan-24 15:41:15

My youngest son gets married in July I’m looking for my outfit now I’d have hold ups on. Also it might not make any difference if we still got snow

dogsmother Wed 31-Jan-24 15:48:46

Oh don’t do any kind of tights. Treat yourself to a spray tan. I did it only once in my life pre holiday and loved it. It does come off but wears off. Do check of course when seeing beautician. I really thought I would do it again but just n3ver needed too.