Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Funeral coat

(30 Posts)
RosiesMaw Thu 25-Jan-24 16:50:22

Do you have one?
I have various “subdued” wool coats but have reluctantly come to the conclusion that I need a black one.

Sadly too many elderly or not so elderly relatives and friends have died, there are too many funerals and being conservative most of those I have attended have been predominantly “black”.

Grandmabatty Thu 25-Jan-24 16:51:49

Black dress and black jacket I bought specifically for a funeral which was traditional. I can wear them separately but haven't yet

kittylester Thu 25-Jan-24 16:54:32

I have a black coat too, Maw. It is probably hopelessly out of date now. What I don't have since I lost weight is a pair of good black trousers.

Sadly, I will need them both next week.

nanaK54 Thu 25-Jan-24 16:58:07

kittylister flowers
I have two black coats - neither of which fit - must, must lose some weight

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 25-Jan-24 17:00:57

I still have my best black work coat and a black skirt suit (wouldn’t feel comfortable going to a funeral in trousers) and dress.

Aldom Thu 25-Jan-24 17:01:10

I have a classic, navy cashmere coat. I bought it in 1976. It is a long, straight style and doesn't date.

eddiecat78 Thu 25-Jan-24 17:01:23

I think "subdued" would be perfectly acceptable unless black is actually requested - which isn't likely these days . I do have an old black coat that I'm hanging on to "just in case" but I wore a bright green blazer to my father's funeral

Pantglas2 Thu 25-Jan-24 17:37:34

I’ve just passed my old M&S navy cashmere coat to my daughter Aldom - she’s used it a couple of times for funerals and I can always use it should the need arise.

My replacement is a very dark green one which sadly I’ve used twice for funerals this year. With black scarf, gloves and boots it serves its purpose but can be brightened considerably with lighter accessories for happier winter days.

Parsley3 Thu 25-Jan-24 17:41:13

My black coat didn't start off as a funeral coat but sadly that is what it has become. At the last funeral I attended we were asked to wear bright colours and I was happy to do that.

Ziplok Thu 25-Jan-24 17:43:26

I have a dark grey coat (looks almost black) which I have worn to funerals. However, it’s not just used for funerals as it can be brightened up with colourful accessories for other occasions, as Pantglas2 says about her dark green coat.

Shelflife Thu 25-Jan-24 17:46:00

I think the most important thing regarding funerals is to attend and show support and respect to the bereaved family and friends.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 25-Jan-24 17:55:13

I had a Jaques Verts long black coat which I only wore for funerals and Remembrance Sunday. It bit the dust a year or so ago and I bought a black Phase Eight coat which I wore to my aunt’s funeral before Christmas. As someone pointed out, when you get to our age funerals are rather more abundant, sadly.

Marydoll Thu 25-Jan-24 17:58:04

I have one, it doesn't quite close and a Phase Eight black dress.
It has never been worn and I couldn't find it in the summer, when I needed it. Turned out it was up the loft with the winter stuff.
I also have a smart black jacket and trousers. just in case.

grannyactivist Thu 25-Jan-24 18:30:40

I have a particular black dress and two black coats that I wear as my funeral outfits and I also have several wedding outfits. I attend a lot of both, sometimes as officiant/speaker. I used to double up my wedding outfits for Christenings, but that’s not called for so much anymore.

silverlining48 Thu 25-Jan-24 18:39:08

I have only been to about 5 or 6 funerals in my life which included 3 parents. Tiny family and super fit friends. Long may that continue, so no I don’t have a black funeral coat but would imagine navy or shades of blue, or grey, maroon or even bright colours are acceptable. We wore my mums favourite colour at her funeral.

fancythat Thu 25-Jan-24 18:41:50

I have various jackets/coats according to season and whether friend or family etc.
What I wear underneath does not change a great deal, but outerwear does.

Witzend Thu 25-Jan-24 18:42:03

The darkest coat I have is a decidedly scruffy Barbour type of thing.
I wore a camel coat to the last funeral we attended, in late December. Some people were all in black, but most weren’t. I don’t think it’s nearly so generally expected now, and I certainly wouldn’t buy a coat for the purpose.

fancythat Thu 25-Jan-24 18:47:35

Around here, it depends which geographical direction the funeral is in, as to how black.
On the whole, still very much predominately black.

Georgesgran Thu 25-Jan-24 18:55:38

My black coat didn’t start off as a funeral coat either. It must be nearly 20 years old and bought in Harrogate when a designer outlet was closing. Although it has been to funerals, it’s also been to New York 3 times and is easily lifted by a bright pashmina and matching gloves.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 25-Jan-24 19:25:34

I have a navy dress and navy coat for funerals, the dress is sleeveless so can be worn with a navy cardigan if the weather allows.

woodenspoon Thu 25-Jan-24 19:31:15

I wear a navy wool jacket from Jacques Vert with black trousers. I’ve also got a black padded long coat which I’d also wear. Having been to a few funerals in recent years, black is not the only colour worn. Grey and navy very acceptable I think.

tanith Thu 25-Jan-24 19:38:44

I have a black wool swing style coat it’s very old but looks new I do only wear it for funerals.

Bella23 Thu 25-Jan-24 19:47:53

I have a very dark navy with black buttons Jaguar before they went to M&S. When my aunt was buried it was a very cold day and I wore a very dark aubergine coat and black trousers.

cornergran Thu 25-Jan-24 19:49:32

I do have an ancient long black wool coat which still looks smart and above all fits. My usual formal funeral outfits however are grey or navy. Friends and family funerals have tended to have an any colour, relaxed dress code.

Serendipity22 Thu 25-Jan-24 19:51:56

I have a black jacket ( suit type ) I don't have a coat because a) some funerals may be in summer b) I feel more comfortable in a jacket.

I have been asked to wear bright colours to a couple of funerals. I have never felt more disrespectful, I don't know why, I mean it was the wishes if the deceased but I just didn't feel respectful turning up as if i was going to a shindig.....