Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Does a style or item dominate your wardrobe?

(109 Posts)
Brownhamster Sun 07-Jan-24 20:43:08

For me, cargo/hiking style trousers, with multiple pockets.

hollysteers Sun 07-Jan-24 20:51:04

Stripes and animal prints.

crazyH Sun 07-Jan-24 21:04:20

Trousers usually tapered) and sweatshirts in Winter. Leggings and long shirts in Summer. Boring 😂

sodapop Sun 07-Jan-24 21:23:37

Checked shirts, I must look for something different,

dogsmother Sun 07-Jan-24 21:32:02

Denim jeans.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 07-Jan-24 21:35:40

Jeans and plain shirts and jumpers.

M0nica Sun 07-Jan-24 21:42:55

No idea.

Madgran77 Sun 07-Jan-24 21:44:24

A lot of navy blue!

fancythat Sun 07-Jan-24 21:45:03

Navy. I keep having to have words with myself to try and steer myself away.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 07-Jan-24 21:46:08

Lots of navy here too, also black.

lixy Sun 07-Jan-24 21:47:56

Blue throughout pretty much apart from white tshirts.
I don't wear skirts, have just one pair of trousers for volunteer gardening and dresses must have pockets. Apart from that I'm pretty relaxed!

M0nica Sun 07-Jan-24 21:56:39

I never wear black. It makes me look like a corpse, not a good look, especially in your 80s. Blue does me no favours either. I prefer dark brown and autumn and jewel colours or dark grey and always cream rather than white.

Colour dominates my wardrobe.

Cressy Sun 07-Jan-24 21:59:00

Shift, knee length dresses - so comfortable!

Sara1954 Sun 07-Jan-24 22:04:46

Pink and purple

flappergirl Sun 07-Jan-24 22:22:09

I've come to the conclusion that I have always had sensory issues with clothes. I cut labels out, can't wear anything remotely itchy (wool is a no no) or any bows and frills. I also can't wear layers or anything around my neck. I have to wear V neck jumpers.

If my clothes don't "feel right" I can't concentrate on anything else properly. As a child I used to kick my shoes off whenever possible and still do. I even find myself feeling uncomfortable if I see someone wearing things that I can't.

This makes life rather awkward and I find buying clothes a trial by ordeal. In the winter I wear tapered trousers, non woollen jumpers, bamboo socks and chelsea boots. The summer is wonderfully liberating for me because I can wear cotton dresses and flip flops.

I prefer blues, greens, maroon and grey simply because they suit me.

winterwhite Sun 07-Jan-24 22:30:08

Fire engine red suits me better than any other colour but a bit limiting in later life. Much navy for skirts and trousers, usually cord at this time of year, but never black and never ever any garment in any variant of beige.

Bella23 Sun 07-Jan-24 22:36:18

Any shade of blue Navy, French, Airforce or Italian and a little black. things that would be described as classic and stand the test of time.
I was once described by a friend who likes bright colours as School uniform with a touch of French. Colour comes from tops and scarves.

Marydoll Sun 07-Jan-24 22:44:50

Lots of knitted dress and thick tights in winter.
Since my once titian hair has faded and now has lots of white blonde streaks, I can wear many more colours.
Black once suited me, but not any more!

Casdon Sun 07-Jan-24 22:51:13

I’m a capsule wardrobe fan, so although I love them, I don’t have loads of day to day clothes. My biggest weakness is footwear, particularly boots. I got some new ones only last week in the sales, although they are very nice, if I’m honest with myself I really didn’t need a third pair of brown flat boots, given I already have three black pairs and a navy pair too. That’s just the short ones. I also love coats, I’ve got loads, I find them harder to get rid of than other clothes.

Joseann Sun 07-Jan-24 22:52:03

For the next few months, lots of crew neck sweaters - chunkier ones from Barbour or Boden, thinner, plain ones from Whistles or Jigsaw, teamed with jeans or good fitting trousers.

Sara1954 Mon 08-Jan-24 06:06:40

I wear a lot of black skirts to work in the winter, usually teamed with a bright sweater, I don’t own anything navy, I really don’t like it.

RosesandLilac Mon 08-Jan-24 06:12:12

Apart from having too many clothes 🙄 I hate anything tight, itchy, scratchy labels (M&S are the worse), anything around my neck and frills (rather like you flappergirl)
I don’t like pastel colours and have stopped wearing black so much, I prefer deeper colours.

Sara1954 Mon 08-Jan-24 06:31:40

Roseandlilac
I agree re itchy scratchy clothes.
I’ve got a couple of M & S jumpers, reasonably priced, lovely colours, but I can’t wear them, they drive me mad.
I don’t think this has been a great season for colour, too much grey and sludgy colours.

Curtaintwitcher Mon 08-Jan-24 06:56:42

I have a lot of polo shirts...wool and silk mostly. I just like the style.

VerbenaGirl Mon 08-Jan-24 07:04:33

I’ve just reorganised my wardrobe (not being organised or anything, the hanging bar broke because I shove too much in there!). It struck me then how there’s a real pattern of black & white patterned tapered & wide legged trousers with either black or bright yellow, green or blue tops. Plus a good handful of brightly coloured and/or patterned maxi dresses. Simple shapes, black/black & white and bright colours.