Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Elle est belle, Miss France. 🇫🇷

(69 Posts)
Joseann Mon 18-Dec-23 10:10:36

I'm in France at the moment. There seems to be some celebration, and an underlying pride, here about the winner of Miss World. Not just because she is beautiful, which she really is, but because France bit by bit is nudging towards choosing a candidate with a "difference" to represent them. Inclusivity I guess. No longer the flowing locks, but a chic pixie hair style.
Actually, as I look round here in France, I'm guessing around 75% of females, other than the younger ones, are sporting a short hair cut. Maybe time to pop into the coiffeur to chop my long bob?
A style to copy GNs if you like it?

Joseann Mon 18-Dec-23 10:11:13

Voilà

Oreo Mon 18-Dec-23 10:37:48

Well, it looks fine on her, but do any of us look as glam as her?
Short haircuts can look a bit brutal on older women.

halfpint1 Mon 18-Dec-23 10:43:25

It was the winner of miss France and
The programme went on untill 0.45.
A pretty girl but not sure her physique would be seen as beautiful by everyone

Greyisnotmycolour Mon 18-Dec-23 10:44:20

I'd love to have short hair but no matter how good the cut (and I've tried plenty) I still look like Mrs Potatohead.

Marydoll Mon 18-Dec-23 10:46:21

They don't have to be brutal, if you have a good hairdresser.
I had long, fiery and curly hair, which I had to chop, due to my RA, making it difficult to hold a hairdryer.
It took years off me!

Vive la coupe lutin!

BlueBelle Mon 18-Dec-23 10:51:09

Short hair ( nicely styled) looks much better on ‘most’ older faces than long locks in my opinion I have had a pixie cut for a very long time

Calendargirl Mon 18-Dec-23 10:54:28

She is very beautiful, and yes, love the hair!

Kate1949 Mon 18-Dec-23 10:55:12

There is too much talk about hair. As someone with alopecia totalis (total hair loss) it makes me weep.

Grammaretto Mon 18-Dec-23 10:57:23

Kate1949 ((hugs))

Grammaretto Mon 18-Dec-23 11:09:40

I showed my youngish hairdresser, 40s, a photo of Miley Cyrus and said I wanted a mullet like hers
He looked a bit surprised but attempted to copy it on my great mop.
He was pleased with his version. Unfortunately it still looked like me 😂

HousePlantQueen Mon 18-Dec-23 11:12:00

Grammaretto

Kate1949 ((hugs))

flowers

BlueBelle Mon 18-Dec-23 11:12:59

I have a friend with complete hair loss through cancer treatment Kate and she completely embraces it and has never worn anything on her head Takes courage but she looks good
Try not to define yourself by your lack of hair I m sure you look lovely but it is a bugger isn’t it we women take so much pride in our manes
My son decided at 28 that he was never going to go bald and has shaved his head ever since He looks good

Joseann Mon 18-Dec-23 11:19:37

halfpint1

It was the winner of miss France and
The programme went on untill 0.45.
A pretty girl but not sure her physique would be seen as beautiful by everyone

Oops excusez-moi oui. Getting ahead of myself! Miss 🌎 maybe next!

Cossy Mon 18-Dec-23 11:21:28

It’s a gorgeous hairstyle which would look horrendous on my round and chubby face! Haha! However I think a variation could look fabulous on many older women, especially if you still have thick hair. If you like it, go for it!

Kate1949 Mon 18-Dec-23 11:22:04

I appreciate your comments. It's easier said than done unfortunately. It's horrible.

Joseann Mon 18-Dec-23 11:24:40

My take on a very short cut is that it makes me look a bit fierce, less soft if you get me.
How do you make it look less harsh, more rounded? Is it still a bob?

Joseann Mon 18-Dec-23 11:25:42

Cossy

It’s a gorgeous hairstyle which would look horrendous on my round and chubby face! Haha! However I think a variation could look fabulous on many older women, especially if you still have thick hair. If you like it, go for it!

Aha, now I get it.... the shape of the face. So my face is quite long and needs rounding!

Joseann Mon 18-Dec-23 11:27:25

Kate1949

There is too much talk about hair. As someone with alopecia totalis (total hair loss) it makes me weep.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt. I though of posting in the News thread, but wanted to avoid any woke comments. flowers

Kate1949 Mon 18-Dec-23 11:32:37

Not at all Joseann What I meant was there is too much emphasis with beauty queens etc on hair. It is normal to talk about hair. I am the exception. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I meant the fuss about this lady, not your post.

RosiesMaw Mon 18-Dec-23 11:39:31

I’ve had short hair for years- pixie cuts included.
It’s a lot less ageing and dare I whisper more suitable for grey hair than “flowing locks” or - shock horror - wash and sets.
The sort of “big hair” of beauty pageants is all too reminiscent of Raine, the late Countess Spencer or her mother Barbara Cartland.

Aveline Mon 18-Dec-23 11:40:13

Even with my hair tied back I look like a turnip. If my hair was cut short I'd fit right in at Halloween - as a turnip lantern ( none of this sissy pumpkin nonsense!)

Joseann Mon 18-Dec-23 11:43:38

True Kate1949. The beauty queen stuff is very trivial really. (Crowning glory, didn't they used to say about hair?)

Kate1949 Mon 18-Dec-23 11:50:04

Yes indeed.

Candelle Mon 18-Dec-23 12:00:38

My observation of French women is that almost every woman has their hair worn short after the age of 45 - 50. A few wear their hair longer but always 'up', never chin length or longer.

Many wear similar clothes, too - more stiff and old-fashioned than in the UK (straight knee-length pencil skirts and twin-sets, etc.).

Short hair in older women was one thing that even my husband used to comment about. That and the fact that there seemed to be many more elderly couples instead of singletons (by death) here. It was quite noticeable.

Obviously there will be exception to the above but these are our observations.

I would quite like to look like Miss France* but alas, that will never be..... !

*Mr C would quite like me to look like Miss France, too!