Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Would you buy a dress you are unlikely to wear?

(119 Posts)
Greyisnotmycolour Sun 17-Dec-23 22:03:17

I saw a gorgeous dress that I really desired (my Mrs Harris goes to Paris moment🤣). It's not Dior price though), quite affordable but I can't see me being anywhere to wear it. I fear such occasions are behind me and it makes me very sad. I'm hoping on this thread there'll be others who feel like me & not telling me to stop being ridiculous, wasting money and get over the fact the fact that life has changed. I can't post a photo as I can't find it now but it has just left me longing for a lovely dress but knowing I'll never have any where to wear it.

Nannarose Sun 17-Dec-23 22:16:29

If you can afford it, and it won't cause you (or anyone you're close to) to miss out on anything, then why not?
If wearing it occasionally at home, or to visit friends will make you sad, don't; but if you will love the feel of it, then do.
If you think that having it in your wardrobe, all ready for a special occasion (who knows what that might be?) would make you feel good, then get it.

Greyisnotmycolour Sun 17-Dec-23 22:19:29

Ah, Nannarose, thank you for that, a cheery response 😁

Deedaa Sun 17-Dec-23 22:21:53

It's never too late to buy yourself something lovely. Presuming it's not a full blown ballgown there is bound to be something you can wear it for. Knowing you wearing something really nice is a great mood booster.

Oreo Sun 17-Dec-23 22:25:05

Buy yourself a lovely dress, why not? You never know when an occasion to wear it will come along.

Greyisnotmycolour Sun 17-Dec-23 22:25:21

It definitely wasn't a full ball gown, more of a cocktail dress I'd say. Fitted, lacy sleeves, midi length, I just wish I had somewhere to wear it 🤣

NotTooOld Sun 17-Dec-23 22:33:26

Buy it. Perhaps you can arrange an outing with friends to somewhere you could wear it? Afternoon tea at a posh hotel? Or you could sign up for ballroom dancing lessons?

Greyisnotmycolour Sun 17-Dec-23 22:39:35

Love your response NotTooOld, perhaps I can persuade some friends to a posh, dressing up event. DH wouldn't be☹️

cornergran Sun 17-Dec-23 22:42:12

Sometimes we just need to follow our hearts.

SueDonim Sun 17-Dec-23 22:44:24

Mrs Harris’s dress opened up a whole new world to her, so why not treat yourself, greyisnotmycolour? smile

nanna8 Sun 17-Dec-23 22:45:38

I’ve done it, especially with weddings in mind. It is sitting in my wardrobe as we speak, still with tags on. Can’t bear to part with it but I will quite likely never wear it. Very lacy and flowery and a gorgeous shade of turquoise. Daft as a brush I am.

Greyisnotmycolour Sun 17-Dec-23 22:51:22

Nanna8

Definitely not daft , I empathise with you. Maybe we need a Gransnet meet up at a posh place where we can all wear our dream outfits that we've been longing to air in public 🤣

Greyisnotmycolour Sun 17-Dec-23 22:52:36

Nanna8
My dream dress was dark green 😁

Dogmum2 Sun 17-Dec-23 22:54:24

Yes, if you can afford, go for it smile Arrange a 'dress up' day with a couple of friends, afternoon tea or just go somewhere for lunch and have fun x

PS. When you do, post a pic for us all

Summerfly Sun 17-Dec-23 22:55:35

You’re not on your own I promise you. I have beautiful clothes in my wardrobe with tags on. My two daughters have a field day when they’re here having a good rummage through them. At least they do get worn if not by me. 😄

Greyisnotmycolour Sun 17-Dec-23 23:02:59

Summerfly can you persuade your daughter's to take you somewhere you can wear them? They could borrow your outfits too so you all look good 😁

VioletSky Sun 17-Dec-23 23:15:35

Buy it, wear it, dance round the kitchen and feel amazing

Greyisnotmycolour Sun 17-Dec-23 23:18:32

VioletSky I love the idea of it. If I can find it again or something I love as much, I might well do that, thank you 😁

Redhead56 Sun 17-Dec-23 23:20:46

I bought a second dress for my daughters wedding but didn’t wear it and it’s still in its cover tag and all. It’s lovely but not been worn have not been anywhere special enough to wear it.
When an occasion comes for such a dress I just hope it will fit me until then I will just admire it.

Grammaretto Sun 17-Dec-23 23:26:17

Oh if you love it and it doesn't leave you penniless - buy it.

I craved a nightie, from Toast which is expensive and it seemed just indulgence but a friend told me I should go with my heart. I love it so much and wear it every night. I've even bought another. Noone sees it except me but it's warm and well made. No regrets.

Greyisnotmycolour Sun 17-Dec-23 23:35:54

Grammaretto

Good for you, I hope you're wrapped up in your lovely nightie and it was worth every penny. I'm finding this thread very reassuring, there's so much serious stuff to get preoccupied with, it's good to see that people still find space for looking after themselves and doing things that bring pleasure and fun to their lifes. It's easy to dismiss this all has frivolous but really it's essential to keeping us happy, well balanced people. I might well buy my dress and wear it around the house even if DH thinks I have lost my marbles 🤣

MayBee70 Mon 18-Dec-23 00:03:24

Absolutely. I bought a Seasalt dress recently. I’d lost a bit of weight and, for some reason, had, when I occasionally wear make up, started to wear green eye shadow. The dress was green and fitted me perfectly. I’ve no idea where I might wear it. The only time I ever dressed up was if I went to the theatre but I don’t go any more. I’ve got unworn dresses that I’ve bought for weddings because I could never decide what to wear. The occasions when I might have worn dresses would have been when the pandemic happened and I can’t get those years back. When I’m not living in my pyjamas I just throw on some leggings. I’ve also got a lock down dog that, unlike all my previous dogs, can’t really be left at home alone.

Calendargirl Mon 18-Dec-23 09:51:21

Have to disagree with everybody.

No, I wouldn’t buy any item of clothing if I didn’t think I would wear it.

That’s why we all have unused ‘stuff’ clogging up our wardrobes, plus it’s a waste of money.

henetha Mon 18-Dec-23 10:01:51

If you can afford it then why not? But if you are sure that you would never have an occasion to wear it, then maybe think again?
I almost gave in recently when I saw a dress which I fell in love with. But I managed to resist and deliberately threw the catalogue away. I sort of regret it, just sort of. But it made sense not to buy it. I can't stop thinking about that dress though.
Good luck whatever you decide.

Greyisnotmycolour Mon 18-Dec-23 10:05:52

Ah henetha that's exactly what I did and how I feel about it. I didn't buy it because I had my sensible head on but I've been longing for it ever since and was just wondering what others would do.