Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

No eyebrows

(35 Posts)
Fethiye53 Sun 17-Dec-23 19:12:35

Have to draw them on. So tired of doing this. Shaved them off when I was 19 and they've never grown back.

Grandmabatty Sun 17-Dec-23 19:14:55

Microblading is the answer. I lost mine because of an autoimmune disease and got fed up painting them on. I got them microbladed

Redhead56 Sun 17-Dec-23 19:19:14

I didn’t have thick eyebrows but plucked then thin in the 70s as it was the trend. When my dd went to uni I lost them because of stress they never grew back so I too have to pencil them in. My friends have them tattooed but it’s unnatural for my colouring so I don’t see an alternative to pencilling them in.

rubysong Sun 17-Dec-23 19:21:01

I've never had much in the way of eyebrows and now there are a few hairs but only visible very close up. If I'm going out I use light grey eyeshadow and a slanted brush to colour them in.

MerylStreep Sun 17-Dec-23 19:36:37

Redhead
I’m assuming by your username that you are a redhead?
Microblading can be done in all shades.

Redhead56 Sun 17-Dec-23 19:42:22

MerylStreep I was natural red head but now snowy white I have never heard of micro blading will look into that Thanks.

Primrose53 Sun 17-Dec-23 21:30:25

Make sure you see examples of the therapists work. My friend spent nearly £250 and ended up with microbladed eyebrows like a clown. The arch was dreadful. Nothing you can do once it’s done. Luckily for her it was summer so she wore dark glasses all summer. It is now two years and they are just visible to her but I can’t see them.

crazyH Sun 17-Dec-23 21:37:17

Eyebrows not too bad, but my hair is thinning fast😫

Greyisnotmycolour Sun 17-Dec-23 21:48:10

A friend had her eyebrows microbladed and they look fabulous, they look really natural , go for it.

Greyisnotmycolour Sun 17-Dec-23 21:52:54

But before you look at microblading ... have you tried dyeing what you have? There may be more than you think. Mine have faded so they look non- existent but I bought Eyelure dye & that has done enough for me. Still plenty there now they have some colour & dead cheap. It's worth a go before you try anything more permanent or expensive.

Nannarose Sun 17-Dec-23 22:23:38

I didn't shave or pluck my eyebrows, but I've still lost them (almost!). Be very wary of tattooing / microblading - some people will develop an allergy to the dye over time, even if the initial allergy test is clear.
The advantage of dyeing as Greyisnotmycolour suggests is that if you do develop a sensitivity, you just wash it off, apply cream, and it will settle down in a few days.

4allweknow Tue 19-Dec-23 11:26:46

I lost my eyebrows due to frontal fibrosis alopecia. I have them tattooed about every 3 years at a hospital free of charge. Just not sure about microblading. Think the "slug" style eyebrows so popular with the technique puts me off and, I'd need to pay a few hundred pounds.

BigBertha1 Tue 19-Dec-23 11:30:15

I am tempted to have mine microbladed but I will be sure to use a very experienced professional with a good track record of reviews and photos of the work.

Granmarderby10 Tue 19-Dec-23 11:36:22

The slug brow phase will pass and likewise the ludicrous lips and scary fingernails.

silverlining48 Tue 19-Dec-23 11:38:08

Like you nana rose I didn’t pluck or do anything with my eyebrows but they have all but disappeared now. Together with hair elsewhere, yet the rest of my face is flourishing.
If I cared to I could have a full beard in no time. It’s bizarre.

Jalyn Tue 19-Dec-23 11:38:34

BB1 I agree with you that it's important to do your research before selecting a practitioner. This is what I did over a couple of years, and selected someone who is experienced, professional, had excellent reviews, and photographs of her work. I also had 2 friends' recommendations for this person. She does an excellent job, it's expensive but imo completely worth it.

Jalyn Tue 19-Dec-23 11:39:57

Oh and by the way, no slug eyebrows with this practitioner.

FNODT Tue 19-Dec-23 11:41:09

Microblading is brilliant if done properly. Do your research, ask for recommendations and ask for the result to be subtle...you can always add more afterwards.

Jannipans Tue 19-Dec-23 11:45:33

I've never plucked mine but still have very thin eyebrows - (like my mum), so much so that when a policeman called, doing house to house interviews in our village, he looked at me very sceptically when I said I didn't pluck them! (he was also surprised I didn't have pierced ears! Weird questions - "for elimination purposes" apparently!) Anyway, I use a Tropic eyebrow powder with a fairly stiff brush, which allows me to get the right density of colour and a slightly wider brow line implied.

Azalea99 Tue 19-Dec-23 12:02:45

Thanks Jannipans. I’ll bear that I’m mind. Mine were always painfully sparse so I had them tattooed, which was fine with brown hair, but chemo took its toll. It’s ongoing, so I can’t risk tattooing and although I still have hair on my head (scalp cooling) the hair is mainly white now & can’t be dyed. So a soft grey eyeliner is in regular use nowadays I’m afraid.
I’ll definitely try the Tropic eyebrow powder as soon as possible.

sunglow12 Tue 19-Dec-23 12:25:11

Mine always been fair and fine . When I wear my brown eye shadow I draw a bit in my eyebrows with a cotton bud . Otherwise forget them .

win Tue 19-Dec-23 13:00:57

I have mine tinted every other month and a henna treatment on the alternative months. it works well for me and looks very natural exactly the colour and shape I like. The tint lasts a couple of weeks then fades slowly the Henna is stronger and last longer, it is all enough to keep me going without anyone noticing and changes.

Polwal Tue 19-Dec-23 13:09:03

I agree microblading . Had mine done 5years ago ...they said have them re done after 3 but what with COVID I haven't. They are still ok, I just touch them up with a bit of colour at the moment. May re do next year. Aged 65.

win Tue 19-Dec-23 13:27:04

I thought you had to top up micro blading every 6 months, that is what my salon states. 5 years is incredible Polwal, good value for sure then.

Strictlynana Tue 19-Dec-23 13:39:19

I’m still pencilling in mine but only when I go out. Just naturally thin and feeble I’m afraid. I had mine dyed once but far too dark. I looked like Freda Kahlo, and I was blonde . Aargh!!!