Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Beautiful grey hair!

(53 Posts)
spabbygirl Wed 18-Oct-23 19:49:05

I went to France a few weeks ago & many women of retirement age have grey hair and they looked gorgeous! I'm going to let mine grow out now, I have been dyeing it blonde for years and it's white underneath, my question is can I have the blonde bleached out to make it white soon? Or do I just have to let the blonde grow out then have it cut off?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 18-Oct-23 20:09:07

Speak to your hairdresser to see if you can have white/silver highlights which would ease the gradual fade of the blonde.

silverlining48 Wed 18-Oct-23 20:27:48

We got driven to the hotel in a Very fancy Mercedes really comfy.

silverlining48 Wed 18-Oct-23 20:30:22

Requestedy post to be deleted as it was intended for a friend

spabbygirl Wed 18-Oct-23 21:28:08

I don't have a hairdresser

Aldom Wed 18-Oct-23 21:48:24

One of my friends used to have her hair dyed blonde. When she was in her late sixties she had to be away from home for many months. As she was caring for a terminally ill relative visits to a hairdresser were out of the question. My friend decided to allow the dye to grow out naturally. When I eventually saw her again I could not believe the transformation.
Her hair was the most beautiful shade of white. It was satin shiny. Very beautiful. She is occasionally stopped in the street by women asking what colour she uses on her hair. My friend is now in her seventies and her hair is stunning. So I suggest you just allow your colour to grow out and see what happens. You may have a lovely surprise.

Theexwife Wed 18-Oct-23 21:58:37

Superdrug do a wash in wash out in blonde, use that if you don't like the grey roots and when you are ready stop using it and it will fade out after a couple of washes.

Attlee Wed 18-Oct-23 22:01:33

My hair is white on the front, the back is darker, but my hairdresser says that the white is starting there too.
If you don't use a hairdresser spabbygirl, could you get a friend to help you?
It is coloured an ash blonde at the moment, but at my next appointment, she will leave the front as it is and add silver highlights to the back to help to blend it in.
I'm quite excited to try it.

Nanatoone Wed 18-Oct-23 22:06:03

I let mine grow out in lockdown, when I could I had it cut short and loved it. It is now quite long and in wonderful condition. I had it cut short a few times to help get rid of the dye, it worked for me.

CocoPops Wed 18-Oct-23 22:09:11

I just let the colour grow out and the grey appeared in lots of shades. Then I shelled out for a good cut. I don't need faff about with the hair dryer and can "wash and go". Very liberating!

spabbygirl Wed 18-Oct-23 22:26:42

Thanks all!!! thats a good idea with wash in wash out colour but I'm just going to go for it now, a lady in my art has beautiful grey hair and that's a bit darker at the back too & it looks wonderful! I'm going to just go for it & grow it out but put wash in colour or silver highlights if I get really fed up with it, I will have a good cut then, it will be lovely to ditch the hairdryer etc!

silverlining48 Thu 19-Oct-23 07:32:58

I use the Superdrug wash h in 4 minute colour . It’s only £2 .

M0nica Thu 19-Oct-23 07:55:06

Going grey all depends on the pattern your hair goes grey. If you go pepper and salt to grey to white in a smooth way it is fine, but if your hair goes white round the edges with a large dark patch in the centre, the look isn't quite so good.

Unfortunately that is the pattern of going grey in my family. I have a photo of an uncle in his mid 80s, still a good head of hair, white round the edges, still dark and grey free on the crown of his head.

Redhead56 Thu 19-Oct-23 09:10:01

My hair was a copper red naturally I started going white in the front but because it was curly it wasn’t noticeable at first. I decided to use a temporary copper shampoo to cover the white which I came across from Superdrug.
It blended in well but my DD and DIL suggested it looked nice as it was natural. So I stopped using the shampoo in colour now its white a bit darker at the back but I’m happy with it. So I say go for it and embrace your natural look.

Casdon Thu 19-Oct-23 09:51:46

M0nica

Going grey all depends on the pattern your hair goes grey. If you go pepper and salt to grey to white in a smooth way it is fine, but if your hair goes white round the edges with a large dark patch in the centre, the look isn't quite so good.

Unfortunately that is the pattern of going grey in my family. I have a photo of an uncle in his mid 80s, still a good head of hair, white round the edges, still dark and grey free on the crown of his head.

I agree Monica, mine is naturally like that too and I’m not ready to embrace the grey, I’d look like a badger.
I’d try it spabbygirl, but bear in mind it might not be what you envisage - I know several people who actually dye their hair to get the grey colour they prefer, and I expect some of the ladies you saw in France did that as well.

spabbygirl Thu 19-Oct-23 09:53:54

I hadn't thought of there being different patterns of grey, I'll wait and see what my hair throws up!
I'm just going to go for it and see what happens!

Elless Thu 19-Oct-23 09:56:31

I have white at the front and it's still dark at the back, I use John Frieda's Defy Grey Brunette shampoo and it makes the grey hair look blonde.

ExDancer Thu 19-Oct-23 10:11:36

I have white hair on my left side with dark on the right, with a smattering of salt.
Its weird - I need specs for my left eye but am 20/20 in my right.
I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand but not my right.
My left shoulder is verging on 'frozen'.
I have arthritis in my left knee and ankle, but not my right.

But I'm left footed.

I would love shiny white hair - can you get good shampoos? I think we'd all love to emphasise the shine. (even of its only on one side in my case)

twinnytwin Thu 19-Oct-23 10:19:39

I started to grow my grey hair out during lockdown - I'd coloured my hair blonde for years beforehand. It was great to start with, then the dark grey started to come through and it was horrible! I didn't suit my skin colour and I looked much older and dowdy. I popped on a blonde dye and hey presto I was me again!
My DH has been a silver fox for years. If only my hair had been the colour his hair is. You never know the outcome until you try.

M0nica Thu 19-Oct-23 20:42:02

White is a colour that doesn't suit me, I have always worn cream. If my hair does go white, no signs of it yet, I intend to dye it a vivid carrot red.

Norah Thu 19-Oct-23 21:37:49

I think most women my age have white or grey colour in their hair, unless they cover it with dye. Mine is silver white. I now have blonde balayage in, lovely. I'd rather think you could have white/grey baylayage through your hair blonde (reverse of mine).

Summerfly Fri 20-Oct-23 11:28:08

I’m in the hairdresser’s now having my blonde hair (bleached) done silver grey ! Can’t wait for the foils to come off. 😃

Parpetta Fri 20-Oct-23 11:28:40

I’m not ready to go grey yet but I expect it will be so much easier to manage and less costly when and if I do.
I envy friends with lovely grey hair in super condition.;
I pay £50 every four weeks for a colour and cut. (Up North prices).

Tanjamaltija Fri 20-Oct-23 11:29:45

If you bleach the blonde off you may end up with a greenish tinge. Be careful. Just cut off as much as you can, and blow it back, so the difference in colour won't show much. I wanted to get my hair white, but the hairdresser said the roots would be grey anyway, and it would look a mess. So now I have pepper and salt, and I'm happy with it.

Saggi Fri 20-Oct-23 11:34:57

I let my blonde locks just grow out to its glorious silver ….if there had of been a hint of yellow or some such ….I would have it dyed again. Many admire it!