Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Dark spots on face

(40 Posts)
Dollymixtures Sat 14-Oct-23 19:58:53

Has anyone any good ideas to remove sun spots on face please? I have been putting factor 50 on and some cream that’s supposed to prevent them but I need to do something to make the ones I have a bit less prominent. I can cover with concealer but its not very long lasting or satisfactory. Any advice welcome.

Callistemon21 Sat 14-Oct-23 20:58:29

I have used a Clarins face cream which helped to reduce sun spots but it was very expensive so I havent bought it for some time.

I think they have changed some of their creams recently as I can't find that one online but Bright Plus Dark Spot-Targeting Gel Cream might help. On offer at the moment at Boots.

This one is a lot cheaper Eucerin Anti-Pigment Spot Corrector but is only a tiny 5ml, to target the dark spots, so ml for ml is more expensive.

Nell8 Sat 14-Oct-23 21:23:34

I've been using Boots No 7 Future Renew damage reversal serum morning and evening. It's proved very good at controlling darker areas of pigmentation. Some smaller dark spots have improved slightly but I think they are probably too old and deep to disappear completely.

I also use the night cream in the same range. During the day I add Ultrasun spf50 tinted moisturising anti-ageing sun protection in the honey colour. There is a more tan shade but that makes me look like an Oompaloompa!

Boots No 7 often have 3 for 2 offers.

CanadianGran Sat 14-Oct-23 21:25:54

If you have a clinic nearby that offers IPL (intense pulse light) treatments, they can help. A friend of mine went to a clinic to have hers looked at. I believe she had a to go a few times for results, and I didn't ask what it cost.

25Avalon Sat 14-Oct-23 21:31:56

You could try rose hip oil. It has helped fade the brown sun spots on the back of my hand.

BlueBelle Sun 15-Oct-23 05:36:34

You can’t

Casdon Sun 15-Oct-23 08:03:07

You can, IPL does work, I know several people who have had it successfully. My friend had it just before Covid, and I think it was about £500 in total, she had three sessions. It hasn’t come back, but she wears Factor 50+ sunscreen all the time.

Su22 Sun 15-Oct-23 08:11:22

After too many hours out on the farm in all weathers, my face has lots of brown patches we didn't use suncream years ago, any suggestions for covering them up? I have never worn makeup the odd time I tried it I hated the feel of it but I am sure it must have improved just don't know what to buy.

BlueBelle Sun 15-Oct-23 08:25:05

Sorry Casdon £500 on a brown mark !!!

nanna8 Sun 15-Oct-23 08:37:08

Just use some Aldi makeup. Cheap as chips and it has a sunscreen built in. No good for hands, though, just face.

Casdon Sun 15-Oct-23 08:40:15

BlueBelle

Sorry Casdon £500 on a brown mark !!!

I know - but the question was is there something that works, and IPL does.

Smiley4 Sun 15-Oct-23 09:28:34

Vitamin C serum helped mine. It’s not too expensive. X

Dollymixtures Sun 15-Oct-23 13:02:08

I already use a variety of creams and serums. Aldi does a Rose Oil which I use. I use vitamin C serum amongst a host of other creams. One of my patches is getting bigger and I’m scrupulous at putting sun cream on and particularly on the patches.

I can’t afford to spend £500 on a treatment. I thought someone may have found something effective but cheap. I can’t think what it could be though. I’ll just have to live with them I suppose.

Milest0ne Tue 17-Oct-23 11:22:46

Bio oil works for lots of skin problems including scars

sunglow12 Tue 17-Oct-23 11:43:49

I had one on my forehead that disappeared with high factor sun protection and a larger one on my neck fading . I’m finding Rosay Posay Anathelios factor 50 good at the moment as sinks in Quickly and invisible but moderately expensive at £19 at Boots or £17 on Amazon . Best to combat the cause - sun damage

sandelf Tue 17-Oct-23 11:56:35

Another vote for IPL - Google for who is providing it in your area - check their prices and deals (I had a reduction for paying for the course upfront and having sun damage and broken capillaries done [different wavelengths]). It does work - and for good (unless you really oversun). The prices are usually for whole areas, you have a test small inconspicuous area first and if you and your provider are happy, then go for the full treatment. 3 sessions are recommended, spaced to give the skin time to slough and recover between. Pricey but how much have we already spent on things that don't work?

lucky77 Tue 17-Oct-23 12:15:17

Tranexamic Acid - put it into google search and lots of products will appear across the top with links to the different brands and reviews - the percentage of the ingredient in each product will make a difference to the price. I use FaceTheory Exaglow serum which has tranexamic acid as one of the ingredients but there are cheaper alternatives available. Lots under £10 so worth a try but wear factor 30/50 every day of the year, even in winter, it is light that causes the damage, it doesn't have to be sunny. Lots of moisturisers now have sun factor added to the mix, which is the easiest way to wear SPF every day.

Newgran59 Tue 17-Oct-23 12:49:53

Probably not helpful, but I like Maybelline dream matte mouse as a concealer for my sun damage.

Fae1 Tue 17-Oct-23 13:25:28

Old enough to have age spots on face, old enough to learn to love them. I've had one for years in my cheek (73 now). Forget it's there!

PamelaJ1 Tue 17-Oct-23 13:29:20

I had a skin graft on my nose earlier this year and now have I lovely brown patch on the end of it.
I have just sent off, this morning actually, for a trail pack of camouflage make up from Veil.
I’ll let you know how I get on.

Gin Tue 17-Oct-23 13:43:32

Use a cover-up cream in a matching skin tone. It will lasts all day and covers my dark spots. There are many different makes. The cheap ones work just as well as the expensive ones. I have used many brands. The consequences of many years under African sun.

knspol Tue 17-Oct-23 13:52:20

Lucky 77 I had tranexamic acid tablets for heavy periods seems very strange to use for brown spots on face.

seadragon Tue 17-Oct-23 14:00:05

I have a brown mark on my face in the middle of my left cheek. It is heart shaped and I quite like it. It's certainly a distinguishing mark...... There are loads of freckles as well and they don't bother me either. However if they begin to change shape/texture I'd ask the GP to check them out....

Candelle Tue 17-Oct-23 15:00:54

Gin could you please suggest some brands (of cover-up cream) that you are happy with to cover sun-induced brown marks on the face?

Many thanks

Taffy1234 Tue 17-Oct-23 15:49:53

Had mine lasered off in private skin clinic. They also zapped 150 moles on my torso.
No scarring and painless.