Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Clothes spending

(212 Posts)
62Granny Fri 30-Jun-23 17:47:30

Following on from another thread, how much do you consider is a lot to spend on an everyday item of clothing?
I must admit I do shudder at spending loads on an item of clothing and anything over £30 for tops or bottoms or £50 for a dress ( I rarely buy or wear dresses) I will spend up to £100 for a good coat. I will look at items in sales usually online as I hate it when there are masses of clothes on rails all jumbled up.
I always think if you are spending £100 plus on one item then your shoes and bag also need to be of a very good quality too. But then I can't bring myself to wear that item as going to town or lunch type outfit.
Is it just me. I could afford it but something would hold me back.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Jun-23 17:56:22

If I had plenty of disposable income I’m sure I’d enjoy spending it. But I don’t. So I don’t.

HeavenLeigh Fri 30-Jun-23 18:02:58

I actually like to look smart casual when I go out shopping I absolutely love clothes, but I wouldn’t spend a lot of money on them, skinny jeans £30 top maybe bit more, I don’t keep anything for best, I have my hair cut and blow dried every 6 weeks, brows done every couple months that’s it, nails I paint myself. Gone are they days I used to spend lots of money on outfits,personally I wouldn’t spend anymore than £60 pound on a dress, and maybe £100 on a coat,

Poppyred Fri 30-Jun-23 19:06:57

I spend far too much on clothes. I just can’t help it. I’ve just bought an outfit from Next after seeing Alexander Shulman looking amazing.

CanadianGran Fri 30-Jun-23 19:43:26

I would say on average, and sorry I don't have the pound sign on my keyboard.

less than 20GBP for t-shirts
40 GBP for sweaters/cardigans
60 GBP trousers/jeans
A special occasion outfit I will spend a bit more, but that doesn't happen very often.

hollysteers Fri 30-Jun-23 19:50:23

I don’t spend too much on clothes as I like variety and feel obliged to wear something constantly if I’ve paid a lot for it. It looks at me accusingly if I don’t.
My late DH only wore expensive clothes, shopping in Jermyn Street and sometimes ‘forced’ me into something classic and expensive. I ended up resenting the piece.
I have spent hundreds in the past on evening dresses for concerts, which is a world of its own.

I’m sorry, but I cannot see what is amazing about Shulman’s look?

Marydoll Fri 30-Jun-23 19:54:48

I spend far too much on clothes, but never pay full price. At the moment, I am wearing (trying on, got it today) a £110 Boden dress, which cost me £28 from Otrium, an online clearance site.
I like Seasalt, White Stuff, Monsoon and Boden and Otrium often has bargains from them.

Sarah72 Fri 30-Jun-23 19:57:28

I’m sorry, but I cannot see what is amazing about Shulman’s look

I’m so glad you said that, I thought it was me! Jeans and a shirt?

I love clothes, but I haven’t got much money, so I buy second hand - eBay, Vinted, charity shops, etc.

Deedaa Fri 30-Jun-23 20:03:13

Lately I've mainly been buying 2nd hand Seasalt or Joe Brown's from Ebay. This is working out at up to £25 for a dress and £15 to £20 for a top.

kittylester Fri 30-Jun-23 20:23:46

I mix and match so might spend a fair amount on something from Seasalt, Kettlewell, Crew, Land's End or very little and buy from M &S or Sainsbury's. I never wear dresses or skirts.

MerylStreep Fri 30-Jun-23 20:34:20

Poppyred

I spend far too much on clothes. I just can’t help it. I’ve just bought an outfit from Next after seeing Alexander Shulman looking amazing.

More or less what I had on today. Nothing special for housework, gardening, and making a pair of trousers. ‘

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 30-Jun-23 20:41:25

There’s nothing amazing about Alexandra Shulman’s clothes - the sort of thing I wear around the house every day but hopefully not looking so sloppy.

I buy very few clothes nowadays because I have a simple country lifestyle, but I buy good quality so that things last. How many consider cost per wear? My long winter coat cost about £750 about fifteen years ago when I was working and will see me out. I have a quilted jacket worn very frequently, no idea of cost as it’s at least twenty years old. So it’s worn pretty well. I pay about £150 for jeans - slim cut, last a good ten years. I bought a shirt in a sale recently for £100 which will certainly see me out. I could go on but you get the picture. Very few clothes, worn on repeat but good quality. Cost per wear is so much less than cheap fast fashion. Instead of spending £30 on something and having a wardrobe full of cheap stuff that won’t last and will soon be out of fashion, save your money to buy something more expensive which will last (and save the environment at the same time).

Poppyred Fri 30-Jun-23 20:52:03

Wow! Never mind…. Obviously she knows nothing about looking stylish….. passed editor of Vogue.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 30-Jun-23 21:00:50

I know she was, but I don’t call that stylish.

62Granny Fri 30-Jun-23 21:14:24

Poppyred

I wore more or less that exact same look this morning, a pair of navy Italian magic trousers ( so comfortable) and a loose fit denim shirt , they cost me less that £50 for the outfit.

62Granny Fri 30-Jun-23 21:19:59

Germanshepherdsmum

There’s nothing amazing about Alexandra Shulman’s clothes - the sort of thing I wear around the house every day but hopefully not looking so sloppy.

I buy very few clothes nowadays because I have a simple country lifestyle, but I buy good quality so that things last. How many consider cost per wear? My long winter coat cost about £750 about fifteen years ago when I was working and will see me out. I have a quilted jacket worn very frequently, no idea of cost as it’s at least twenty years old. So it’s worn pretty well. I pay about £150 for jeans - slim cut, last a good ten years. I bought a shirt in a sale recently for £100 which will certainly see me out. I could go on but you get the picture. Very few clothes, worn on repeat but good quality. Cost per wear is so much less than cheap fast fashion. Instead of spending £30 on something and having a wardrobe full of cheap stuff that won’t last and will soon be out of fashion, save your money to buy something more expensive which will last (and save the environment at the same time).

I wear Jeans from BonMarche they have lasted a good 5 years and still have a year or two left in them , the designer ones I bought before didn't last as long.

Staceyann Fri 30-Jun-23 21:27:34

Some good dress bargains here - if you like White Stuff -
www.ebay.co.uk/str/whitestuffofficial/Dresses/_i.html?_sacat=63861&_pgn=1

ronib Fri 30-Jun-23 21:39:51

I knitted four very chunky Bigga wool jumpers which with Amazon yoga pants saw me through winter. These jumpers will last for years and kept me toasty warm. I accidentally bought too many dresses, skirts, blouses and so decided to not buy for awhile. I was once tempted by a Max Mara overcoat but misread the price ticket. £3200 seemed ridiculous. I thought £320. I still dream about the coat ….. I have an original black velvet jacket and suit from the 1970s with embroidered lapels and I once owned an Ossie Clarke dress. The folly of youth.

Retread Fri 30-Jun-23 21:46:07

I'm a fan of the app Vinted since being told about it by my young niece. It is "cost neutral" in that I sell clothes I no longer want on there, and then I buy on the app using the balance in my Vinted account.

There is of course rubbish on there (just like on many other sites), but you can filter by brand e.g. Boden, and also by condition e.g. BNWT or "new without tags". I also like the "one in, one out" theme of only buying when I've sold something. There is no listing or selling fee. A really fun app for buying clothes and accessories.

There is an option to transfer balance to your bank account too if you wish to do that.

Poppyred Fri 30-Jun-23 21:57:28

That’s ok. We all have our own definition of stylish…..

GrannyGravy13 Fri 30-Jun-23 22:07:28

I like good quality clothes, shoes and handbags, my money my choice.

Poppyred Fri 30-Jun-23 22:10:41

62Granny

Poppyred

I wore more or less that exact same look this morning, a pair of navy Italian magic trousers ( so comfortable) and a loose fit denim shirt , they cost me less that £50 for the outfit.

The outfit cost me £78 from Next. Lovely stretch navy cropped trousers and pale denim shirt £28. I already have silver bejewelled kitten heels and a silver clutch bag to finish the outfit.

Cant wait to show it off tomorrow night….. of course some on here will think I look sloppy…. 😂😂

Tenko Fri 30-Jun-23 22:29:54

I live in jeans and spend £30 to £40 but last me years . I don’t wear skirts or smart trouser’s as I prefer dresses as they are so easy , just throw them on. My dd is a fashion buyer on dresses and their sample size is a 12 so I get loads of dresses .
I buy good quality coats in the sales , ditto shoes and boots. Especially my dog walking boots and coats .
I also love a rummage in TK MAX

Wyllow3 Fri 30-Jun-23 22:39:30

Max spending

£110 Seasalt winter coat. Online.

Good, comfy, proper fitting shoes - up to £150, that's a priority.

Lots charity shops (summer wardrobe, winter jumpers) Fun rummaging. Got a new £8 Seasalt dress atm.

Basics M n S and TU online.

Ziplok Fri 30-Jun-23 22:54:15

Just bought a jumper in the sale. Was £79 which I would never have paid for it, reduced to £39. I liked it when I saw it at full price and kept checking, but even when it was reduced several times by 20%, I still wouldn’t buy it at that price (over £63), even though I really liked it - just didn’t think it was worth it. Saw it at £39 and decided to bite the bullet. Do like it and glad I’ve bought it, but I would never have paid more than I did.