Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Mature skin

(98 Posts)
susytish Sun 16-Apr-23 12:08:40

Have used many face creams over the years. Now want to try something new or maybe go back to an old one. One that moisturises but lifts and firms, reduces wrinkles. If there is such a thing!
What do people recommend?

silverlining48 Sun 16-Apr-23 12:33:26

Call me a cynic susytish but I dont think there is such a miracle cream out there. A friend spends a fortune on creams and treatments and while she is moisturised to an inch of her life, her skin looks exactly the same. She has done a lot of sunbathing in hot climates so her skin is very wrinkled.

In the Times supplement this weekend a new cream from Aldi was highly recommended so why not give that a try. I might. £1.99. Certainly their sun protection has won Which best buy on more than one occasion.

J52 Sun 16-Apr-23 13:02:21

Genes, not smoking and keeping out of the sun are the three things that preserve the skin.
Skin does dry out in the wind and cold weather, so a lovely soothing cream does help.
I treat myself to Clarins, I like the texture and scent, but I’m under no illusions that it better than anything else.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 16-Apr-23 13:06:56

I don’t think any cream lifts, firms or reduces wrinkles. The best you can do is wear sunscreen every day and use a moisturiser morning and night. And don’t smoke!

1summer Sun 16-Apr-23 13:11:42

I am a sucker for a new serum or moisturiser but I honestly think a good sunscreen, healthy diet and any moisturiser that suits your skin and pocket is the best thing.
I always seem to go back to The Body Shop vitamin E moisturiser, which I have used on and off for probably 30 years.

Aldom Sun 16-Apr-23 13:22:50

Superdrug Vitamin E moisturiser. About £2.45. Occasionally, buy one get one half price. I have used this for years. My skin is on the dry side, this moisturiser keeps dryness at bay. I'm eighty. Hardly any wrinkles. My skin is very good.

twiglet77 Sun 16-Apr-23 13:37:07

I’ve tried very many skin products in a wide range of budgets, and nothing has ever suited my skin as well as the Aldi Rejuvelate range. I can’t recommend it highly enough

1summer Sun 16-Apr-23 13:46:11

I may have told this story before but when I was about 16 ( many many years ago) I had a lovely aunt who was in her 80s she had absolutely beautiful skin. At the age of 14 she went into service and eventually became a ladies maid.
She told me to keep a lovely skin with no wrinkles always wear a hat and gloves to avoid the Sun ( sunscreen really wasn’t a thing then everyone oiled up to get a tan!). And never use soap on your face use oatmeal in muslin cloths. I did this for a few years but then started using others things but I have never used soap on my face.
Don’t know if it’s genetic but I don’t have any wrinkles but I do have a bit of Sun damage.

glammagran Sun 16-Apr-23 13:57:49

Seeking advice in a department store about skincare creams I was asked whether I wanted a face cream for wrinkles or one for sagging skin. When I said I wanted one for both the assistant looked utterly baffled.

YorkLady Sun 16-Apr-23 14:01:02

Aldi Caviar Illumination for me. £7.99 a pot! I used to use Gatineau but switched to this one.

Juliet27 Sun 16-Apr-23 14:07:48

I’m not too wrinkly but my face has sagged which is even worse!

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 16-Apr-23 14:12:54

I use Oil of Olay (sp) for older skin. My skin is not too bad and I haven’t many wrinkles yet at nearly 70 (next week). I gave up smoking years ago. However, my sister who is 65 and lives in Australia, has quite wrinkled and crepey skin. She is over at the moment and it is quite noticeable. I think the damp British climate can be good for skin and she left over 40 years ago.

annsixty Sun 16-Apr-23 15:43:04

I use whatever I have been given for Christmas and birthdays.
My family know that I like skincare products.
My D will mostly buy No 7 by Boots, I find it as good as any.
However my most useful advice is never ever go to bed without cleansing.
No matter how tired I am I always cleanse.

Blinko Sun 16-Apr-23 15:54:59

L’Oreal, Revitalift with spf does it for me.

Forlornhope Sun 16-Apr-23 19:26:14

Looking cheerful is the best facelift. There is nothing more ageing than the sour, bulldog chewing wasps face.

aonk Sun 16-Apr-23 20:32:16

Boots No 7 have just brought out a new range called Future Renew. It has had some excellent independent reviews. I bought some yesterday as I was running out of face cream and serum. I got £10 worth of points for spending over £60. I needed other things as well. In today’s Mail on Sunday there is a coupon for £10 off these products.

3dognight Sun 16-Apr-23 21:10:03

Liz Earle superskin moisturiser is really nice. (When it’s on special offer smile)

glammagran Sun 16-Apr-23 21:22:39

anok I did exactly the same as you on Friday using £10 voucher. Read article in Times about this and expected it to be sold out online but found it in local Boots store.

annsixty Sun 16-Apr-23 22:07:38

I live just outside Manchester and several years ago I went to afternoon tea with a friend at the Midland Hotel
I found myself sitting with a woman who worked at the Dermatology department of what was then Hope Hospital, now Salford Royal. She told me that several No 7 products were tested there to good reviews
I have read that the latest product has been tested by Manchester University and has had excellent results on scar tissue.
I have always liked their products and will continue to use them

Sara1954 Sun 16-Apr-23 22:27:05

I’ve used Clarins for probably thirty years, like J52 I doubt it does anything a cheaper one wouldn’t do, but I like it.

Shinamae Sun 16-Apr-23 22:33:44

I use a variety of moisturisers, but the one thing I always do and have done for years, is wear a factor 50 face sun protection…all year round..
Gave up smoking about 10 years ago and that has definitely helped my skin plus good genes,70 and no wrinkles…

Hetty58 Mon 17-Apr-23 00:13:27

There's no evidence that face creams (apart from sunscreen) make any difference in the long term. I use a little dab of coconut oil.

After all, skin cells grow, become surface cells - then flake away. Diet could make a big difference, though, and moisturiser helps dry skin feel more comfortable.

Wearing sunglasses and a big sun hat, sitting in the shade, even avoiding strong sunlight altogether - are cheap and easy things - that really do work.

BigBertha1 Mon 17-Apr-23 06:40:46

After a brief flirtation with Lancome I have gone back to Clarins. Our late Queen always used it apparently.

Rheia Mon 17-Apr-23 08:03:22

Clarins is my favourite too. It's smooth and works well under foundation.

susytish Mon 17-Apr-23 11:23:44

I think I am going to try Clarins. Have not used it before. Which face creams would you Advise (mature skin)?