Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Oh no, Joules is one of my favourites.

(157 Posts)
Joseanne Mon 14-Nov-22 12:28:04

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63620832

kittylester Mon 14-Nov-22 12:29:41

They used to be one of mine too but I have recently found the quality to be sadly lacking.

Fleurpepper Mon 14-Nov-22 12:38:09

Oh no. I remember Joules before 'Joules' - when she had a little shop in her father's BricaBrac yard. A great shame.

sodapop Mon 14-Nov-22 12:38:16

I used to like Joules as well but haven't bought anything for a while.

Helen631955 Mon 14-Nov-22 12:43:18

I agree.i don't buy buget as i dont want to belong to a throw away society causing cheap labour and land fill. I like clothing that lasts and never dates .However I have found several higher end stores quality is not so good and prices rising.
I have started using vintage website as clothes may be second hand but majority I have bought with recognisednames have been af good quality. Highly recommend looking on that site.
Recycling is always good.

Fleurpepper Mon 14-Nov-22 12:45:39

Reason, well I'll you guess

''Joules is latest victim of retail crisis; London stock market ‘overtaken by Paris’ – business live''

MawtheMerrier Mon 14-Nov-22 12:52:01

Fleurpepper

Oh no. I remember Joules before 'Joules' - when she had a little shop in her father's BricaBrac yard. A great shame.

Was her name Tom? confused

Joules was founded by Tom Joule, and started out selling clothes at country shows in 1989

Sarah74 Mon 14-Nov-22 12:54:03

I thought I’d read somewhere that Joules were being absorbed into Next

Joseanne Mon 14-Nov-22 12:57:59

Sarah74

I thought I’d read somewhere that Joules were being absorbed into Next

That would be good, Next is the giant of online shopping. But I will miss going in the Joules shops.

kittylester Mon 14-Nov-22 12:59:56

The reason Joules has gone bust is that they were stuck in a rut design wise but of very poor quality.

Witzend Mon 14-Nov-22 13:07:57

I used to like Joules, but went off them because of (to me) far too much of the pink and pastel-flowery.

I still have v good quality things I’ve kept for years though. A still-favourite top is mustard colour, with a big, splotchy very dark blue floral design.

I did buy some v good pyjamas in last year’s January sale - a size too big but v comfortable. Supposedly a Christmas design but it’s not obvious.

Urmstongran Mon 14-Nov-22 13:08:27

Sadly 1,600 jobs at risk as Next pulled out of negotiations.

shysal Mon 14-Nov-22 13:14:43

I have a lot of their sweatshirts and Harbour tops. The quality is good, they have lasted for years, but I don't know about their recent garments. I shall be sad to see them go.

Theexwife Mon 14-Nov-22 13:19:13

On a lighter side of the bad news, I hope that means there will be less of striped tops, wherever you are someone will be wearing one sometimes with flowers on but it is still a striped top.

Joseanne Mon 14-Nov-22 13:21:18

They're Breton tops Theexwife. Half of France wears them! grin

kittylester Mon 14-Nov-22 13:22:55

No chance - Seasalt is still there for Stripes!

Joseanne Mon 14-Nov-22 13:25:30

Closely followed by Crew and even Boden!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 14-Nov-22 13:26:32

Have bought several gifts for nieces and GC from Joules this Christmas, quality was good.

I will miss them if they do disappear.

Blossoming Mon 14-Nov-22 13:30:43

I have a few Joules pieces in my wardrobe but haven’t bought anything from them for a few years. I realised I really didn’t need any more t-shirts etc, after my lockdown declutter and I think a lot of people have felt the same, it isn’t just cost cutting.

I think a few labels have tried to cut down on manufacturing costs. The last 2 things I bought from Weird Fish were made in China and the quality was dreadful. Thin cheap material, poor workmanship and a horrible smell as though they’d been in a warehouse full of incontinent tomcats. Nothing like the lovely Weird Fish summer dresses I have previously bought. Needless to say I returned them!

Blossoming Mon 14-Nov-22 13:34:01

One can never have too many stripy tops! I’m wearing one now but it’s Lazy Jacks, not Joules.

FannyCornforth Mon 14-Nov-22 13:39:58

kittylester

The reason Joules has gone bust is that they were stuck in a rut design wise but of very poor quality.

Yes, the t shirt dresses, of which I had many, all shrank.
And what with me growing and all…
In fact I noticed this before I started putting on weight.
And the wellies are notorious for splitting.
All style no substance

Joseanne Mon 14-Nov-22 13:46:39

Take the wellies back FannyCornforth and they will exchange them no problem. DD2 is on her 4th pair but loves them!

Sarah74 Mon 14-Nov-22 13:58:26

I personally don’t like their style at all - I think it makes adults look like overgrown children (I know, adults are overgrown children!) - I always think women wearing Joules (or Boden) are about to start skipping……
But it’s good we’re all different smile

Helenlouise3 Mon 14-Nov-22 14:01:51

I've only ever bought two pieces. I find them very expensive for what they are and their patterns are the same year after year. You can spot a joules piece from a mile away.

J52 Mon 14-Nov-22 15:07:37

One of our local shops, a pity Joules Yard is shut as well.
I agree stuck in a rut, some products not so well made and they’ve obviously over invested in their new headquarters, Joules Barn.
They’re having massive sell offs, including one at Leicester race course.