Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

The Real Cost of Fast Fashion

(101 Posts)
Blossoming Sat 15-Oct-22 15:39:45

Do people ever wonder where these cheap ‘fast fashion’ dealers get the clothes from? Shocking report in the I today.

I would never buy from Shein and similar companies, I’d rather use charity shops.

inews.co.uk/news/consumer/shein-fast-fashion-workers-paid-3p-18-hour-days-undercover-filming-china-1909073

Chestnut Sat 15-Oct-22 16:42:46

What gets me is that young people, who are supposed to be so environmentally aware, are the ones buying these clothes, and leaving shed loads of rubbish behind (including tents) at Glastonbury. Maybe the oil activists should spend their time trying to educate their own age group instead of vandalising paintings and blocking roads.

I wouldn't expect an adult (of our age group) to be buying trashy clothes like this.

Blossoming Sat 15-Oct-22 16:45:37

Some Gransnet members do buy from Shein Chestnut

kittylester Sat 15-Oct-22 16:47:45

TBF, I think they are encouraged to leave tents behind at Glastonbury. They are collected and used for the homeless in this country or abroad.

kittylester Sat 15-Oct-22 16:49:10

Ooh, chestnut, that is an extremely judgmental post all round.

MerylStreep Sat 15-Oct-22 16:58:08

The production of clothing produces twice as much carbon as shipping and aviation put together.
I’ve been very impressed by Primark as a high percentage of their clothing is from recycling.
It is a dilemma as so many poor countries need this industry.

Farzanah Sat 15-Oct-22 17:04:34

Probably what they said about children in factories or going up chimneys in this country MerylStreep. If customers stopped buying things would have to change.

Chestnut Sat 15-Oct-22 17:06:56

kittylester

Ooh, chestnut, that is an extremely judgmental post all round.

Oops, sorry, I was just assuming anything costing £1.50 must be trashy. I haven't actually seen them, but surely it's the youngsters who buy them? And they are the ones who should be thinking of the environment.

Chestnut Sat 15-Oct-22 17:09:57

kittylester

TBF, I think they are encouraged to leave tents behind at Glastonbury. They are collected and used for the homeless in this country or abroad.

Maybe so, but they leave behind a whole lot more than just tents. Also, I imagine any tent left behind would be a 'disposable' one and not a quality one. So is that actually any use to homeless people if it only lasts five minutes? I don't know, I'm just guessing.

Rosie51 Sat 15-Oct-22 17:13:29

The collecting and redistribution of tents at festivals came as a consequence of them being left, and wasn't initially encouraged. I saw a program about this where they had only a very short time to collect what they could before the rest was being cleared and dumped. You're correct Chestnut, they leave all sorts of equipment and some of the tents are so cheap they aren't capable of lasting for more than the duration of the festival. If the festival goers are wanting their tents to go to the homeless a better idea would be for them to physically take them to a dropoff point.

Chestnut Sat 15-Oct-22 17:17:48

Just had a look at the Shein website and can't see anything for £1.49 as stated in the article, unless it's a cheap scarf or something.

MissAdventure Sat 15-Oct-22 17:33:36

Microsoft, Apple and other companies are not exactly squeaky clean in terms of exploitation. (Or they weren't, at least)

Of course, we then need to look at animal welfare when singing the praises of Ugg.

Blossoming Sat 15-Oct-22 17:58:41

The production of clothing produces twice as much carbon as shipping and aviation put together.

Interesting. Please can you link to a source of this information?

And presumably that applies to the clothing produced anywhere, so fast fashion is contributing carbon from the production process and then again from the transport around the world.

MissAdventure Sat 15-Oct-22 18:01:16

I'm not sure exactly what fast fashion is (not being facetious)

Does it imply things that are bought and discarded when the next fad appears?

Blossoming Sat 15-Oct-22 18:08:34

Chestnut

Just had a look at the Shein website and can't see anything for £1.49 as stated in the article, unless it's a cheap scarf or something.

I found quite a few tops at £1.49. I haven’t checked any other categories.

MissAdventure Sat 15-Oct-22 18:26:07

Shein sell absolutely everything for the home, the garden, and so on.

Shinamae Sat 15-Oct-22 18:29:46

I have never even heard of them..

MissAdventure Sat 15-Oct-22 18:32:32

Probably just as well.

They are ridiculously cheap, and I've just been reading up on some sinister stuff that cheap fashion companies do in order to foster almost addictions to their items.

silverlining48 Sat 15-Oct-22 19:25:48

I havnt heard of of Schein either but do have tee shirts costing a few pounds from primark etc which I have had fir years, 100% cotton, no sign of wear.
I assume fast fashion implies worn once then thrown out MissA. Terrible waste.

Chestnut Sun 16-Oct-22 09:54:29

The tops in those pictures are fast fashion, much favoured by youngsters who want something different to wear every time they go out. They would be binned pretty quick so hence the label 'fast fashion'. This has been going on for years but maybe even more so now.

Juliet27 Sun 16-Oct-22 10:08:27

Perhaps if clothing wasn’t so cheap we wouldn’t have this problem
Every year, some 59,000 tons of used and unsold clothing end up in Chile from all over the world. In the Atacama Desert, entire landscapes are now covered by new and old garments.

Blossoming Sun 16-Oct-22 11:34:49

Chestnut

The tops in those pictures are fast fashion, much favoured by youngsters who want something different to wear every time they go out. They would be binned pretty quick so hence the label 'fast fashion'. This has been going on for years but maybe even more so now.

Yes, they are. That’s what the article is about.

MissAdventure Sun 16-Oct-22 11:54:03

Somebody mentioned those public information ads a while back.

Perhaps they should be reintroduced, showing the damage done?

MerylStreep Sun 16-Oct-22 11:58:35

Blossoming
The lovely Simon Reeve.

Juliet
That’s where my quote came from.

Blossoming Mon 17-Oct-22 13:22:20

Thank you. I don’t know Simon Reeve so I’ll look him up.

There’s a documentary on Channel 4 tonight, sorry I don’t know the time so Google it if you’re interested.

Ch4 Inside the Shein Machine. :UNTOLD