Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Well! "It looked great" on the model [hmm] (clothes) [confused]

(51 Posts)
bikergran Sat 15-Oct-22 10:03:06

Whilst at work this week, I have been coming in and I have to walk past the George clothing, all week there has been this lovely deep blue longline polo kneck jumper.

I am going out for lunch today and thought I would love that jumper with some new black jeggings and my black boots.

(I will look good in those) so I thought!

Purchased the jumper yesterday, I'm around a 16 ish.

Bought the 12/14as they are big sloppy sizes.

Couldn't wait to get home try on with my attire (huh)

I was sooooooo dissapointed, the jumper made me look like the michelin man, I have put bit of weight on, I weight about 13 n half stone and think I must be about 5'4" so not really small.

It did nothing for me at all, I was quite dissapointed.

So its a rummage through my wardrobe now.

Have you bought things that looked good on others but then when you put them on it's dissapointing?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 15-Oct-22 10:08:41

Every time I buy something?

Riverwalk Sat 15-Oct-22 10:11:29

Clothes always look better on the young, tall, skinny models!

The colour of that jumper is lovely but the shape looks overwhelming and would make anyone look huge.

Auntieflo Sat 15-Oct-22 10:12:41

Oh yes!
I am 80, but in my head I am still 21. So not a size 12 anymore. Just a lot more cuddly.

Blossoming Sat 15-Oct-22 10:32:59

I love the blue coat! That strong colour wouldn’t suit me, peely wally wee thing that I am, but it doesn’t stop me coveting it.

baubles Sat 15-Oct-22 10:37:32

Many times.

I remember a similar thread on Mumsnet where one poster bought a biker jacket (I think) and was desperate to try it out. She said when she got ready to go out and looked in the mirror all she could see was Suzie Quatro’s fat Nan!

Still makes me laugh. ??

Nanna58 Sat 15-Oct-22 10:40:00

Change tack biketgran ( all the rage- Liz Truss is doing it!)
Get the blue coat and a blue and black top to go with your jogging s for future outings

Nanna58 Sat 15-Oct-22 10:40:29

Sorry , many typos

Yammy Sat 15-Oct-22 10:43:13

Often, then they are left in the wardrobe and I go back to old favourites. This really applies to boots I can't resist suede boots, then it snows or rains heavily they are not waterproof and I slide all over the place and out come the wellies.
For only about the third time in my life I have bought a waterproof jacket with a hood and I live in one of the wettest places in England.
Dream on I tell myself but still can't stop it.blush

FannyCornforth Sat 15-Oct-22 10:49:08

The stretchy vertical stripes aren’t helpful.
And I’ve just noticed it’s got massive batwing sleeves.

Wrap over things look awful on me.
I once bought a beautiful camel wrap around coat with a tie belt and it looked dreadful.
I was really slim then too.

Most trousers, especially jeans, look horrendous on me.

Shorts - Don Estelle.

bikergran Sat 15-Oct-22 10:55:50

Yes I love the blue coat Nanna58

Thing is like others, I love my boring old comfort clothes and as I don't go out sort of dressy up I think I just shove the jeans and hoodie on.

But love the colour. Ahh well, plan B .

Lathyrus Sat 15-Oct-22 11:11:51

If that you in the picture, I think you’re being a bit hard on yourself. If only I had legs like that?

But no I always try on in the shop (mostly because I’m such a non standard shape) and if I’m disappointed in what I see then I know it’s time to lose weight. The visual is so much more effective for me than the scales.

M0nica Sat 15-Oct-22 11:12:54

I am a size 10/12, but I would never wear a long knitted tunic like that. You cannot help looking fat in it, unless you are emaciated.

FannyCornforth Sat 15-Oct-22 11:14:45

Lathyrus

If that you in the picture, I think you’re being a bit hard on yourself. If only I had legs like that?

But no I always try on in the shop (mostly because I’m such a non standard shape) and if I’m disappointed in what I see then I know it’s time to lose weight. The visual is so much more effective for me than the scales.

Is it you in the picture Bikergran?

FannyCornforth Sat 15-Oct-22 11:16:00

M0nica

I am a size 10/12, but I would never wear a long knitted tunic like that. You cannot help looking fat in it, unless you are emaciated.

Yes, it’s the clinginess isn’t it.
You want ‘hang’ with a tunic

Gingster Sat 15-Oct-22 11:16:30

Yes all the time ?

Lathyrus Sat 15-Oct-22 11:28:42

FannyCornforth

M0nica

Yes, it’s the clinginess isn’t it.
You want ‘hang’ with a tunic

Bear in mind that, as my OH said, “Don’t women get it. Men like curves

Not that I’m insinuating you’re on the pull. Just that the look you describe as Michelin Man is really attractive to some.

Think Kardashian?

pandapatch Sat 15-Oct-22 11:36:11

Very often, I always hope they are going to make me look thinner, taller and younger - it doesn't work!!!

ixion Sat 15-Oct-22 11:39:56

direct.asda.com/george/women/jumpers-cardigans/blue-roll-neck-ribbed-jumper/GEM956191,default,pd.html

This one, bikergran from Asda? (Photo too large to download!)
If so, just look at the models's sizing?

Sizing
• Model height is 5'7"
• Model wears a size 6

(So that's what a size 6 looks like??)

Lathyrus Sat 15-Oct-22 11:50:56

Well, I think you look better than her. I really really do.

Debbi58 Sat 15-Oct-22 11:52:19

I've found over the years jumpers have got much bigger, I'm tall and slim. Size 12 top but 10 bottom ( no bum at all) I used to buy a medium or size 14. Now I buy a small or even extra small. I'm not keen on the over sized trend. My tip is Next Online , they always have a clearance section . Just bought a beautiful cashmere jumper , reduced to £21. Fits a treat, I do like to order online . Try at home with other items in my wardrobe etc. I used to buy things and then realised, I have nothing to go with it ?

FannyCornforth Sat 15-Oct-22 11:59:42

Lathyrus

Well, I think you look better than her. I really really do.

Lathyrus It’s the same model in both of the pictures

The model looks far bigger than a size 6 in the first photo.
I’m not surprised that it’s unflattering on a ‘real’ woman

GrannyGravy13 Sat 15-Oct-22 12:57:26

I am 5’ 2” 12 on top 10 on bottom, I love a jumper dress in the winter paired with opaque tights and wither pixie boots or knee highs (weather depending)

Mint Velvet have some really lovely ones this season.

Hellomonty Sat 15-Oct-22 13:09:14

It may be that you’ve bought it too small. The design is supposed to be big and baggy - if it’s designed to be true to size they will have taken into account the clinginess of the fabric. You may find it looks great if you get your actual size smile

SueDonim Sat 15-Oct-22 13:12:11

What’s with the sleeves on that jumper? confused I am not keen on the colour blue but that is a very nice shade of blue.

The thing I find with jumpers now is that they’re so short in the body. I like to keep my kidneys warm! Lots of longer length jumpers are in ribbed fabric and that does my figure no compliments whatsoever.