Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

All trussed up

(98 Posts)
silverspoon125 Thu 13-Oct-22 11:53:25

Looking at Liz Truss and the dresses (uniform) that she wears no doubt very expensive, why does the material of the dresses look so cheap, looks like there made of nylon and are clinging to her underslip. Is it just me. That said, whatever you think of her as a politician it's a sensible way to dress as I cannot imagine being in the public eye everyday waking up to " I've got nothing to wear".

Abitbarmy Thu 13-Oct-22 18:44:59

Definitely agree with Chestnut. I remarked on this only yesterday out shopping. A lot of this season’s dresses seem to be made of cheap thin material. I also returned some bras to M&S that just didn’t seem to have any guts to them if you know what I mean. Very soft but not very sturdy! Was trying to duplicate the last ones I bought but they’re nowhere near the quality.

Nanna58 Thu 13-Oct-22 18:52:17

I’m not worried about what she wears on her body- I’m just terrified about what s missing between her ears! ?

Prentice Thu 13-Oct-22 21:13:11

silverspoon125

I agree RichmondPark1, I never look at what men are wearing and that's why I think Liz Truss choice of dresses are a good idea. Keep it simple. It's just the material of the dresses I am wondering about.

I quite like her dresses, they are plain and simple, and certainly not made of nylon, is anything made of nylon now?
I think they may be made of a jersey material, or lightweight wool?

Casdon Thu 13-Oct-22 21:45:20

One of her favourites is the Karen Millen ‘forever’ dress, made of Main: 82% triacetate 18% polyester Lining: 100% polyester according to the website.
Much favoured by celebs! I still dislike the red colour on her, I think she has the same dress in other colours too.

MawtheMerrier Thu 13-Oct-22 23:20:02

I am just permanently surprised when people - men or women- are in positions where they presumably never need to look at the price ticket of a suit/jacket/dress/outfit or compromise for the sake of their wallet and they look like a dogs breakfast. Picking on no one but the following immediately spring to mind-
Boris Johnson, Liz Truss , Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie and Sarah Ferguson with monotonous regularity.
Compare with Princess of Wales, Camilla, Sophie Wessex, that lovely newsreader Reeta Chakrabarti and for the men, James Norton, Chris Smith or George Alagiah.

Chestnut Thu 13-Oct-22 23:39:51

Spot on with the dog's dinner people! I agree with that list. Sarah Ferguson always without fail manages to choose the most awful clothes which do her no favours. Her sense of style is zero.

As for the fabric quality issue, I think fabric today is manufactured more cheaply and is therefore not so good. Does anyone know where fabric was made 20-60 years ago? Just wondering if it was British fabric and now comes from abroad?

Riverwalk Fri 14-Oct-22 09:29:33

At least Truss looks neat and tidy.

Just seen footage of the deputy PM, Therese Coffey, arriving at No 10 looking like a sack of potatoes - she really is a mess and needs to smarten-up!

Deedaa Fri 14-Oct-22 23:33:19

I've always admired the way Christine Lagarde dresses, stylish but efficient. Liz always looks like a stressed supply teacher.

The only good thing I can say about Therese Coffey is that she makes me feel quite smart.

DerbyshireLass Sat 15-Oct-22 00:28:29

Coco Chanel said "dress shabbily and they remember the dress, dress impeccably and they remember the woman".

Ms Truss does not dress impeccably ........She never looks smart.

Someone in her position needs to be able to get dressed and then forget about her clothes and get on with the job in hand. In other words they need to be comfortable. She just doesn't look right or comfortable. Heels too high, her hair doesn't suit her and the dresses just don't hang right, probably due to the fabric. Her choices do nothing for her. She really needs to wear something more tailored. A structured jacket would lend an air of authority.

Chestnut......yes England was once famed for its textiles, especially cottons, linens, fine wools and tweeds. As my my name proudly announces I am from Derbyshire, traditionally part of an area at the heart of the textile industry. (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire). All the mills and factories are now gone.

I used to do a lot of my clothes shopping at the factory shops. We had several factories nearby who made clothes for M&S, in the days when they sold good quality clothes. When they moved their manufacturing to the Far East and then Eastern Europe, that's when they lost their edge and went downhill.

I despair of the cheap nasty fabrics available now, they are just not the same quality as those that were made here. Even the so called premium brands are really shoddy and inferior compared to those made in the 20th century.

The last few years have seen standards really plummet. As far as quality is concerned it's a race to the bottom. Fast fashion has killed any notions of quality. And we are paying a shocking price with appalling working conditions, sweatshops, bonded labour (often children) and environmental devastation.

I love clothes and fashion and was at one time a very keen dressmaker. I studied art and fashion and interior design at university. Now I make a point of trying to buy preloved and vintage, partly for ethical reasons but tbh vintage clothing is far better quality than most high street offerings.

I have pure wool coats that are over 30 years old and are as pristine as the day they were made. Todays offerings just don't compare.

SunshineSally Sat 15-Oct-22 05:02:32

Nanna58

I’m not worried about what she wears on her body- I’m just terrified about what s missing between her ears! ?

???

FannyCornforth Sat 15-Oct-22 06:34:24

I think that Truss’s clothes look perfectly acceptable, but I’ve only seen photos, not TV footage.
She is so awkward that she probably looks wrong whatever she wears.
She is such an odd fish. She doesn’t seem to have much going for her.
It’s totally baffling how she got this far.
Depressing really

I totally agree about fabric, and quality of clothes too.
Derbyshirelass you are spot on about M&S.
What a load of old tosh it is now.

Katie59 Sat 15-Oct-22 06:45:10

She certainly looks awkward, has she got back problems, the way way she has presented the budget is like she has “Brain Fog”, that you get with pain killers.

She’s certainly no style icon and looks “cheap” but whatever she wears is going to attract comment, it’s all part of being a woman.

Grammaretto Sat 15-Oct-22 07:43:19

The trouble with wearing dresses GrannyGravy is what to wear on your legs?
I like dresses too but for that reason.
For good fabrics you have to spend more much more but if you choose wisely and go for classics, they can last years.
I have bought, in their sale, some dresses and sweaters from Toast available at John Lewis
toa.st/collections/women

vegansrock Sat 15-Oct-22 07:51:04

She definitely needs a good bra. A jacket would look more professional and draw attention away from the dress. She doesn’t need to clomp about in heels. If I were her stylist I’d suggest a good fitting trouser suit with a white shirt not the pussy bow. Angela Merkel always seemed to wear the same jacket but looked professional and like she meant business. Men can get away with wearing the same suits all the time, women have more choices, but that can lead to more mistakes.

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Oct-22 08:27:59

Goodness. The way she dresses is, I think, the only thing I wouldn’t criticise about our PM. She’s no fashion plate (should she be?) but she’s tidy, reasonably well put together and at least doesn’t look as though she’s had a fight with a laundry basket and lost, like her predecessor.

Theoddbird Sat 15-Oct-22 09:22:16

If it was a man would you have commented on what he was wearing? I get so annoyed by posts such as these.

Vintagenonna Sat 15-Oct-22 09:26:15

I hope Tin Lizzie will feel comfortable in whatever clothes her next employer expects her to wear.

Gabrielle56 Sat 15-Oct-22 09:28:12

Absolutely! I also see cheap nasty clingy polyester! When I worked I had half dozen very smart suits each with a skirt and trousers discreet tank tops for under jackets occasionally tie neck blouses but always smart and non 'fashion' look timeless and great for no worry dressing.i suspect she is the type who refuses to take advice on anything including how dreadful her 'look' is!!!and for heaven's sake get a decent bra woman!!

grannybuy Sat 15-Oct-22 09:29:15

I generally liked Theresa May’s outfits, but I thought slightly longer skirts would have made her look more elegant. I do sometimes notice men’s attire. When Dan Walker appears on the tv screen ( channel 5 news ), it strikes me how smart he looks. These days, men’s suit trousers are often too long. In my youth, most men had made to measure suits, and trouser legs were made to fit the individual. I also notice shoes. Nothing nicer than smart, polished shoes with a suit.

Gabrielle56 Sat 15-Oct-22 09:29:33

Anyone notice qwarteng going in his front door with his shirt tails peeping below his jacket? And his plasticity looking shoes?! Happy now?

readalot Sat 15-Oct-22 09:31:08

Door furniture is the handles

Lucca Sat 15-Oct-22 09:31:30

Nicola Sturgeon always looks smart . Businesslike and stylish

4allweknow Sat 15-Oct-22 09:32:24

The dresses seem to be very stretchy and clingy. Never see any creases across her lap usually seen after sitting. Think better underwear wouldn't go amiss, just don't like seeing everything jingling about. Doesn't seem to need a jacket outside highlighting the higher temperature in the south. On another note maybe northern areas need a higher energy allowance to cope with cooler weather!

Lucca Sat 15-Oct-22 09:34:28

Theoddbird

If it was a man would you have commented on what he was wearing? I get so annoyed by posts such as these.

I get your point but yes I would ! Also sometimes it’s fun to just chat about clothes… I’m as worried as the next woman about the disaster being created but this is a bit of light relief

Nannapat1 Sat 15-Oct-22 09:44:33

As one who wears trousers 90% of the time I've never thought of it as 'dressing like a man'! I agree that trouser (pants) suits are more practical and usually look much better for female politicians.
I'd also agree that fabrics aren't what they once were, neither fabrics for clothing nor fabrics for household linen.