Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

All trussed up

(98 Posts)
silverspoon125 Thu 13-Oct-22 11:53:25

Looking at Liz Truss and the dresses (uniform) that she wears no doubt very expensive, why does the material of the dresses look so cheap, looks like there made of nylon and are clinging to her underslip. Is it just me. That said, whatever you think of her as a politician it's a sensible way to dress as I cannot imagine being in the public eye everyday waking up to " I've got nothing to wear".

Joseanne Tue 18-Oct-22 11:25:57

Not to mention all the bra comments on this thread too! grin

Blossoming Tue 18-Oct-22 11:22:46

If you’ve got ‘em flaunt ‘em FannyC grin

I’ve noticed before in Gransnet that sooner or later this sort of thread gets on to bras. Even our late Queen was criticised for her ‘ill fitting’ bra. I honestly don’t look at people’s chests that much.

FannyCornforth Tue 18-Oct-22 10:10:06

This thread has made me really paranoid about my own boobs

Doglessfornow Tue 18-Oct-22 09:47:12

What she really needs more than anything is a new, better fitting bra!

GrauntyHelen Sat 15-Oct-22 22:06:10

They could do with being a size bigger they'd sit better

Dottydots Sat 15-Oct-22 19:24:44

I worry myself sick each morning just trying to decide what to wear for a trip to my local shops. I don't envy Liz Truss.

Oldnproud Sat 15-Oct-22 18:55:35

Up until now, I've not had a good word to say about Truss, but her choice of clothing is something that really hasn't bothered me in the slightest.

Couldn't say the same about Johnson - he always looked so slovenly, totally inappropriate for the leader of a country..

Fernhillnana Sat 15-Oct-22 18:55:18

She could certainly afford better clothes for whatever she currently spends. Jersey knits in skirts, jumpers and cardigans, trousers in linen or wool. Jewel shades and good quality boots or shoes. She just has no idea or her advisers don’t.

silverspoon125 Sat 15-Oct-22 18:46:10

Saggi

Me, I love them, they make so much difference under a dress.

Zoejory Sat 15-Oct-22 17:44:59

Saggi

My only question is “ who the hell wears ‘underslips ‘ anymore?????

I was still wearing one a couple of years back! I had a tight fitting dress which was hopeless to wear with tights due to ride-up issues, but my lovely neighbour suggested a slip and it works a treat smile

MissAdventure Sat 15-Oct-22 17:41:54

I thought under slips ended when my mum died.
(At least I hoped they did)

Saggi Sat 15-Oct-22 17:11:35

My only question is “ who the hell wears ‘underslips ‘ anymore?????

Boz Sat 15-Oct-22 16:59:34

Most dresses are made of synthetic material these days to facilitate putting in the washing machine. The days of a good wool dress sent constantly to the cleaners is long gone as is an underslip(!). Dresses are lined when necessary and Truss's dresses are from designers retailing in the £2OO to £500 price bracket.

Saetana Sat 15-Oct-22 16:46:09

I think she has a lot of Karen Millen stuff. Not a massive fan of some of the dresses, think she looks better in a trouser suit. I may be biased though as I haven't worn a skirt or dress in 20 years grin

Nightsky2 Sat 15-Oct-22 16:44:18

Casdon

One of her favourites is the Karen Millen ‘forever’ dress, made of Main: 82% triacetate 18% polyester Lining: 100% polyester according to the website.
Much favoured by celebs! I still dislike the red colour on her, I think she has the same dress in other colours too.

I think it’s a beautiful dress and I also think the red suits her. I like Karen Millen clothes but only have one outfit which I bought for a wedding, it’s a bit pricey.

I do think LT could do with advise on a good fitting bra as her boobs are a bit wobbly when she walks but maybe that’s all part of the look.

Chestnut Sat 15-Oct-22 16:31:28

I've spotted her working as a maid in the last episode of Series 1 of 'Grantchester'. ???

Joseanne Sat 15-Oct-22 16:28:37

Somebody said these ladies don't wear dresses.
They do, but always with a scarf or a jacket.

RichmondPark1 Sat 15-Oct-22 16:05:26

On Twitter I saw Liz Truss likened to Tina Teaspoon from Button Moon. Cruel, but uncanny!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OMDgFZMy1w

DerbyshireLass Sat 15-Oct-22 16:01:55

LuckyFour

I can't help noticing Liz Truss's dresses, but I don't really care.
I don't think she's suitable to be prime minister, I don't like the way she speaks in that patronising way, and I think she should step down. Kwasi was blamed for the stupid tax situation, but she must have been totally involved. He wouldn't have gone ahead without her involvement. She is terrible and must go.
(I've never said this about any previous prime minister.)

He's just a scapegoat. Shows that she cannot be trusted. Threw him under a bus to save her own skin.

Well she's shown her true colours so hopefully she will be on her way out soon enough. Meanwhile she has done untold damage to our economy. And not an ounce of remorse.

Blossoming Sat 15-Oct-22 15:56:55

Lucca

Nicola Sturgeon always looks smart . Businesslike and stylish

Yes, I was just thinking that.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 15-Oct-22 15:30:38

I don’t usually comment on women’s clothes but Truss is in the public eye and definitely needs a properly fitting bra.

GrammaH Sat 15-Oct-22 15:24:33

I think her look would be vastly improved by decent, well fitting under garments. Her chest always looks like it's in the wrong place & very often, the seams in her bra can be seen through her dresses. I'm surprised Rigby and Peller haven't been besieging her with offers of assistance. She wears her clothes very badly, they don't suit her and don't sit right on her ill fitting underwear.

LuckyFour Sat 15-Oct-22 15:13:10

I can't help noticing Liz Truss's dresses, but I don't really care.
I don't think she's suitable to be prime minister, I don't like the way she speaks in that patronising way, and I think she should step down. Kwasi was blamed for the stupid tax situation, but she must have been totally involved. He wouldn't have gone ahead without her involvement. She is terrible and must go.
(I've never said this about any previous prime minister.)

grandtanteJE65 Sat 15-Oct-22 14:29:35

I would hestitate to decide on the quality of anyone's clothes if I had only seen them on the television, online news or in a newspaper, which I imagine must be the case for most of us when talking of any public figure.

I was greatly relieved to see (on TV) that at her first audience with King Charles she wore a black dress, stockings and shoes. Conventional funeral garb and appropriate to the occasion.

Her politics concern me much more than her clothes, I must admit. Whatever she wears or doesn't (!) people will criticise it, so I hope she wears what she feels right in and pays no attention to what anyone says about her clothes.

So far I haven't been able to see where her various undergarments stop and start, which is the case with a great many female and male newscasters these days!

undines Sat 15-Oct-22 14:26:29

I live in leggings and different varieties of tunics or long sweaters. If I were PM I would still wear the same, with long boots and really well-styled jackets. can't be doing with dresses if I have to wear tights (horrors!) and I find trousers uncomfortable. I'm quite slim but my waist has sadly expanded with age and if I buy trousers in a 10 or 12 they're going to be massive around my legs. Anyway - that's trivia really. Truss doesn't look too bad and what you see is one hell of a lot better than what you get, Goddess save us!