Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Where can I find petite fashion age 60

(26 Posts)
Melg Sat 17-Sep-22 14:04:47

Finding clothes in general has become more difficult but having tried again in town today, anything I did see appears to be designed for women far taller than me! I am 5ft 2in and struggling to get anything. Can anyone out there point me towards shops/brands that cater for the vertically challenged please? I am 60 but would still like to be reasonably fashionable. Thanks

JaneJudge Sat 17-Sep-22 14:07:33

have you tried next? they do a petite range

NotAGran55 Sat 17-Sep-22 14:12:05

Boden, Hobbs and Seasalt all have petite ranges.

Oasthouse Sat 17-Sep-22 14:15:01

I noticed Hobbs on line have a petit range.
I am 60 (not petit) and have been looking for a clothing company to suit my age.

libra10 Sat 17-Sep-22 14:23:46

Like yourself, I am of petite stature, and finding clothes to fit is difficult. Lengths of jackets and sleeves always have to be shortened.
Bon Marche have a good range of trousers, starting at leg length 25", but their tops and jackets are often too long for me.
Shoes are also a problem, as I take size 2. I find Skechers and Flyflots are fine for comfort, but it's difficult to find smarter shoes in small sizes.
I am currently looking for a warm, rainproof Winter jacket, with decent size pockets, that isn't too long (suitable for dog walking). The length of every jacket I've liked would almost reach my knees.
I had wondered about ordering something made to measure.
Good luck with your search.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 17-Sep-22 14:33:02

My teeny tiny daughter in law thinks New Look is good for petite clothes and small shoes.

littleflo Sat 17-Sep-22 14:44:07

Phase Eight are the best if you are short

NotAGran55 Sat 17-Sep-22 14:47:04

Libra10 have you tried Landsend?
They have a large range of petite jackets and coats.

Another option possibly?
Barbour have a great alteration service. I had the sleeves of my jacket shortened by 4 inches and you would never know.

Melg Sat 17-Sep-22 16:43:15

Thanks for your help. I have looked at some of these in town but their in shop range is so small (no pun intended) for petite clothing that I’ll just have to order from online and take a chance on sizing. I really miss Debenhams and all the other shops we used to have ☹️

libra10 Sat 17-Sep-22 17:20:38

I'm also grateful for all the suggestions, and going to look at some of the websites later.

Thank you

silverlining48 Sat 17-Sep-22 17:28:16

Of course you want to dress fashionably. Think most of us do and at 60 you aren’t old.
M&S do petite too. Asda do short lengths in trousers/jeans etc.
I have the same problem, even shorter than you and probably a lot wider.

karmalady Sat 17-Sep-22 17:37:09

people are vertically challenged in different ways eg my torso is normal length and my legs are short. I am 4` 11 and now make almost everything that I wear, I often have to take 5-6" off a skirt length. I don`t particularly like the polyesters sold anyway so I make good quality clothes in linen, viscose or cotton

If you have learnt to sew at school then there are lovely basic patterns that adapt beautifully and easily

Gin Sat 17-Sep-22 17:53:18

I am short (5 ft) and shrinking fast! Petite ranges are ok but mostly in small sizes 8-12. I can get trousers but jumpers are a nightmare they all come down to my knees! If anyone knowsof a stockist of wool or cotton jumpers that are short, please shout! I cannot wear synthetic fabrics. Perhaps I should try the children’s department. I agree shops stock a very limited number of their petite rage presumably because there are few customers. I suppose because we are all rearing giants these days. Both my daughter in laws are 6ft.

silverlining48 Sat 17-Sep-22 18:37:34

Has Next been mentioned? They seem to do most things in petite but they may have to be ordered.

Millie22 Sat 17-Sep-22 19:37:06

I've bought a few things from the Next petite range and some trousers that I love as they are the right length.

It's more difficult to find jackets that are right as they are all too long.

Blondiescot Sat 17-Sep-22 19:40:34

Try being short and fat! Most 'petite' ranges think that if you're short, you're also skinny!

emmasnan Sat 17-Sep-22 21:34:14

Roman do a petite range I think.

paddyann54 Sat 17-Sep-22 22:19:36

I've been bying some seperates form Danni Minogues range on QVC .sleeve lengths etc are pefect .I've got jumpers annd both a demim jacket and a faux suede .There are skirts and tops and desses in the range too.
I'm 68

NanKate Sat 17-Sep-22 22:42:08

M and Co. ?

Blossoming Sat 17-Sep-22 23:35:08

Yes, Roman do a petite range as emmasnan has mentioned, on trend and they’re not too pricy.

Thistlelass Sun 18-Sep-22 04:04:11

You can do Debenhams online.

QuietlyClassic Sun 20-Nov-22 16:18:41

I am also 5'2", 70+ but a bit on the heavy side, 10st 8lb. Next do quite a good petite range but where I live we have no Lands End or Boden. Most of my purchases now have to be online, which I hate. I want shops. What has happened to Minuete, Precis, Planet? I'm classic but not frumpy and just can't find clothes with style that fit. Alterations can be expensive.

QuietlyClassic Sun 20-Nov-22 16:41:12

I am also 5'2", 70+ but a bit on the heavy side. I know Next do quite a good petite range but most of my purchases now have to be online, which I hate. I want shops where I can try on and have choice. What has happened to Minuete, Precis, Planet? I'm classic but not frumpy. I live in Northern Ireland and just can't find clothes with style that fit. Alterations can be expensive. Thanks in advance for your comments.

AreWeThereYet Sun 20-Nov-22 16:47:22

My MiL was about 5' 1 towards the end of her life, and never more than 5' 3". Even 25 years ago she complained that she couldn't find many clothes that would fit her. She bought shirts, jumpers, some trousers, skirts and coats in children's ranges. Also many of her shoes for her size 3 feet. It got difficult at one point when everything for children suddenly started having fairies, cats or rabbits or childish logos on but she did have some beautiful jumpers.

Redrobin51 Sun 20-Nov-22 18:38:27

Roman Originals do a Petite range. If there isn't a shop near you they sell online. Delivery is free and it is only £3 to send things back. The quality is good.