Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Thinning hair

(108 Posts)
Pigma Sat 18-Jun-22 14:04:41

I saw a photograph of me taken from the back yesterday and my hair looked very thin on the crown, to the extent that I could clearly see my scalp through it. I’m in my seventies (just!) with dark hair that I currently colour every 6 weeks or so. Hubby confirmed that I am ‘looking a bit thin on top’. I’ve looked on the internet and there are several products I can try but just wondered, before I go shopping, if anybody has any recommendations for shampoos/treatments that they have had success with? Or is this just another age thing I have to live with? Many thanks.

granfromafar Sat 18-Jun-22 14:19:10

Pigma- I have the same problem and am in my late 60s. Have been using Plantur 39 for a few weeks and can't say I have seen any difference yet though it may be too soon to say. Also you are meant to leave it on for 2 minutes which is hard when you are having a quick shower! Haven't tried the tonic yet (you apply directly to scalp). Will watch this thread with keen interest!

Pigma Sat 18-Jun-22 14:44:52

Thank you for replying, granfromafar. Yes, Plantur 39 was one of the products I saw on the Internet. I suppose there is no instant fix and anything we try will take time - I don’t mind that as long as it works. I can cope with most of the stuff that happens as we get older but I really don’t want a bald patch if I can avoid it!

kittylester Sat 18-Jun-22 14:51:51

My hair is very thin and I use Nanogen which I find works quite well.

The trick is not to use the shampoo all the time. I was my hair everyday in the shower and I use Nanogen every 5/6:days - quite a relief as it's blooming expensive.

kittylester Sat 18-Jun-22 14:53:18

Aren't we vain! I agree about not being too bothered about anything else so long as my hair is OK.

Georgesgran Sat 18-Jun-22 14:58:26

Thinning hair was the reason I stopped colouring mine - it only exaggerated the pale scalp. However, I do use a lavender mousse to jazz up the grey, which DGS1 loves.

CountessFosco Sat 18-Jun-22 15:05:09

I have always had very thin, fine hair - nothing new there, but one could always see my scalp. Many years ago a very well qualified Swiss hairdresser told me to eat a small amount of millet flakes daily - this is the product given to birds to make their beaks strong. Have been using it for 30 years now. Whether or not it makes a huge amount of difference I cannot say, as I am loathe stop taking it. It's pretty disgusting on its own, so best to flavour it with joghurt or some such. Available from H+B at 2.99 per packet [or else from the internet = eBay]. Good luck. I feel your pain.

Farmor15 Sat 18-Jun-22 15:15:27

I think thinning hair is much more noticeable in people with dark coloured hair, particularly if it's dyed, as Georgesgrans said. I'd suggest gradually getting it coloured a bit lighter until it looks less noticable. And of course trying any products that may help.

kittylester Sat 18-Jun-22 15:25:18

I have mine highlighted for that reason and it does help.

MerylStreep Sat 18-Jun-22 15:26:26

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there isn’t a cure
If there was women like Elaine Page and Gloria Hunniford would be using the product. They both had wonderful heads of hair, have you seen them lately? Their hair is a shadow of what it used to be.
Mine was put down to my pernicious anemia, it wasn’t that. Then it was my thyroid. That was doubled, it wasn’t that.
My hair is passable when at home but when I go to a restaurant or show/wedding/party I wear a very good wig that I bought last year.
If it’s just your crown that’s thinning I would look at buying a Topper there are hundreds online. Buy a cheap one to play about with and if you like it go to a good wig shop like I did.

Pigma Sat 18-Jun-22 18:37:33

Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I agree that perhaps very dark hair shows up the problem more and actually I have been thinking starting to go a lighter colour may be more flattering as I get older and will lead into a gradual progression to being grey. I’m fine with that eventually as my mum had my hair colour and now hers is a lovely shade of grey. I just don’t feel quite ready yet though. Someone I was talking to this afternoon said her mum had had some success with Lee Stafford hair growth shampoo and conditioner (pink bottles, from Boots) so another possibility to try but I do agree that, in reality, there will be no miracle cure!

kittylester Sat 18-Jun-22 18:53:23

My hair is barely grey - just mouse. I suspect if it gets any greyer it will become dead rat.

Beautful Sat 18-Jun-22 18:55:59

To be honest my hair is fine, although I do have highlights ... I would either lighten your hair or use your natural colour as having it darker possibly will notice thining more so ... apologies if this isn't the case

Pigma Sat 18-Jun-22 19:17:25

Beautiful - yes, I think I’m going to try going a bit lighter. I currently dye my hair back to its original dark brown but am starting to think that may be a bit harsh and, of course, going lighter may not draw so much attention to the problem. I never thought I was overly vain and I don’t mind wrinkles, age spots, flabby bits and the rest of it but this is making me feel a bit self- conscious. I suppose another route to go down might be to discuss the issue with the hairdresser next time I go, she’s probably noticed already but hasn’t said. I’m off to Google Elaine Paige and Gloria Hunniford, sounds like I might be in good company!

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Jun-22 21:53:12

youtu.be/7HPvUcawioM
This may be interesting.

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Jun-22 21:54:02

Here's another one:
youtu.be/mtGV4-XE0rQ

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Jun-22 21:55:46

I think Gloria Hunniford is married to a hairdresser actually. Not 100% sure but fairly certain.

Pigma Sat 18-Jun-22 22:42:06

Thank you for those really interesting clips, NotSpaghetti. What a shame she didn’t tell us the name of the product and yes, you are right, she is married to a hairdresser. Interesting that so many women have this problem and the effect it can have on how they feel about themselves. Seems I’m not the only one, which is actually quite reassuring. I’ve never started a thread before so I am really grateful for all the responses, what a supportive gang you are, thank you.

Sparklefizz Sun 19-Jun-22 08:30:24

Pigma I have suffered hair loss due to years of health problems and stress.

You might want to try shake-on hair fibres such as TecTrich which you can get in different colours to cover up places where your scalp shows through.

dragonfly46 Sun 19-Jun-22 08:36:28

I used to have curly hair but since chemo it is straight and fine. I am also receding at the temples due to present treatment. I use Champo serum, hard to tell if it’s working but gets good reviews.

Poppyred Sun 19-Jun-22 09:16:38

There is no cure! Hair fibres mask the problem very well. You can buy them in every shade.

Kate1949 Sun 19-Jun-22 10:01:41

Hair is very important. If your hair is OK it makes you feel better. I won't go in again about my total hair loss but it is devastating. Having tried everything under the sun, I agree with Meryl. There is no cure unless you are lacking something in your body which can be remedied. This if course is true of alopecia but I'm sure thinning hair can be helped.
There are lots of threads on Gransnet with hints and tips if you have a search.

Pigma Sun 19-Jun-22 11:02:42

Thank you for your input, it’s all really useful and I will take it on board and investigate. As you say, there is no cure so I think the way forward is acceptance and ultimately the topper and fibres sound a possibility. I won’t go down without a fight! dragonfly46 and Kate1949 - very best wishes to both of you. Apologies if I have dragged up an old subject, I did have a look before I posted, obviously not far enough back. Thank you all again.

Kate1949 Sun 19-Jun-22 11:12:45

Pigma No need to apologise. This subject comes up from time to time. Looking at the old threads is sometimes helpful.

J52 Sun 19-Jun-22 11:20:53

I’ve got fine hair and over lockdown took hair skin, nails supplements. They made a little difference over a long time.
Now I’m taking Collagen that I get from Superdrug and after a month it’s made a big difference to my hair and nails.